Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My little project Z4 2.0 Sport..

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 pm One thing I have decided after driving this 2.0, is that my 3.0 IS suffering from the "sticky steering" issue... Never really bothered me before, just thought that "they were all like that" BUT after driving the 2.0 for a few days, the steering on it is much smoother and less "fidgety" than the 3.0..

So, one more job to do on mine, and I'll be taking the "adjusting the motor" route, rather than the "drill and lube" one..

Mike
Not sure if you’ve done this mod or not Mike so excuse me if I’m teaching grandma how to suck eggs.

The two torx bolts for the concentric ring are North South, on your back in the footwell with the covers off from the under the steering motor, South is easy to get to but north is a bitch. I found, after much, much trying that a 1/4” drive with a 6” extension bar and UJ fits perfectly. However you need to get the extension bar over the motor mounting plate, it won’t go in any other way, so go downwards towards the pedals until you clear the plate, then slide the extension over the column, you’ll drop it a few times....and swear a few times.... :lol: line it up with the torx bolt, then add the ratchet. It’s easy like this, but IIRC only a 6” extension will fit, either way from 6” you’ll hit the column or bulkhead and not get near the bolt.

Have fun, it’s a pain being on your back with the seat in the way, much easier with the seat out if you’re not pressed for time. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm

Smartbear wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:47 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 pm One thing I have decided after driving this 2.0, is that my 3.0 IS suffering from the "sticky steering" issue... Never really bothered me before, just thought that "they were all like that" BUT after driving the 2.0 for a few days, the steering on it is much smoother and less "fidgety" than the 3.0..

So, one more job to do on mine, and I'll be taking the "adjusting the motor" route, rather than the "drill and lube" one..

Mike
I think the facelift cars had revised steering, you don’t here of so many cases of sticky steering happening to them :?
Rob
My 06 3.0si had sticky steering Rob, only with the heater on in the footwell, it was really bad actually. It got written off before I did anything with it, but some do suffer with it, and it’s horrible, makes the car a pain to drive.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

john-e89 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Mike
Not sure if you’ve done this mod or not Mike so excuse me if I’m teaching grandma how to suck eggs.

The two torx bolts for the concentric ring are North South, on your back in the footwell with the covers off from the under the steering motor, South is easy to get to but north is a bitch. I found, after much, much trying that a 1/4” drive with a 6” extension bar and UJ fits perfectly. However you need to get the extension bar over the motor mounting plate, it won’t go in any other way, so go downwards towards the pedals until you clear the plate, then slide the extension over the column, you’ll drop it a few times....and swear a few times.... :lol: line it up with the torx bolt, then add the ratchet. It’s easy like this, but IIRC only a 6” extension will fit, either way from 6” you’ll hit the column or bulkhead and not get near the bolt.

Have fun, it’s a pain being on your back with the seat in the way, much easier with the seat out if you’re not pressed for time. :thumbsup:
Cheers John!

Can you remember which way to turn the ring to "loosen" the gears up a little?

Mike

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 pm

john-e89 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:13 pm
Smartbear wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Mike
I think the facelift cars had revised steering, you don’t here of so many cases of sticky steering happening to them :?
Rob
My 06 3.0si had sticky steering Rob, only with the heater on in the footwell, it was really bad actually. It got written off before I did anything with it, but some do suffer with it, and it’s horrible, makes the car a pain to drive.

I actually put it down to the EPAS being "like that" until I drove this 2.0 :D

Mike

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Mike

Cheers John!

Mike
Scratch a marker between the ring and the motor housing Mike, then you’ll know where the ring sits from the factory. It’ll only turn approx 10mm clockwise IIRC, but approx 3/4 way round anti clockwise. Turn it clockwise, you only need approx 3mm, any more it’ll be too loose, but it’s a bit trial and error, I’ve heard people turning them 10-15mm but that’s extreme I think, try 3mm and go for a run. I think it’s the crown and pinion gears tightening as they get warm from the foot heater, mine was very bad, but only after about an hour with the blower on. Let us know how you get on Ok.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Mike's Zed Shed :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you could have your own tv series Mike. I love how at 11 at night you decided to sort your door. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good luck with the project m8, that little zed couldn't be in safer hands :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Rusky wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 pm Mike's Zed Shed :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you could have your own tv series Mike. I love how at 11 at night you decided to sort your door. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good luck with the project m8, that little zed couldn't be in safer hands :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Cheers Russ..

Mike

bladeowner

Post by bladeowner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:38 pm

john-e89 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Cheers John!

Mike
Scratch a marker between the ring and the motor housing Mike, then you’ll know where the ring sits from the factory. It’ll only turn approx 10mm clockwise IIRC, but approx 3/4 way round anti clockwise. Turn it clockwise, you only need approx 3mm, any more it’ll be too loose, but it’s a bit trial and error, I’ve heard people turning them 10-15mm but that’s extreme I think, try 3mm and go for a run. I think it’s the crown and pinion gears tightening as they get warm from the foot heater, mine was very bad, but only after about an hour with the blower on. Let us know how you get on Ok.
I already had tried the drill and grease method but moving the ring is the cure in my book. As John says it's trial and error. I tried 5mm at first on mine but it wasn't enough and so I went a bit more around 8-9mm. You can see which way to move it from the scratches on mine below:
20160605_1302491_zpsg1hi8gf0.jpg
20160605_1302491_zpsg1hi8gf0.jpg (184.21 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
2004 Sapphire Black 2.5 SE Z4 SMG

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:26 am

Great thread .. cracking read
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

davros

Post by davros » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:20 pm

Mike, this is a great read. I just wish I had your talent with the spanner’s. You make it all look so easy. Keep up the terrific work.
3.0i E85 Sterling Grey, Infinitas supercharger, Aero sills, xenons, pro hi-fi with dsp & nav, power fold mirrors. B12 kit, Eisenmann backbox, //M-Sport Seats, carbon dash, cruise and more mods in near future...... :)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 am

Ok, been busy with work but just a little update.

I've now done around 200 miles in the 2.0, and the abs fault is 100% fixed!

Dentman out on Tuesday, so I'll get some pics, before, during and after.

Got to do something about those front fogs to tidy them up, and managed to bag a bargain mint wind deflector, as the one that came with it is broken in several places so falls out. Gave £40 for one with no brackets as the car already has them, which I think was a bargain.

One the dentman has worked his magic I'll be splitting the 108's after removing the tyres.

So the next decision is, oem colours for the wheels or a darker spider or rim? I really like bz4kev's finish, BUT I think that may not suit a lighter car, thoughts welcomed?

Mike

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 am

I thought the sticky steering issue had been resolved on the facelift ?
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:12 am

earthdweller wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:09 am I thought the sticky steering issue had been resolved on the facelift ?
Not sure. This 2.0 certainly doesn't suffer, whereas it's made me realise my 3.0 does lol.

Mike

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am

I'd go OEM colour on the 108's - personalising it with darker shades could narrow the potential market if / when you move it on.
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

LordOxygen

Post by LordOxygen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:42 pm

OEM finish on OEM wheels, esp if you're planning on flogging it.