Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Claying tips Reqd

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
Bunker

Claying tips Reqd

Post by Bunker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi all, watched my boss's black Porsche detailed by a pro this week and noticed he was claying it...now my Z has a far better shade of black, being the ruby version and I want to out do the finish of his 911.
So any tips, tricks, products would be most appreciated as I am planning this for tomorrow.

Big thanks in advance as per....
2007 Kia Ceed - The wife's
2011 Z4 35i - The beast
1996 E36 Coupe - The project

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Claying tips Reqd

Post by AlanJ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:25 pm

Try a search in the Detailing Section - its all there :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

TheHoff

Post by TheHoff » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:20 pm

All you need is a claybar, diluted quick detailer (neat is unnecessary and expensive) and a lot of patience. Take your time, split each panel into sections and be methodical.

You'll need a hell of a lot more than just claying to do gain a good finish though - most pros take 2-3 days to do a proper job.
Wash
Clay
Wash
DA Polish medium/hard compound as required
DA Polish fine compound
Wax

That's a very basic précis - the detailing section, as eluded to, will have far more tips.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:27 pm

The golden rule of claying is to make sure it never sticks to the paintwork, so make sure you keep the metal lubricated whilst gently rubbing the claybar over it.

Also, never use it after it's been dropped.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:41 pm

AlanJ wrote:Try a search in the Detailing Section - its all there :thumbsup:

Ooh be careful telling people to search ;) ... Last time I did that half the forum world took offence to doing their own leg work.

minefields

Post by minefields » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:30 pm

For ease of use look into getting the farecla g3 clay cloth, so much easier to use and much quicker than a normal clay bar.
Z4 2.0i Sport - Montego Blue/Pearl grey leather

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AlanJ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Maniac wrote:

Ooh be careful telling people to search ;) ... Last time I did that half the forum world took offence to doing their own leg work.
:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Meguiars quik clay starter kit.

NeilP

Post by NeilP » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:54 pm

un1eash wrote:Meguiars quik clay starter kit.
Good place to start if a little expensive.

I tend to just use water mixed with a little soap as lube. Clay can be had relatively cheap from cleanyourcar.co.uk

As said above, make sure you do polish and wax after to protect the paint!

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:07 am

I just use Bilt Hamber Regular clay with some 'shampoo water', as Neil above said.

Works out a lot cheaper and the Bilt Hamber clay is great.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 am

I've heard that blu-tac is every bit as good as an alternative to clay & is considerably cheaper :wink:
Regards

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

wilbo

Post by wilbo » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:04 am

minefields wrote:For ease of use look into getting the farecla g3 clay cloth, so much easier to use and much quicker than a normal clay bar.
X2. I got one of these and it's amazing.

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:24 am

And do a small area at a time.....the results from the dirt on the clay will show you what's been lifted. Then just turn and knead the clay into a clean bit again and keep working at it....

MHZ4C

Post by MHZ4C » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:26 am

+1 for Bilt Hamber regular clay and diluted car shampoo with water. Bilt Hamber say you can just use water, but diluted car shampoo (without wax etc) makes the clay glide better, and less likely to marr the paint. The soft clay is even less likely to marr, but harder to clean the paint if the car hasn't been Clayed recently.
The Bilt Hamber bars are 200g, and you only really need 50g chunks at a time. So even if you drop a chunk (and make sure you bin it!) then you have more to carry on with.

Soak the clay in warm water before use so it's easier to fold in the dirty sections. Keep claying until you hear the noise go from rough to silent, if that makes sense? You'll feel it as the bar lifts to muck and goes from feeling rough to feeling smooth. No need to apply too much pressure.
Also get a thin cheap bag and put your hand in it. Run that over section of the paint to feel for when the paint is clean - the bag amplifies the feeling of contamination on the paint.

Buy a spray bottle / use a clean empty one, and constantly spray diluted car shampoo / water mix over the paint as you work. Spray in one hand, clay in the other. I use over a litre of spray for the whole car - keep it really wet and regularly fold the dirty clay to avoid marring.

Keep the clay away from panel gaps and under arches unless you made a real effort to clean them. They can be full of grit.
If you start one day, and continue the next, then I'd rinse the car off again if the car has been left outside, esp with all the work they are doing on the fields at this time of year.

Keep rinsing the shampoo / water mix off of completed sections so it doesn't dry on, then there's less work to do before polishing.

Hope it's looks great!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Sometimes "search is the best answer but on another forum a asked a question which would have definitely been found if I had searched. It was a question I needed to be answered fairly quickly.
So at the front end of my question I said that I was in Germany on a lousy dial up speed and intermittent internet conection and I got a very abrupt reply!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: