Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

INPA without VMWare Possible?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 pm

I would like to get INPA up an running, I have tried this a few times but appear to have problems with VMWare. My understanding is that VMWare is used because it needs to run in an XP environment.

So I installed Windows XP on an old machine hoping to dispense with VMWare. But it appears the installation routine for the version of INPA I have still installs VMWare even when the host machine is running windows XP.

Has anyone managed to get INPA running without VMWare or on a windows XP machine without VMWare?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Can't discuss this on the forum unfortunately as it's illegal software. :(
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:48 pm

Steve84N wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm Can't discuss this on the forum unfortunately as it's illegal software. :(
So if I do a search on INPA in the title only I find 38 other occurrences. many that have had healthy discussions, how come these have been discussed on the forum?

And where do you stand on discussions that include speeding that are above the speed limit that are likely to exist or the fitting of aftermarket LED headlight bulbs that are certainly not legal (unless you can show me one that is e marked), removing the catalysts from cars that have also been discussed?

I am just curious to know where the line is?
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Steve84N wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:16 pm Can't discuss this on the forum unfortunately as it's illegal software. :(
Eh? Ridiculous.
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Surely discussion is allowed, just not about where to find it or any other piracy / cracked software or forum links etc ?
Magicarcher wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 pm Has anyone managed to get INPA running without VMWare or on a windows XP machine without VMWare?
I have it running on Windows 7 x64 natively with no problems :thumbsup:

I've heard it runs on Windows 10 too, but I HATE windows 8 and above with a passion so if I must use windows (I'm an apple fan boy with a macbook) then it's going to be Windows 7 lol. I have an HP EliteBook 8470p with Dual boot Android x86 (Carly / Torque) and Windows 7 x64 (INPA, ISTA-D, ISTA-P, TIS, WDS, ETK, NCSExpert) and so on. All working fine.
Last edited by IAmOrion on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

ZedM

Post by ZedM » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:09 pm

VMWare on Windows 10 is working fine for me. :thumbsup:
2003 Sterling Grey 2.5i SE, 17" Turbines and Falkens (no tramlining!), CDV Delete, Roof Motor Relocation by DLV.

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Maybe it was the satnav discs I was thinking of. Nevermind then, I certainly don't have an issue with it. :)
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pm

I've not managed to get it working on Win 10 and my tablet is too small for ISTA :(
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 pm

I have ISTA-D running fine on Win 10 laptop, but there appears to be some things ISTA can do and some things INPA can do that ISTA can't so would like them both really. INPA has been a constant headache for me having tried 3 times now with different installs on different machines. ISTA-D in Win 10 was very straightforward.

IAmOrion

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Magicarcher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:53 pm I have ISTA-D running fine on Win 10 laptop, but there appears to be some things ISTA can do and some things INPA can do that ISTA can't so would like them both really. INPA has been a constant headache for me having tried 3 times now with different installs on different machines. ISTA-D in Win 10 was very straightforward.
Have a google search for “mikes bmw tools”
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Lol I run INPA and ISTA on a windows 8 tablet that cost 300quid 3 years ago. (so with very basic hardware)

No you dont need VMWare or winXP; you just need to know how to configure it.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:09 pm

IAmOrion wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:21 pm Have a google search for “mikes bmw tools”

Thanks will look at that later.

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 pm

GuidoK wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 pm Lol I run INPA and ISTA on a windows 8 tablet that cost 300quid 3 years ago. (so with very basic hardware)

No you dont need VMWare or winXP; you just need to know how to configure it.
Does the same apply for SSS and the other software packages that generally come bundled with INPA

Any clues on howto do it?

I tried to use the method advocated in this post (http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99 ... a-t102843/) on an old windows XP 32 bit laptop. But it fell over at the first hurdle, I trawled through the FDTI website for drivers for my cable, but none of them were accepted by windows. The device was detected but windows XP didn't like any of the drivers I tried to use (it wouldn't recognise them as valid drivers).

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Only need VM for DIS I believe. INPA was fairly straightforward....but I wouldn't want to do DIS again. Can't remember where I got my copy from now, but if you haven't already, start with a fresh install of Windows seemed to do the trick for me. Can't remember if you need EDIBAS separately as well or if it came bundled and installed with INPA. Won't work without it as that's the software link between the DME and INPA (or associated software).

Oh and also ancient laptop with Windows 7 here so should be no problem with that combo.

I would add INPA is limited in its use tbh, it's all value based so for diagnostic work it has limited capabilities unless you know what the running values should be (if that makes sense). Has some useful functions, but nothing DIS / ISTA can't do and those are in a more user friendly way so I would look towards those if you can. Nice to have both, but not essential in my opinion.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 pm

AndyBeech wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:24 pm Only need VM for DIS I believe.
Technically you could install DIS on a unix distribution but thats quite old school.
What I liked about DIS is that you can install TIS as a plugin :)
Of course ISTA has full TIS build in, but I always like the old TIS interface (ISTA TIS is hopeless), and if you have a pre 2009 car the old TIS is all you need.

INPA is easy, although which sp daten you use also really determine with which ecu in the car you can communicate without errors.

Afaik there are some strange functions that INPA can do and ISTA cant.
For example change the navi language to certain other languages (dutch for example is only available with INPA and not with ISTA I believe)
Magicarcher wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:20 pm Does the same apply for SSS and the other software packages that generally come bundled with INPA

Any clues on howto do it?
I dont use SSS/Progman tbh.

But INPA is a straight install under win7/8 etc just as it is under winXP
Obviously you have to get your cable working with drivers and assign the right cable etc in the ini file.
As far as ISTA-D goes I got some russian torrent (dont know from where anymore), used the instructions in the readme file, and deleted all the obsolete languages (like russian; every language file is like 3GB or so) to get it fit on the limited space on my tablet.
It said to use a specific inpa/ediabas version so I used that one. Dont know if thats really required or not.
Works perfectly, except its much slower than INPA (But then again it scans all the ecu's in one go so you get a nice overview right away which ecu's have codes and which havent.)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch