Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor relocated.... but...

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 pm

I could hear a sloshing sound this morning when driving around from behind me. I've Just had a look in the boot and it's damp on both sides, but especially the passengers side of the boot carpet

Where the roof motor is relocated to, it's now wet so kind of defeats the whole point of relocating the motor as it's sat in a pool of water again!

Has anyone else suffered this?

I am assuming that the drain holes are blocked and the water is sloshing over the overflow into the boot?

Easiest way to fix this - I have the day off work today and tomorrow so hoping to get this done before it gets any worse...
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 pm

That's a hell of a build up of water!
Take the drain plugs out, accessed from underneath see below (flush with outer panel), and once you've drained and cleaned it leave them out.
Zed - drain plugs.jpg
Zed - drain plugs.jpg (183.07 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks Marlon

On my dads car, he has no drain plug, just the drain hole (Porsche) so I assume once I clean the drain holes there will be no ill effects from leaving the drain plugs off completely?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 pm

RyanB88 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:34 pm Thanks Marlon

On my dads car, he has no drain plug, just the drain hole (Porsche) so I assume once I clean the drain holes there will be no ill effects from leaving the drain plugs off completely?
No, matbe a little more road noise, but with your exhaust...

As Marlon said, must have been a hell of a build up of water!

Mike

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 pm

Those rubber bits at the bottom are designed to keep insects from crawling in but still allow water to run through and out of the drainage channels. They can get crudded up but it's normally the drain holes at the roof itself. If taking the plugs out doesn't solve your issues it will be the two holes for the drain channels at the top. One under where the roof motor used to be and the other on the same spot on the other side. I've used hot water to soften the crud and an airline to blow clean on a number of convertibles over the years and always managed to get them unblocked. If you don't have access to an airline then sometimes hot water alone has been enough.
Mikes right about noise and leaving the bungs out. I left mine out for 12 months but recently thought I would put them back in after reading on here about extra noise. It did make a noticeable difference

For me keeping on top of the drains is one of those things that seem to be an issue on lots of verts. Even where roof motors aren't involved they tend to block, back up and start tipping into the interior in various places. Once had an e46 with a full spare wheel of water and the battery compartment was also nearly full. That was a very near miss that day!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:18 pm

MACK wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 pm . . .
Mikes right about noise and leaving the bungs out. I left mine out for 12 months but recently thought I would put them back in after reading on here about extra noise. It did make a noticeable difference
Interesting, I have spare bungs that I will pop back in when the hardtop goes on over winter :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:48 pm

Marlon wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:18 pm
MACK wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 pm . . .
Interesting, I have spare bungs that I will pop back in when the hardtop goes on over winter :thumbsup:
Yes i was suprised to be honest. Don't get me wrong it's not night and day but it's noticeable.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:49 pm

MACK wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:00 pm Those rubber bits at the bottom are designed to keep insects from crawling in but still allow water to run through and out of the drainage channels. They can get crudded up but it's normally the drain holes at the roof itself. If taking the plugs out doesn't solve your issues it will be the two holes for the drain channels at the top. One under where the roof motor used to be and the other on the same spot on the other side. I've used hot water to soften the crud and an airline to blow clean on a number of convertibles over the years and always managed to get them unblocked. If you don't have access to an airline then sometimes hot water alone has been enough.

For me keeping on top of the drains is one of those things that seem to be an issue on lots of verts. Even where roof motors aren't involved they tend to block, back up and start tipping into the interior in various places. Once had an e46 with a full spare wheel of water and the battery compartment was also nearly full. That was a very near miss that day!
Haha! Thanks for that

I'll try poking it with wire, hot water a Hoover and a hair dryer to push stuff through. I'll report back tomorrow on my sloshing issues!

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Ok so all done, quite an easy job but a shocking design I have to say :x

Ridiculous amounts of green and black algae, dirt and water came out from the passenger side, driver side wasn't too bad, but still enough to warrant doing!

I've left both plugs off now and given them both a good clean, so I'm confident it should have fixed the issue. If the sloshing still happens I'll let you all know

Thanks for the help!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Well done. What technique did you settle on? The lower rubber bungs are simple enough but as mentioned above it's the ones that sit in the bottom of the plastic bins that are a little more tricky to clear properly.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm

RyanB88 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:13 pm Ok so all done, quite an easy job but a shocking design I have to say :x

Ridiculous amounts of green and black algae, dirt and water came out from the passenger side, driver side wasn't too bad, but still enough to warrant doing!

I've left both plugs off now and given them both a good clean, so I'm confident it should have fixed the issue. If the sloshing still happens I'll let you all know

Thanks for the help!
It's VITAL to keep the driver's side clear. Reason being, is that as the cavity is MUCH smaller than the passenger side, it only takes small amount of water to reach the bottom of the hydraulic ram and pipe fitting, which leads to this;
lower hose.jpg
lower hose.jpg (169.01 KiB) Viewed 884 times
The lower hose on the drivers side rusts through at it's fitting...

Mike

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:03 pm

Used a combo of an old metal coat hanger, copper wire, hot water and a tiny bit of bug and far remover did the job!

I'm genuinely shocked at how much water came out once the sludge cleared!

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Good job, at least it's sorted but as Mike says its vital to keep them clear so it needs checking regularly unfortunately as the last thing you want is the cabin getting wet. You can usually check if they're clear by dropping the roof and looking down in to the folded roof on both sides in the area near the hinges etc. Down to were the roof motor is from the factory etc. If you look carefully you will see it pooling/backing up. Even if you don't see any water in there, get some water and pour in to that space with the roof down and make sure you immediately see it running out of the bottom of the car
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 pm

MACK wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm Good job, at least it's sorted but as Mike says its vital to keep them clear so it needs checking regularly unfortunately as the last thing you want is the cabin getting wet. You can usually check if they're clear by dropping the roof and looking down in to the folded roof on both sides in the area near the hinges etc. Down to were the roof motor is from the factory etc. If you look carefully you will see it pooling/backing up. Even if you don't see any water in there, get some water and pour in to that space with the roof down and make sure you immediately see it running out of the bottom of the car
Yep when I peaked through it, there was a puddle large enough it had ducks floating in it!!

Thanks for your help. Love this forum!

Rusky

Post by Rusky » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:44 pm

I had the sloshing noise from behind the passengers seat, think i caught mine in time though, whippy aerial cam in handy for that.. Sooooo putting my hard top on this weekend. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.