Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Interior trim paint options

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:02 pm

I have decided I'm a bit bored of the brushed aluminium trim in my Zed despite replacing it like for like with a tidier example. So I ordered some paint to try out, plus some brushed steel vinyl wrap that won't be here until Monday.

I thought I'd trial three paint options side by side to see which one I prefer. My options were Hycote Graphite, Hycote Gunmetal and Rust-Oleum Gunmetal. I used my old bashed up dash trim to test on. I wasn't sure how this would translate in photo's but I'll have a go.

So in that order, H Graphite - H Gunmetal - R/O Gunmetal they came out like this:

Close ups

Hycote Graphite

Hycote Gunmetal

Rust-Oleum Gunmetal

Straight away Hycote Gunmetal is out of the question. The finish is too dull and of the two gunmetal options it doesn't stack up. The graphite has a nicer metallic finish but I'm afraid that in the car with the roof up it might just be a bit too dark. The Rust-Oleum gunmetal has by far the best finish. The metallic effect shimmers and catches the light, it blends nice and evenly and though darker than the original brushed aluminium I don't think it's too dull.

So it's Rust-Oleum for the win I think. Do people agree?

Now my mind is made up to change the colour of the interior trim. The downside is that having only just put the car back together I now need to rip it apart again to get the trim out. And being somebody with a severe lack of patience, do I go with gunmetal because I like it and have the weekend to get it all done and dusted, or do I wait until Monday for the brushed steel vinyl to arrive?
Last edited by thanatu55 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Painted the new one in full. I've tried to keep the grain of the brushed aluminium underneath but it's hard to tell from these photos. I'm happy with it though.

Angelus666

Post by Angelus666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Liking that a lot! Very fresh...will look nice against the blue of your car!

maxman

Post by maxman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pm

Looking at the photos the Rust Oleum looks the best option.I would wait until Monday to try the wrap before I made a final decision .
How was the paint applied,gun or can .I am thinking of doing something similar ,not sure what finish to go for.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

That Rust Oleum panel has a lovely finish OP. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JINGLE

Post by JINGLE » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pm

That looks nice!! How do you think it will hold up being used, easy to scratch etc?

thanatu55

Post by thanatu55 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Angelus666 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:37 pmLiking that a lot! Very fresh...will look nice against the blue of your car!
Thanks I hope so. Just need some daylight now to find out.

maxman wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:05 pmLooking at the photos the Rust Oleum looks the best option.I would wait until Monday to try the wrap before I made a final decision .
How was the paint applied,gun or can .I am thinking of doing something similar ,not sure what finish to go for.
Just applied from a can, it was quite an easy paint to work with. The Hycote ones not so much.

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pmThat Rust Oleum panel has a lovely finish OP.
Thanks I thought so too. A bit surprising considering it was a race to get it done before dark.

JINGLE wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pmThat looks nice!! How do you think it will hold up being used, easy to scratch etc?
I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I've knocked it a couple of times already and not a mark. It's made for painting on metal but I guess only time will tell. The good thing is that I've done it so often now this week I can whip the back off and the centre console out in half an hour so if ever it does need a touch up it won't be too difficult.

Here's the centre console painted - with aluminium ashtray and gear surround at the moment, I haven't decided what to do with these yet. I'm wondering if I do the gear surround the same colour will it be too much?

I have an idea for the ashtray, gunmetal door with this surround http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4007-BMW-Z4-e ... 2749.l2649