Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E85 common problems list

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
JPB

Post by JPB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a Z4 3.0 E85 soon and have heard lots of chatter about common problems with E85s, so I wanted to draft a list that covered the most common problems, how much they might cost and at roughly what mileage one might expect to see these issues occur.

Please comment your own thoughts in bullet-point form as follows:
1. Description of issue - between ??k - ??k miles - £???

i.e. 1. Springs break - between 35k - 45k miles - £???

I'm aware of the roof motor being flooded but not sure if it's a mileage thing as opposed to a weather thing.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts :)
Jase
Z4 E85 3.0SI 2006, Sapphire Black.

Previously:
Z4 E85 3.0i 2003, Sterling Grey.

RyanB88

Post by RyanB88 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am

These cars are at best 10 years old now, some are 15, there are bound to be problems, but the ownership experience is amazing and with the forum being so helpful it makes it even better!

Springs all snap, some go after 1 year and 5k miles, some last to 100k.

Roof motors basically sit in a bath of water, if your car doesn't see the rain much and it's garaged then you might be ok, but for the majority of people in the U.K, the roof motor is a ticking time bomb. Get it relocated to the boot - ducklakeview did mine and I was very happy with his service

OP - are you looking at a facelift or pre facelift, as the facelifts have different engines and a few other bits like extra sound deadening in the doors
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

JPB

Post by JPB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:12 am

RyanB88 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:57 am These cars are at best 10 years old now, some are 15, there are bound to be problems, but the ownership experience is amazing and with the forum being so helpful it makes it even better!

Springs all snap, some go after 1 year and 5k miles, some last to 100k.

Roof motors basically sit in a bath of water, if your car doesn't see the rain much and it's garaged then you might be ok, but for the majority of people in the U.K, the roof motor is a ticking time bomb. Get it relocated to the boot - ducklakeview did mine and I was very happy with his service

OP - are you looking at a facelift or pre facelift, as the facelifts have different engines and a few other bits like extra sound deadening in the doors
Thanks Ryan, yes being such an old car now I assumed most of the problems have been found and rectified with best practises already established. By facelift or pre facelift are you talking about the 2003-2004 differences? If so, I'm looking at 2004 and newer. If the car already has sound deadening then great, if not then I'd do it myself.
Jase
Z4 E85 3.0SI 2006, Sapphire Black.

Previously:
Z4 E85 3.0i 2003, Sterling Grey.

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:22 am

2006 is the facelift year, and there were pretty significant changes, the biggest of which being the swap from the M54 engine in 03-05 cars to the N52 engine. Both of these engines have their own set of issues, but in truth they're both pretty solid units.

As with all old cars there's always things that can go wrong, some minor annoyances and some more serious. This however is true of any 8-14 year old car!

For instance, mine developed a fairly serious issue with the electronic power steering failing intermittently, not a common issue by any stretch but a known one. Other "well known" things are simple issues such as a leaking expansion tank or radiator, clogged CCV or leaking valve cover gasket, all of which are simple fixes if you have a half decent tool box.

I'd say it's a car that you want to be able to fix yourself. I can't imagine how much I would have spent on garage labour fixing little niggles that I managed on my driveway. If you're happy to get your hands dirty, there's a vast knowledge on these forums and if you find yourself in a bit too deep, plenty of skilled mechanics on here too.

Overall, go in with your eyes open. It's an old car and things will be worn out. Expect that things may break and if they last for your ownership, happy days!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 am

The only fairly common concern on the N52 is the electric water pump failing but they are readily available for £250 or so and pretty simple to change as a DIY. Otherwise they are a very solid engine. Pumps seem to fail around the 60,000 mile mark but some have gone earlier. Others have had their cars >120,000 miles and it still be fine.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 am

As they are getting older more issues come to light, as it would with any car.

Gleaning info from this forum though shows a pattern (not all applies to all cars as there are so many engine and year variations):

1 VANOS needs rebuilding after 60k ish
2 DISA ditto
3 Roof motor needs moving no matter how many miles
4 Run flats are expensive and changing them for good quality standard tyres improves ride quality
5 Certain 18 & 19" wheels crack when on run flats
6 Multiplay CD player fails
7 Rear springs on most models over 5 years old / 40k plus miles (ish)
8 Face lift water pump can go with £££ results

Then it is the usual stuff on any older car really:
Usual suspension wear on the rubber components, usual maintenance required
Tinny doors on earlier models, easy repair
Rattles, as you would expect on any 10 plus year old car really, time and patience to sort most of them

What have I missed?
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 am

ABS pump can go. Usually at >50k. Repair is mega bucks but the pump can be refurbed for under £300.

Nearside front brake calipers can seize, particularly after pad changes.

Exhaust heat shield welds break, leading to rattling when starting/accelerating.

Diff input flange can start clunking when changing between 1st and reverse due to the grease drying up. Again more common at >50k. About £100 to fix.

Facelift fog lights suffer from corrosion and then water ingress (then more corrosion) but can be cheaply fixed. This starts happening from new!

They are pretty reliable cars though. Of the major issues, it really is only the roof motor flooding and the rear springs that I'd call "common" (i.e. feels like you are in the minority if you have a >75k miler that hasn't had one or both of these issues), and even those are avoidable with non-runflats and regular cleaning of the roof drains (or relocation of the motor into the boot).
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

csquire4

Post by csquire4 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 pm

High Pressure break Sensor (results in the 3 warnings lights) - Frequent problem, can happen anytime, £90 for part, approx £50 for fitting

Window Regulators - Frequent problem on E85 and E46, DIY refurb kit is £20 or new part is £160 plus fitting
2004 3.0i, manual, toledo blue

Kamuela

Post by Kamuela » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 am

I've had my share of high-ish mileage cars, and most of the common failures are, well, common failures. I've replaced window regulators, heat shields, valve cover gaskets, brake calipers, fixed corrosion and coolant leaks, and hunted down rattles on everything. The only failures I anticipate that are unique to the Z and probably other BMW offerings are the DISA valve, which is pretty easy, possible VANOS rebuild, and the real cream of the crop, the roof motor, which seems like the worst possible design but which, thankfully, can be anticipated. Based on my own admittedly limited experience and the many postings (keeping in mind that people tend to post what goes wrong; still waiting for "my car's terrific! Nothing broke this year!"), I'd say it's considerably more trouble-free than the average. And routine maintenance is thus far even less work than a Miata, my personal benchmark for bullet-proof-ness.
Speaking of, what is it about the Z tops? I've replaced my share of convertible tops, a job I fervently hope to never repeat, but I never ever read about top replacements and aside from a bit of dirt and abrasion, mine looks new. This is unlike, for example, the Miata scene. Or the Mustang crowd, to pick another (worst top design ever. Who ever heard of stapling the top on?)

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:36 am

to date I have had brake line corrosion leading to leak had lines replaced o2 sensor fail replaced roof motor fail moved :thumbsup: lower wishbone bush shot replaced and also tracking needs close attention I also am looking at vanos rebuild as after tests done looks to be under performing :thumbsdown: but as has been said 15 years old and no more than I would expect but love the car overall so can live with its niggles :driving:
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:50 am

Springs and shocks, but that's the same for any old car.
Central locking button in center console, the plastic underneath breaks and then the buttons become intermittent. Happens on E46 as well. Take out and tape up. Or replace.
Front control arm rear bush is prone to regular failure. Again easy to replace, maybe with poly.
Front headlight washers (if it has xenon's). These can leak. Cheap and easy to fix (£60 each) although the little cover can get lost.
Coolant expansion vessel cracks and leaks.
Oil filter is known to leak.

I've only had some personal experience of the above, nothing major.
The biggest problem I see is the damm things leak. Roof drains block, door weather seals torn and leak, old door rubber seals, boot leaks, window leaks (bad replacement s normally).

But this is all forgotten when you look at the sexy beast and then drive it. What car can you get for the same price that looks this good and has some driver engagement.
Far better than any boring hatchback.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:50 am

Kamuela wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:16 am Speaking of, what is it about the Z tops? I've replaced my share of convertible tops, a job I fervently hope to never repeat, but I never ever read about top replacements and aside from a bit of dirt and abrasion, mine looks new. This is unlike, for example, the Miata scene. Or the Mustang crowd, to pick another (worst top design ever. Who ever heard of stapling the top on?)
They are excellent. Even the worst ones tend to scrub up like new.

Never owned another convertible but heard some real horror stories!
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 am

I would agree. I actually almost pulled the trigger on an E89 35i as I had the money for it but the N54 engine and ancillaries has many more issues in my opinion and whats more they are usually a ton of money to fix. After driving a nice example of a 35is and then the E85 3.0Si back to back, the E85 was so much more involving (albeit quite a bit down on pace). It was the more exciting car by far.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

z4all

Post by z4all » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:46 am

HVA on the facelift-engine issue.

Bertz4

Post by Bertz4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am

Paulr wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 am As they are getting older more issues come to light, as it would with any car.

Gleaning info from this forum though shows a pattern (not all applies to all cars as there are so many engine and year variations):

1 VANOS needs rebuilding after 60k ish
2 DISA ditto
3 Roof motor needs moving no matter how many miles
4 Run flats are expensive and changing them for good quality standard tyres improves ride quality
5 Certain 18 & 19" wheels crack when on run flats
6 Multiplay CD player fails
7 Rear springs on most models over 5 years old / 40k plus miles (ish)
8 Face lift water pump can go with £££ results

Then it is the usual stuff on any older car really:
Usual suspension wear on the rubber components, usual maintenance required
Tinny doors on earlier models, easy repair
Rattles, as you would expect on any 10 plus year old car really, time and patience to sort most of them

What have I missed?
Wipers stop randomly and restart after turning ignition off and on. Easy fix, clean contacts in wiper motor gearbox.
Rob.
Current: 2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey, red leather, 108's. Cruise, DLV back box, Gaptech.
Previous: 1991 TVR S3 2.9 V6