Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
olsonn

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by olsonn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 pm

I was in the stealers yesterday to pick up a couple of bumper parts for my Z4M rear bumper upgrade when I saw a BMW Advanced Eye Camera on display. I asked the parts guy if it could be fitted to my E85 Roadster and he said the front camera could but due to the soft top they couldn't fit the rear camera. Not a great response but something I could live with. Later on I saw the same camera featured at another BMW dealership on line, with a much better price. I rang them to confirm the price only to be told that it is not compatible with the E85 Z4. Can anybody confirm if this is the case and if BMW have ever done a camera suitable for the E85 Roadster?

mjennings23

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by mjennings23 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Pretty sure any dash cam can be wired in to any car. With the E85, a rear facing camera can be a bit tricky as typically you'd mount it on the rear screen. It's possible to mount the rear facing part on the windscreen, but it will naturally catch a lot of the cabin too.

Regarding wiring, the two hardwire options are a fuse tap at the fuse box, or do what I did and tap into the rain sensor live for power, gps mounting screw for earth. No need to remove all the windscreen trim then, just take the light and mirror cover off. Don't have any photos to show but my wiring is very subtle.

olsonn

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by olsonn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:50 pm

I thought the same, but they were pretty adamant it wouldn't be suitable for the E85 Z4

mjennings23

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by mjennings23 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:52 pm

From what I’ve seen it seems very expensive anyway compared to the competition, so perhaps worth just looking at the alternatives.

olsonn

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by olsonn » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 pm

That's just what I have started doing on line now, any pointers?

wegras

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by wegras » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Nextbase get excellent Which reviews
Dealers will always toe the line where compatibility is concerned if rear camera is not suitable ,not compatible, not to say it cannot be fitted by someone else :oops:
2007 Z4 3.0 si Sport Auto Monaco Blue Roadster / 2013 X1 2.5d Auto M Sport White
1st BMW a 2002 when they were current ..! and wife has a 2014 Mini Cooper auto
All BMW family

earthdweller

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by earthdweller » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:50 am

olsonn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:38 pm Later on I saw the same camera featured at another BMW dealership on line, with a much better price?
Who was the dealer doing deals on this ?

Not for my Zed but I'm interested for my X3

Andy
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

EssexZed

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by EssexZed » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 am

You can check compatibility with your vehicle by entering your VIN number here http://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk-responsive ... PID_99986/

This topic has been covered extensively on this forum previously and can be found by searching for Advanced Car Eye. It is not compatible with the E85/6 and problems have been reported with fitting to the E89 but that appears to have been an issue with the way one dealer chose to install it. I have it fitted to my car and I'm very happy with it. It's relatively expensive but it's a great piece of kit and has impressive performance. I have a Nextbase dash cam fitted to another car and can recommend this brand but with my Z4, which is still under warranty, I was concerned with warranty issues if a non approved accessory was fitted by an unauthorized organisation (e.g. Halfwords). At least one other member was told by his dealer that doing this would invalidate his warranty.

mjennings23

BMW Advanced Eye Camera

Post by mjennings23 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:16 am

Shock as BMW dealer tells you a cheaper alternative “might invalidate your warranty mate” but their kit is fine :roll:

Suffice to say, they would have a very torrid time trying to defend that action. The only thing they could even begin to argue is invalidated is the warranty on the wiring to the camera, which if you use a fuse tap has no permanent connection to the car.

A car warranty absolutely cannot be invalidated by adding something to it. There is no way a dealer can refuse to fix, let’s say a siezed caliper, and their reason being “dash cam installed by third party”. But of course, it’s in their interest to let people continue believeing that!

Tl;dr don’t believe everything a dealer tells you regarding warranty