Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E86 Z4 Coupe - manual versus auto?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
bakerlonglegs

Post by bakerlonglegs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 am

Another question from a newbie! :oops:

I’m looking to buy a Z4 Coupe. I see a mix of manual and auto cars on the market. Just because I’ve always had manual cars that’s my default. However, are the autos nice to drive? Have they got flappy paddles to do your own changing if you want? I wouldn’t want to dismiss a nice car just because of the ‘box.

Thanks!

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

The auto is fine .. BMW autos always are and mated to the straight six it will be a lovely thing to drive

My daily car is a BMW with the 8 speed auto and it’s amazing ... however my Zed is a manual and I wouldn’t have it any other way .. but then I don’t use it everyday and don’t commute into a city in it

Both will be lovely cars .. buy the one that suits you
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Tcochrane92

Post by Tcochrane92 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am

bakerlonglegs wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 am Another question from a newbie! :oops:

I’m looking to buy a Z4 Coupe. I see a mix of manual and auto cars on the market. Just because I’ve always had manual cars that’s my default. However, are the autos nice to drive? Have they got flappy paddles to do your own changing if you want? I wouldn’t want to dismiss a nice car just because of the ‘box.

Thanks!
Hi there,

Yes they do have flappy paddles :P

I currently own a Z4 coupe with the auto box and its a really good system IMO. It's not lazy and shifts quickly. When in normal mode, it drives economically and is fairly docile, but with plenty of ready torque, but in Sport mode it turns into a beast :evil:

I think the auto really suits the Coupe, fantastic pair tbh

By the way, if you're in the market for one, check out mine for sale :thumbsup:

For some reason my phone isn't letting my paste links. Check out the For Sale section :)
Current: Imola Red 400bhp 640d & Ocean Blue BMW S1000XR Sport SE
Past: Silver Grey Z4MR, Silver Grey Z4C & Titan Silver Z4 3.0i

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 pm

bakerlonglegs wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 am Another question from a newbie! :oops:

Thanks!
Theyre both pretty good. Bmw autos are always good to be fair. For me it depends on how you use it. If its weekend toy I would always go manual. but if its a daily with alot of congestion to tackle I'd probably pick an auto for ease. Purely my opinion but manuals are always ultimately more fun and involving to drive but a notchy gearbox can get on your nerves if your regularly stuck in traffic.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

NickDE

Post by NickDE » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:47 am

I love my Z4C Auto. Easy to drive in auto mode, silly fun in sport/manual mode. Try one.
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 am

pretty much the most divisive thread on the forum that regularly crops up..the usual consensus is those that have them love em, those that cant see past a manual hate em, those that have had both will tell you both are fine :thumbsup: test drive one and see if you like it ...if you do then buy the best car you can find within budget regardless of the box :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 pm

If you look at it from a performance point of view the manual is the way to go because its definately faster in more than one way.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

JimBob78

Post by JimBob78 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm

That's just utter nonsense.

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 pm

JimBob78 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm That's just utter nonsense.
:thumbsup:

In THEORY the coupe is 0.2s slower to 60. If you are not Lewis Hamilton then you would never notice this. You need perfect launch control which most people do not have. The auto box pulls like a loco and is much easier to drive as a 'daily' . Sport mode on , hit the kickdown and you ger a real kick in the arse. At the end of the day , drive them both and decide. If it was a weekend toy I would be more tempted by the manual. the flappy paddles are a gimmick and I never use them. I do however often push the shiter to the left and use 'manual' mode. Certain people will tell you that they can shift faster than this, have perfect clutch control, perfect heel and toe shifting down and accelerate like the Millenium Falcon. Bollocks :D
Last edited by SeanConnor on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:40 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:59 am pretty much the most divisive thread on the forum that regularly crops up..the usual consensus is those that have them love em, those that cant see past a manual hate em, those that have had both will tell you both are fine :thumbsup: test drive one and see if you like it ...if you do then buy the best car you can find within budget regardless of the box :thumbsup:
Arefreshing dose of common sense :thumbsup:

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 pm

Is it?
Not only specs bmw the manual faster in acceleration, but the manual car is also lighter.
And an automatic gearbox (the one in the e85/86 at least) has a lower efficiency. it has to run an oil pump that dissipates heat and a planetary gear system also has a very slight efficiency disadvantage.

So what exactly is 'utter nonsense'?
In what aspect exactly is the automatic gearbox as it is used in the e85/e86 faster apart from that it takes functions away that people who cant drive properly are able to mess up?
And driven in automatic mode (so not using the paddles/manumatic mode) it cant perform a number of basic functions that are taught when even taking driving lessons.
SeanConnor wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:39 pm In THEORY the coupe is 0.2s slower to 60. If you are not Lewis Hamilton then you would never notice this. You need perfect launch control which most people do not have.
Actually this is not true. The automatic cant keep up despite it is geared shorter than the manual transmission.
This not only means that its slower to 60, but in the higher gears it gets more and more slower because the gap between gears gets relatively bigger than with the manual. In the higher gears the manual is more 'close ratio' than the automatic so thats where the differences are getting bigger, so the performance difference is even more apparant.
Nowadays they solve that problem by fitting 8, 9 or even 10 speed automatics, so they solve that gearing issue with just more gears. But the e86 doesnt have that gearbox.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

TomK

Post by TomK » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 am

:rofl: :rofl:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 am

My coupe is auto. The box is fantastic and I prefer it than the box in my roadster

Although it's got the paddles I very very rarely use them. Just stick in drive and go

It will tick a long very nicely around town in traffic or it will drive very happily with spirit

SeanConnor

Post by SeanConnor » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Taz wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 am My coupe is auto. The box is fantastic and I prefer it than the box in my roadster

Although it's got the paddles I very very rarely use them. Just stick in drive and go

It will tick a long very nicely around town in traffic or it will drive very happily with spirit
Yes that's it for those of us who live in the real world :thumbsup:

Come on though I'll bet that you lose sleep over finding GuidoK next to at the lights with his mirror shades and super Z ( manual). He has learned to drive properly don't ya know. I used to own an Sw20 turbo but it had to go, It had this strange stick on the left , never did find what it was ffs :-)

step_change

Post by step_change » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:37 am

We will never agree on this and that is why there is a choice when you select your car.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav