Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Think I just had an idea on how to de ginger very cheaply

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
85genius

Think I just had an idea on how to de ginger very cheaply

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:09 am

OK so I have just about got my car how I want it but the thing still bugging me is the stupid amber hockey sticks in the headlights, now I have seen a few different work arounds without replacing or doing a cut and shut, namely spray tinting the bottom, or vinyl covering the bottom of the lights.

Problem is my z is silver and the only tints that fully cover the amber are black so it still leaves me with a black stripe..... Or are they..... So here is the idea want to know if anyone else has tried it.....

Mirror tint film, same stuff they use on one way mirrors or some car windows, I think it will blend into the headlight, reflect the silver of the car bodywork, completely cover the amber so will hopefully be perfect. Now I know some of you will be thinking it won't let the indicator light through it's one way right? Well I'm hoping wrong as it's not actually truly one way it's more like the fly eye stuff just with the holes on a molecular level instead of visible perforations. Well hopefully that's the case, the physics is there in theory but has anyone actually tried it in real life?

Answers on a postcard please
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

85genius

Re: Think I just had an idea on how to de ginger very cheaply

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:14 am

Just to put some perspective on it letting light from the indicator back through you can get phone screen covers that are a perfect mirror until the phone screen is turned on then the mirror effect totally disappears and you see the light from the screen perfectly, this is the effect I am hoping for for this to work

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:57 am

Great idea and in theory it should work.

Been looking at the fly eye stuff myself but can't bring myself to make the jump, not that it's expensive, just don't mind the ginger bits.

Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

85genius

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:02 am

I have actually ordered some fly eye for the rears but don't like how it stands out on the clear of the headlight so I'm hoping this stuff will blend in

phil.a

Post by phil.a » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 am

use smoke tint on all the head light, but concentrate on the orange and fade to the head light you would not loose all the orange but would tone it down

85genius

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:22 am

phil.a wrote:use smoke tint on all the head light, but concentrate on the orange and fade to the head light you would not loose all the orange but would tone it down
I thought of that but as the car is silver I think the smoked line at the bottom would stand out too much. What I really want is this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-Automo ... B0070S81SI

Silver tinting spray! But its not available in the UK, I can only find red or smoke over here and there's no way I'm paying ยฃ55 for shipping from the US which got me on to the idea of the mirror film

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:15 am

I got some window tinting film that was pretty mirrored to keep the sun out on conservatory type windows. It was about ยฃ5 a square meter from ebay. Try that, it should work well, if it's a bit too effective as a mirror you could tone it down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 2749.l2658
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:43 am

Scooba_Steve wrote:I got some window tinting film that was pretty mirrored to keep the sun out on conservatory type windows. It was about ยฃ5 a square meter from ebay. Try that, it should work well, if it's a bit too effective as a mirror you could tone it down.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw ... 2749.l2658
Yeah that's the kind of stuff I'm going to go for, my car is in the bodyshop having a few bits tidied up and the holes from the numberplate filled but once I get it back I'm going to measure up and see how much of the film I'll need.

Still undecided what level of transparency I will be able to get away with, and how much I'll need to hide the orange from I'm thinking 35% transparency will still let enough light through whilst I'm indicating but not sure if it will totally cover all the orange up, I know that the 20% will cover the orange but a bit worried it will be too dim whilst indicating

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:06 pm

It's pretty cheap, I would get a selection of strips to try. For both sides you're not going to need much more than A4 size I wouldn't have thought. An application tip from me is to get the surface meticulously clean (maybe polish kit first?) then spray with water/soap solution. Apply the same solution to the film as you peel off the backing then you can put the film on the light but will still be able to adjust its position. Use something like a credit card to squeeze out the fluid and leave to dry. Gives a good finish.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

85genius

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:35 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote:It's pretty cheap, I would get a selection of strips to try. For both sides you're not going to need much more than A4 size I wouldn't have thought. An application tip from me is to get the surface meticulously clean (maybe polish kit first?) then spray with water/soap solution. Apply the same solution to the film as you peel off the backing then you can put the film on the light but will still be able to adjust its position. Use something like a credit card to squeeze out the fluid and leave to dry. Gives a good finish.
Thanks for the tips, the headlights are a bit hazy so I am going to polish them out and hopefully get them looking new before I even try to apply the film, seen someone on ebay who does the film at 30% transparency for just over a fiver so will get some of that to try first

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:11 pm

If it works out you can make sets to sell on here ;)

85genius

Post by 85genius » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:01 pm

I'm going to have to make a template to cut out the hockey stick shapes and with the size of the film roll I would probably get 3 or 4 sets so I may have a few available if it goes well

jarhead

Post by jarhead » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:41 pm

This has always bugged me as well so look forward to your results
Black and beautiful 3ltr auto for fun
Peugeot 508 SW for daily use
Stripped out E46 330ci for track days

Skinhead201

Post by Skinhead201 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:00 pm

Just fitted some black fly eye to me rear lights clusters, high level brake light and and reflectors. Didn't order enough to to do the headlights a s well :roll: so ordered more. Looks good imo. Got a few little creases but you only see them if you look closely. Might re do them later after a bit more practice.

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Skinhead201 wrote:Just fitted some black fly eye to me rear lights clusters, high level brake light and and reflectors. Didn't order enough to to do the headlights a s well :roll: so ordered more. Looks good imo. Got a few little creases but you only see them if you look closely. Might re do them later after a bit more practice.
Be nice to see some pictures

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ