Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to identify if my car has heated seats?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi

I have a 2004 3.0L SE which seems to be highly spec’d in terms of extras, including electric memory seats.
I’ve read several posts on the forum, and I believe that the wiring for heated seats is already likely to be present.

I wonder if it is possible that the heating elements Are also there, and I wonder if anyone can advise how to determine this? If they are there, is it just a case of me getting the switch panel and making a few connections?
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:06 pm

The heating elements won’t be there without heated seats.

Post by sticky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Ala5dair wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:01 pm Hi

I have a 2004 3.0L SE which seems to be highly spec’d in terms of extras, including electric memory seats.
I’ve read several posts on the forum, and I believe that the wiring for heated seats is already likely to be present.

I wonder if it is possible that the heating elements Are also there, and I wonder if anyone can advise how to determine this? If they are there, is it just a case of me getting the switch panel and making a few connections?
Not unless a previous owner has evicted the switch panel, so no

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 pm

do a vin check.
if it wasn't installed at factory, the panels aren't there (to follow up on sticky's scenario)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Yorkie Z

Post by Yorkie Z » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 pm

I identified my heated seats by the heat :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help it. Soon be summer :thumbsup:
A Dirty M///

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:19 pm

... not sure whether to laugh or cry now, but thanks for the comments. VIN checker shows no heated seats, but it does show headlight cleaning system, which isn’t there, making me think that the front bumper has been replaced.
Nevertheless, thanks for the comments. I will now have to keep an eye open for some heated seats on the forum... :dizzy:
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 pm

... Oh, and my car is Titan Silver ...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 pm

You should have two pumps on your washer bottle then if you car came with headlamp wash.

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Just briefly, srhutch, as a very late follow up. Both pumps are there, as are the washers. Thanks. Operator error.

I didn’t realise that a) the washers only operate when the lights are on and b) even then, they don’t operate every time, just to quote BMW, “at appropriate periods”

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pm

Ala5dair wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pmJust briefly, srhutch, as a very late follow up. Both pumps are there, as are the washers. Thanks. Operator error.

I didn’t realise that a) the washers only operate when the lights are on and b) even then, they don’t operate every time, just to quote BMW, “at appropriate periods”
Probably once per ‘X’ washes. 5 rings a bell.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:12 pmProbably once per ‘X’ washes. 5 rings a bell.
Default is 5 but I find they operate first time, every time, on turning on the lights. It is also possible to turn them off, increase the interval and a few other things like spray duration.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks, both. Yep, I found that they operate the first time the lights are switched on; my lights were on auto before, and this is what confused me. I’ve not determined what “x” is, but I’m not too bothered, just relieved that they are working, and it’s not another job to add to the list....