Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

One sponge or two?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Danz4coupe

One sponge or two?

Post by Danz4coupe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:16 pm

Just took out both sponges on my coupes sound generator, sounds great but was thinking does everyone takes out both or just one. Realise it's a preference thing but just wondered. So...one sponge or two?

RyanB88

One sponge or two?

Post by RyanB88 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:26 pm

I've got one at the mo but will be doing two when I get round to it :)
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

Rusky

One sponge or two?

Post by Rusky » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:31 pm

I took out the larger of the two and it sounds epic :driving: :driving:
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

philbo909

One sponge or two?

Post by philbo909 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:41 pm

half of the long foam in, avoid that horrid booming sound of both out, much better natural straight six sound!
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

One sponge or two?

Post by firebobby » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 pm

So, does this just increase the noise in the cabin then ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

One sponge or two?

Post by ben g » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 pm

I had one removed first and it was a nice sound. I then removed both and it was lovely for about a minute, then I got annoyed at the noise.

Put one piece back in and it's much better.

Basically. If your car is a weekender then take both bits out, if you do any kind of decent mileage, only remove one, else you will end up with a sore head and an angry passenger.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

One sponge or two?

Post by ben g » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:32 pm

firebobby wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 pm So, does this just increase the noise in the cabin then ??
Yes, it's literally a pipe that funnels the intake sound into the cabin. The hole is under the glovebox.

Obviously if you had windows and roof down, I imagine pedestrians would quite possibly hear it too.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

RyanB88

One sponge or two?

Post by RyanB88 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:15 pm

Thing is - below 4k it doesn't make any more noise. So during normal driving it won't annoy your passenger ...
Z4 now sold :(

Current - M235i :thumbsup:

LordOxygen

One sponge or two?

Post by LordOxygen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Both out here. I like it.

OntarioZed

One sponge or two?

Post by OntarioZed » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Took both out and hated it. As you go over 3000 rpm it just starts to sound like some sort of trumpet/trombone combination playing under my dash. I think it may be good if you're on the track however, because the noise helps you with smoother rev matches. Other than that I find it similar to young boys putting a loud muffler on a Honda Civic and thinking they are race car drivers!

With both sponges out the car loses its refined character and that sweet six sound is gone, given up for just one long BLAT! I cut the bigger sponge in half and installed it nearest the engine and found this to be a good compromise, however, to each their own.
2003 Z4 3.0i, Non-sport suspension, Merlot metallic, Oregon leather.

bmwaddict

One sponge or two?

Post by bmwaddict » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Taken only the small piece out and it's made a good difference, as it's my daily I left the large piece in.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Danz4coupe

One sponge or two?

Post by Danz4coupe » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:40 pm

OntarioZed wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:29 pm Took both out and hated it. As you go over 3000 rpm it just starts to sound like some sort of trumpet/trombone combination playing under my dash. I think it may be good if you're on the track however, because the noise helps you with smoother rev matches. Other than that I find it similar to young boys putting a loud muffler on a Honda Civic and thinking they are race car drivers!

With both sponges out the car loses its refined character and that sweet six sound is gone, given up for just one long BLAT! I cut the bigger sponge in half and installed it nearest the engine and found this to be a good compromise, however, to each their own.
Put one back in..both out was def too much.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

One sponge or two?

Post by MACK » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:12 pm

I came at this the other way around.
Mine came with both removed and I thought it was just too much, not a particular nice noise and very max powered corsa. It wasn't the nice authentic engine induction sound you get with twin carbs/throttle bodies etc. I found one of the foams (smaller one) in the boot so after about 3 months of ownership put that in and preferred it. Then 18 months later I managed to get my hands on the bigger foam and added that in and definitely preferred it stock.

Its very subjective this one and each to their own and all that but my honest opinion is BMW got this bit right, it adds a little something without it being overpowering where as the foams out is a a loud noise and not a very authentic or nice noise either and I think if I do anything in the future to improve the soundtrack it will be with the exhaust not the intake.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

One sponge or two?

Post by Ducklakeview » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:57 pm

I've actually removed my sound generator now.. Makes for really quiet cruising, but then I have removed the secondary cats and have one of my modded backboxes fitted so it snarls and pops like a good'un on acceleration.

Mike

BlastDK

One sponge or two?

Post by BlastDK » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:12 am

Being non UK driver ( LHD ) I have the sound gen. comming out just under the steerin wheel. I am driving a 3.0 Roadster and I removed 1 of the foam bits and for now I really like it. how ever, I find that with the roof closed it really seems louder / borderline anoying when giving full throttle.. so gues a lot of aspects are in to play here.