Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My lil project and some ESS questions

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:14 am

Darkangelv2 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm
Piper1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:22 pm So this has been compiled over the last few years and was finally clean enough to be deemed pic worthy.
:thumbsup: It certainly is picture worthy! Lovely looking car and sounds like a lot of fun too!
Thanks, can you believe I still think it's dirty lol maybe the OCD kicking in but it's been great driving. I wish where I work now didn't use so much salt come winter time. Prior to a few years ago it was my daily driver but with how our winters have been our parking lot at work is like a gravel road just with salt so I've been putting it up due to tat now when the first sign of our lot gets pummeled.
03 Z4 2.5i
ESS VT1, Racing Dynamics SS headers ceramic coated, Full Super Sprint system, 4.10:1 LSD, K Sport BBK, Koni yellow/eibach combo, and lots of other bits
07 e86 3.0si stock for the moment

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 am

Machine monkey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm Really nice work.
I am loving the fact there are some nice clean fast non Ms out there. I think the non M car is overlooked as a track weapon. Obviously some things need changing. Much of the same stuff the M needs to be a true track beast. And this is look very well done with some really nice kit.
Hey thanks, I must admit I've been trolling some of your builds for a while and I'm still scratching my head at how much of a mad scientist you are :wink:
03 Z4 2.5i
ESS VT1, Racing Dynamics SS headers ceramic coated, Full Super Sprint system, 4.10:1 LSD, K Sport BBK, Koni yellow/eibach combo, and lots of other bits

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:29 am

Beedub wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:09 pm
id guess the above car is quite abit quicker than ///M now.... prob around the same power but with way more TQ.
I'm not sure how much quicker, I guess I'm still thinking it's in the end equal to a shade hair at best quicker modestly. I wish there was someone close by with an ///M just to have a jaunt next to and see. The best time comparison that I can offer as the quickness, for the past 2 years I had leased a mustang eco boost premium performance package (performance package has 3.55 instead of 3.31 diff gearing) and on 0-60 pulls I'm now a 1-1 1/2 car length quicker and if you put any belief to the 0-60 ratings at all the eco boots performance package is rated at 5.3 0-60. Prior I was about 3-4 car lengths slower, Unfortunately it really doesn't show true for what the kit will really push out but it was the only base I could really get for the first 2 gears at least. There's only a hand full of z4s in the area and I've only talked to 1 who had an ///M quite a few years ago now.
03 Z4 2.5i

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:43 am

Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am I'm going for the ESS in spring. Not splurging out like 10k just going for the standard kit and a set of KWs. OP that looks like a very meaty install you've got there. How are you finding it going about day to day trips?
In the warmer months I do drive it daily. In a year without a heavy vacation driving year I only do about 7k or so. For the past couple of years it's only seen warmer months. For daily if you look at just the s/c kit alone for those worried about fuel economy I really haven't noticed enough to even worry about. It feels great and has breathed a new life into the car that I was hoping for. It will all depend on how your taste of driving is and what you want to get out of it. In the end though this kit from ess is running $4295 still think of PM things you're going to need to do, there's quite a bit so from a budgeting standpoint don't read the kit price as your bottom line, in truth give yourself that 10k (a high estimate for this kit if you do just s/c) to work with as things will come up that you might want to do and budget for it ahead of time.
03 Z4 2.5i

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:13 am

Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 pm
Machine monkey wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am
Monkeydonkeyratmagic wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am I'm going for the ESS in spring. Not splurging out like 10k just going for the standard kit and a set of KWs. OP that looks like a very meaty install you've got there. How are you finding it going about day to day trips?
My coment was brakes ess suspension a diff and a z4 for about 10k you could just about do all that.

Yes sure. I wasn't disagreeing with you. I'm just saying I'm not going all out like that. Be way too easy to spunk a few K on brakes and diff. I'd rather burn through 5 sets of regular pads and discs than spend it on a nice big fancy set .

One thing I am wondering is how well standard wheel width holds up or should I chuck a bigger set of CSLs on to cope.
Prior to the K Sport bbk I had done the 3.0si brake conversion on the front and had eibach 15mm spacers on the front 25mm on the rear Wheels were stock turbine 17x8.

The KSport 330 fronts barely cleared the wheel weights to the caliper and the spokes on the turbine wheels barely clear the outer side of the caliper with the 15mm spacer. Another issue is the brake hats are thicker than a stock rotor, and one thing that I ran in to was not having a comfortable amount of thread left from the longer lug bolt that is used on the 15mm spacer. If you used eibachs 20mm spacer it bolts on then wheel to the spacer just like the 25mm does that I had on the back. If you did that there wouldn't be a problem with stock wheels to the smallest K Sport bbk offered.

All that being said I sent over to Apex the templet from K sport to make sure they'd fit and the minimum that would clear with no spacers would be 8.5 width least on the EC7. If you decide to go wider up front then you're going to need to worry about clearance and rubbing if it's a concern for you. If you drop your stance as where I'm at going with a 18x9 with a 255 35 18 you will have the occasionally rubbing, mainly at full lock to the inner plastic and making sure you set enough -camber for fenders unless you want to roll them. If it's your daily, wouldn't go down that route due to tire wear alone, that all depends on you, another give and take for performance/longevity of tires battle.

There'd be nothing wrong if you wanted to stagger on your daily so you've got plenty of options especially staying stock brake configurations.

I had spent many days and nights in discussions with apex and many locally around about this stance set up and under/over steer along with making sure things were matched right and not just put to fit to "make it work" and counter acting what I set to accomplish at the start of it.

Also food for thought I put 235 40 17 falken Axenis 615k on my turbines and it was a nice flush fit and a great gripping tire.
03 Z4 2.5i

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:36 am

Paulr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:55 pm The looks beautiful, and well engineered. I am always surprised how people are prepared to spend so much time, money and effort on what is a pretty old car with high mileage! Must be the old Motor Trader in me looking at getting the maximum returns on my investment when I sell the car.

Saying that, glad you have done, looks great, bet it drives well too.
Thank you it's a pleasure for sure.

I'll give you a bit of history with this for me.
I started looking in December of 2010 for a z4 to pass my way, in Februray of 2011 an '08 just happened to cross my path at the local bmw dealership. Test drove it Monday, all was great came back Wednesday to make the deal and the car sold. A blessing in disguise because on Thursday we found out Boarders Books and Music where my wife worked would be closing their doors for good, which she stayed through 3 liquidating stores till they were all done. The '08 on my single retail income at the time was now out of the price range so I was back to the drawing board. Come May this '03 popped up that was in perfect price range with 64k on the clock so I jumped at it. At the time I had an 87 supra as my track and project car, never ever thought I'd be modifying the Z4 in anyway....that is until I added myself to the broken spring list LOL. the rest is history. Over time it has been much easier to work on mods rather than a lump payment with the "get an ///M" frame of mind.

A couple years ago the Mrs. and I test drove a C7 Corvette stingray and a Jag F-Type S. We had talked about entering a second 2 seater into the mix, and were left with a dilemma, think about another 2 seater or try for a kid...if we had a kid not practical for 2 2seater cars in the mix and what do ya know we had a kid LOL. So the deal was to work on what I have and not worry about a new ride. So here we are kid just had a great 18 month check up and my wife's already saying the Z4 is his first car lol. It's honestly been the longest owning car I've had to date and hey why not keep it longer.

I think by the end of the day if what you've done to any car brings a smile to your face then you're getting more than what you just put into it. We're also a Jeep family and as funny as it is my winter beater now is her 2000 Wangler, and with the bulk of high dollar mods being done to the Z decided to lease a 4 door wrangler for the baby mobile. So sure in the end have a bit of a car payment for a few years but still not hefty as the others that we would've picked from.
03 Z4 2.5i

Machine monkey
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Machine monkey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 am

Piper1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 am
Machine monkey wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm Really nice work.
I am loving the fact there are some nice clean fast non Ms out there. I think the non M car is overlooked as a track weapon. Obviously some things need changing. Much of the same stuff the M needs to be a true track beast. And this is look very well done with some really nice kit.
Hey thanks, I must admit I've been trolling some of your builds for a while and I'm still scratching my head at how much of a mad scientist you are :wink:
Thanks that’s very kind. But I am sure we can drop the scientist!!! Keep the work going and do look into the steering conversion. :thumbsup:
My little blue zed is in lots of bits. With lots of things started and not many finished! I may have found the limits of my time and ability!!