Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bonnet Badge Removal and Replacement

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:51 pm

In the flush of new ownership I've been thinking of replacing the front badge which is showing some signs of wear.

After discovering its held on by 2 self tapping nuts at the 9 and 3 o clock positions and that you therefore need to approach the problem from behind the badge I googled how to do it and found this video. It seemed simple enough BUT its really difficult to do by following this approach which involves removing the bonnet lip trim and bending the plastic part of the bumper above the kidney grills far enough out to reach in and remove the nuts and then re tighten on the new badge. There is just not enough room to get any leverage on the nuts and I really don't like bending the bumper plastic like that. So I was stuck but thought I'd try removing the kidney grill to see if there was access behind there - lo and behold there was and so the job will now be a lot easier. You only need to remove one grill to get enough access to get a 10mm socket on the nuts. Just need to source a good badge now :) So my advice is don't follow this video :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXSSDYmet_M
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:23 am

The above idea is just plain stupid. Just unclip one of the grilles with a firm pull on the lower edge and as you say easy access
Just proves the internet isn’t always correct
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

markalp

Post by markalp » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am

pull the grill up at the top before popping the bottom of the grill out, those 2-3 mm of upward movement make it so much easier for the bottom to pop out
Alpina Roadster S LUX #030

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:21 pm

markalp wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 am pull the grill up at the top before popping the bottom of the grill out, those 2-3 mm of upward movement make it so much easier for the bottom to pop out
Thanks - great to practical advice!
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green