Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Removing run-flats and wheel alignment... What a transformation!

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Recently removed the run-flat Bridgestone Potenzas and had a wheel alignment on my 04 E85 and what a difference it's made :o

Completely got rid of the tramlining issue so it feels like a different car on the motorway.

Anyone reading this who is thinking about doing the same I'd highly advise it :thumbsup:
DSC_2835.JPG
DSC_2835.JPG (117.82 KiB) Viewed 656 times

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:34 pm

How much did it cost you for the alignment?

They've adjusted both front wheels for toe and one side for camber on the rear so hopefully no more than £50?

It's a slightly lazy approach as they haven't adjusted rear toe after it was affected by the camber increase or bothered with front camber. They might tell you front camber can't be adjusted but you can if you remove the pins.

Ideally I'd recommend you increase the front camber on the front right to match the left.

Rear camber is in spec but the car actually handles better with more like one degree and a bit rather than over 2. It can reduce inner tyre wear too with less camber.

Toe settings are reasonable, if not matched that well on the back.

Tyres are indeed a no brainer.

Glad you like the changes and if you want sharper cornering still then try more front and less rear camber. :thumbsup:
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Post by hopz121 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Glad you are happy OP but as above that alignment is pretty poor, it’s good practice to match where possible and also less rear camber will make the car drive a lot better too.

Looks like they have not touched the front camber either.
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, thats the main reason why I put up a photo of the printout for some other opinions. Really helpful explanation there Steve :thumbsup: I think he was just aiming for more green boxes than before and not being that knowledgeable in this area myself I couldn't ask for anything different.

I unfortunately missed the left front camber reading until I got home and filed the receipt. I'll give them a call tomorrow, 30 day guarantee type thing with it I believe anyway.

No, no more than £50 Steve and he was incredibly quick with it...

Steve84N

Post by Steve84N » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 pm

He did less than half the job, that's why it was so quick.

People have posted on here often with similar results to yours. The garage tells you they can't adjust front camber because the computer says you can't. The equipment is never the problem, it's the operator...

The worst places don't know how to work the software to do anything other than make it all go green. My local KwikFit for example.

Here's my reading from Monday as an example where they take their time to match it better. My guy does literally nothing but alignments. The only adjustment was front toe which was a right mess beforehand. I have max front camber and minimum rear camber that's possible with stock adjustments. My car is lowered which is why I can't get less on the rear.
IMG_20171129_020032.jpg
IMG_20171129_020032.jpg (112.07 KiB) Viewed 543 times
NB: It's in degrees and minutes so 1 30 is 1.5 degrees etc
C63 AMG Estate 6208cc

Wrighty

Post by Wrighty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm

Cheers Steve, much appreciated. I'm calling back in tomorrow afternoon