Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best way to improve xenon headlights?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:27 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 pm
mjennings23 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:31 am

Is it much of a chore to remove the projector to clean? Considering giving it a go over the Christmas with a couple of other jobs!
4x7mm nuts. Can be done without removing the headlamp.

Mike
Is it bumper off to replace xenon ballast mike? me right one's gone pop. it's def the ballast and not the bulb sadly.
Was going to clean up the lenses on both while i'm at it....
Yup as it's at the bottom of the lamp, and trapped by the metal mounting bracket..

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:03 pm

4x7mm nuts. Can be done without removing the headlamp.

Mike
Is it bumper off to replace xenon ballast mike? me right one's gone pop. it's def the ballast and not the bulb sadly.
Yup as it's at the bottom of the lamp, and trapped by the metal mounting bracket..

Mike
drat.
thx for the confirmation.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:29 pm

Chris_D wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Mike
drat.
Have you checked the igniter? Also, if the lamp has water in it, the connector on the ballast ISN'T waterproof, so it drains right into it. I've rescued a couple by opening and drying them out, for some mad reason, the PCB isn't potted like it it on even the cheap ballasts..

Mike

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:29 pm
Chris_D wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 pm

Mike
drat.
Have you checked the igniter? Also, if the lamp has water in it, the connector on the ballast ISN'T waterproof, so it drains right into it. I've rescued a couple by opening and drying them out, for some mad reason, the PCB isn't potted like it it on even the cheap ballasts..

Mike
yer. swapped the bulbs igniters over and still no cigar.
Left to presume it's the ballast as I came back from Germany one week and noticed the headlamp was misted up. back cover off and it was like a friggin swimmin pool in there. obviously leaked through and shorted out.
oh well. it can wait til after winter. not drivin it much atm anyway. still got the Skoda Superbfantasticdivineoutstanding to play with :lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:49 pm

bradz wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 pm Your best bet is...

Leaving the headlight on the car, take the lamp out and you can undo a few nuts and remove the projector, you will find it is covered in a dirty film.. This will improve the light output.
Hi bradz,

looking at the lens I noticed that the parabolic mirror (the projector I guess) has a "milky" appearance. I guess that is what you are describing.

Are you talking about accessing the lamp and projector from the wheel arch? I looked at the engine bay and it seems very "crowded"! I am assuming it is necessary to remove the front wheel...

Also only today I realised that only the outboard/external bulbs light up for dipped and high beams...what are the inboard/internal bulbs/lens for?

Thanks in advance!
A
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Yours is a facelift, so will have bi-xenons. The "inner" doesn't have a bulb as such, just a small lamp for the halo - Yes, this can be done from inside the wheelarch.

Mike

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 pm Yours is a facelift, so will have bi-xenons. The "inner" doesn't have a bulb as such, just a small lamp for the halo - Yes, this can be done from inside the wheelarch.

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Will give it a go but guess it will have to be done by removing the wheel or at least jacking up the car to create more room...

now off to get a jack and stands :)

Happy Christmas by the way!

Attilio
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Attilio wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:07 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:57 pm Yours is a facelift, so will have bi-xenons. The "inner" doesn't have a bulb as such, just a small lamp for the halo - Yes, this can be done from inside the wheelarch.

Mike
Thanks Mike!

Will give it a go but guess it will have to be done by removing the wheel or at least jacking up the car to create more room...

now off to get a jack and stands :)

Happy Christmas by the way!

Attilio
It's doable with the wheel on, but it needs the car raising for clearance. If you've not done it before I'd advise removing the wheel.

Mike