Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Best method for remote key pairing/initialisation

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:36 pm

There appears to be two principal methods for pairing keys:

Method one which is the one most commonly used and also advised in TIS:
  • get in car
  • close doors
  • key in barrel and move to position 1/R for less than 5 seconds then key out
  • press down unlock button on key and keep it pressed
  • whilst pressing unlock button, press the centre lock button three times quickly (within 15 seconds of previous step)
  • release both buttons within 15 seconds of the first press
  • the car should respond by locking and unlocking the doors, signifying the keys have been paired
I have come across a second method which is occasionally recommended:
  • get in car
  • close doors
  • key in barrel and move to ignition position and then off rapidly 5 times
  • press down unlock button on key and keep it pressed
  • whilst pressing unlock button, press the centre lock button three times quickly (within 15 seconds of previous step)
  • release both buttons within 15 seconds of the first press
  • the car should respond by locking and unlocking the doors, signifying the keys have been paired
  • finalise the process by switching the ignition on

The main differences between the two methods are underlined.

Does anyone have any experience of the second method. To my mind they are two different initiating processes, so this suggests to me they are performing something different.

The reason I ask is the first method is not working for me, but in a strange way. The car is responding to say the keys are paired, but they won't work. I tried quickly putting the ignition on after the final stage as Mike suggested, but that didn't work either. I would like to try the second method, but not keen on breaking the electrical system which appears very fickle based on my last twelve months ownership.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

ss1977

Post by ss1977 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

I used the second method a couple of weeks back and it worked for me, but only after I had driven the car around for a while using the key to be paired in the ignition to charge the key fob battery. The remote locking worked using both keys afterwards.

Hope this helps.
Current: 2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i; 2007 BMW E61 M5 Touring.
Gone: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe.

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks ss1977. I have just tried both methods with both my keys. Using both methods the keys pair to the car fine, but neither key will lock or unlock the car remotely. I am beginning to suspect the GM5 module :cry:
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm

You HAVE to do the 2nd ing on sequence to tell the car that the programming is finished.

Mike

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:47 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:30 pm You HAVE to do the 2nd ing on sequence to tell the car that the programming is finished.

Mike
Hi Mike, I assume you mean "ign" rather than "ing" I did do that using the second method, above. I will go and try again, using the first method from what you have said on another post after getting acknowledgement of pairing of both keys, within 30 seconds I need to put the ignition on for less than 4 seconds. I will go and try again and come back to you with exactly what I did and the outcome (I pretty much know it off by heart now).

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 pm

OK so here is exactly what I have done:

unlock car by inserting the key in door
enter car and sit down
close the drivers door (both doors are closed)
put key 1 into ignition barrel
turn key to position 1/R/Aux for approx 2 seconds
turn key back and remove
on key 1 hold the unlock button down
on key 1 then press the lock button 3 times quickly
on key 1 release both buttons. At this point the car locks and immediately unlocks the door (suggesting pairing)
take second key
on key 2 hold the unlock button down
on key 2 then press the lock button 3 times quickly
on key 2 release both buttons. At this point the car locks and immediately unlocks the door (suggesting pairing)
put key one back in the ignition barrel
turn the ignition on for 2-3 seconds
turn ignition off and remove key
open drivers door
leave car
close drivers door

attempt to lock the car with key 1, nothing happens
attempt to lock the car with key 2, nothing happens

The above is an exact description of what I have done. Please tell me what I am doing wrong, happy to be told I am a complete fool, just want it sorted because it is driving me mad.