Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looking at buying a Z4, couple of questions

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Looking at buying a Z4, couple of questions

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:41 pm

THFC83 wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:Dealers never fit tyres unless they mot and it fails. They wait for a buyer to spot the do it as part of the negotiation. That way I dyed if knocking £500 off be fits tyres.

Indicates a cost saving former owner to me
Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't reallt make sense for the dealer put new tyres on, would just be more expense for them.

Have to think that if the previous owner has been trying to cut costs on tyres that's not really a sign that the car has been well looked after!
That's exactly what I was trying to say, but on an iPhone trying to collect my luggage wasn't the best place to do it :roll: Whatever a dealer does aside valeting before you view is dead money. If he for instance sprayed the front end or fitted £500 of mid range tyres, you'd just accept it and then continue to negotiate.

Look at the other faults that were listed above such as ashtray not working and that confirms a minimalist approach to car care by a previous owner.

Not saying don't have this car, but there is a wide choice so keep your money in your pocket until you get the right car and right deal.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

THFC83

Post by THFC83 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Out of interest, how much of an effect does not having Sat/Nav etc have when it comes to resale. Is it just a case of value or is it actually a bit of a struggle to sell them because people tend to hol dout for higher specced cars?

I'm tempted by the second one I posted in this thread, but although it looks to be a nice example the spec looks fairly low.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:47 pm

THFC83 wrote:Out of interest, how much of an effect does not having Sat/Nav etc have when it comes to resale. Is it just a case of value or is it actually a bit of a struggle to sell them because people tend to hol dout for higher specced cars?

I'm tempted by the second one I posted in this thread, but although it looks to be a nice example the spec looks fairly low.
I would only hold out for the spec items you want if they are really essential to you :? Ive had the nav & now i haven't , Its a weekend car & really don't miss it , same with folding mirrors & electric seats , nice to have them but not dealbreakers , i have Xenon's which are a sought after extra for some but doubt they add much in ££ value to my car
In re sale terms they do widen your sale market but have less impact on value as the car gets older & therefore worth less :?
A well maintained, well presented car in the right colour combo with a good stamped history & paperwork will always find a buyer
Go with the one you are happiest about & enjoy it :thumbsup:
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Stratts

Post by Stratts » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:41 pm

If you can get to Basildon and wouldn't mind an auto, go and see this one.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

I had a viewing last weekend, nice car and the seller is a nice chap. I only didn't buy because it just wasn't the right 'value' to me, as it needed a little bit of work (but not much) and he was almost totally unwilling to negotiate. It had a funny thing with the brakes (it had grooved discs and red stuff pads) which made a unnerving grumble through the brake pedal but its normal for that combo of discs/pads and is easily fixed. The car comes with a ragged set of 17s and almost new winter tyres, but needs no work doing.

EDIT: It doesn't have all of the extras. There is no upgraded sound system (as I pointed out), it has only heated seats, wind deflector and sat nav.
2004 Z4 3.0i Auto
Sapphire Black / Red M Sport Leather / Eibachs / 108s / Poly Bushes / Vanos upgrade / Stubby

Amateur BMW Guru. If I don't know how to fix it, it's because I haven't broken it yet.
Diagnostics and coding services available.

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Based on what the guys here who have been to see this car have said, I wouldn't even bother going to see it to be honest, there are far better ones out there for sale. I may have missed it but the seller doesn't even appear to have stated what mileage the car has covered - I didn't notice any mention of if it in the ad anyway. As far as spec goes, personally the "toys" didn't bother me when I bought mine, I got it to drive not play with electronic gismos. I did want a Sport spec car though with the M seats / steering wheel / wheels etc. Those things just make the driving experience a bit nicer IMO - far more so than sat nav, electric seats and folding mirrors.

Keep your eye on the for sale section here, some really nice well looked after cars come up for sale regularly. My take on it is, if you buy from an enthusiast forum like this then the chances are the car will be far superior to anything you'll find in a dealers. Having said that, i did buy mine from a dealer and I'm very happy with it so far, so don't comlpletely dismiss them as a source of purchase.

THFC83

Post by THFC83 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 pm

Stratts wrote:If you can get to Basildon and wouldn't mind an auto, go and see this one.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

I had a viewing last weekend, nice car and the seller is a nice chap. I only didn't buy because it just wasn't the right 'value' to me, as it needed a little bit of work (but not much) and he was almost totally unwilling to negotiate. It had a funny thing with the brakes (it had grooved discs and red stuff pads) which made a unnerving grumble through the brake pedal but its normal for that combo of discs/pads and is easily fixed. The car comes with a ragged set of 17s and almost new winter tyres, but needs no work doing.

EDIT: It doesn't have all of the extras. There is no upgraded sound system (as I pointed out), it has only heated seats, wind deflector and sat nav.
Yeah, I did consider that one actually because Basildon isnt too far from me. Not really after an auto though and not a fan of red leather.

THFC83

Post by THFC83 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Dewi wrote:Based on what the guys here who have been to see this car have said, I wouldn't even bother going to see it to be honest, there are far better ones out there for sale. I may have missed it but the seller doesn't even appear to have stated what mileage the car has covered - I didn't notice any mention of if it in the ad anyway. As far as spec goes, personally the "toys" didn't bother me when I bought mine, I got it to drive not play with electronic gismos. I did want a Sport spec car though with the M seats / steering wheel / wheels etc. Those things just make the driving experience a bit nicer IMO - far more so than sat nav, electric seats and folding mirrors.

Keep your eye on the for sale section here, some really nice well looked after cars come up for sale regularly. My take on it is, if you buy from an enthusiast forum like this then the chances are the car will be far superior to anything you'll find in a dealers. Having said that, i did buy mine from a dealer and I'm very happy with it so far, so don't comlpletely dismiss them as a source of purchase.
Yeah, definitely not gonna bother with that first one now. Not really after an auto anyway to be honest. May go and have a look at the second one I posted and see how it is.

Will definitely keep an eye on the for sale section on here aswell

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:11 pm

THFC83 wrote:Out of interest, how much of an effect does not having Sat/Nav etc have when it comes to resale. Is it just a case of value or is it actually a bit of a struggle to sell them because people tend to hol dout for higher specced cars?

IMHO extras add no value to the car at resale time (except a hood which is worth £600-£1,000 depending upon time of year & colour).

What extras do is shift the car much quicker and with less need to drop the price for a sale. Those which hang around are those with high mileage, smaller engines and few extras. (You could therefore argue that the extras do reflect in the achieved sale price)

I would however consider the spec and extras you want and what you will compromise on and seek out that car.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Dewi

Post by Dewi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:50 pm

THFC83 wrote:
Dewi wrote:Based on what the guys here who have been to see this car have said, I wouldn't even bother going to see it to be honest, there are far better ones out there for sale. I may have missed it but the seller doesn't even appear to have stated what mileage the car has covered - I didn't notice any mention of if it in the ad anyway. As far as spec goes, personally the "toys" didn't bother me when I bought mine, I got it to drive not play with electronic gismos. I did want a Sport spec car though with the M seats / steering wheel / wheels etc. Those things just make the driving experience a bit nicer IMO - far more so than sat nav, electric seats and folding mirrors.

Yeah, definitely not gonna bother with that first one now. Not really after an auto anyway to be honest. May go and have a look at the second one I posted and see how it is.

Will definitely keep an eye on the for sale section on here aswell

Don't dismiss the smaller engines either, they may be slower on paper but the 2.5 Si Sport is plenty fast enough and has to be the sweetest engine, sounds lovely too.