Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Looks like a superb offer on an M140i

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:33 pm

All boils down to if you want a new motor or not or happy with secondhand, whether you pay up front or prefer finance. Doesn't matter if its a car or a washing machine anything new loses money just as secondhand does eventually :)

Tim.

MattHall91

Post by MattHall91 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Plenty about at the moment.

Williams BMW offering 340 down and 340 a month on base 140is and 1000 down and 335 a month on Shadow Edition. Ends 30.09.17.
Now: Diseasal company cars (for now)
Gone: Z4 Coupe 3.0si - Montego Blue

Boyo

Post by Boyo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 am

I am looking at buying a 140i as my daily drive to replace my 120D M Sport. It would appear from BMW's site that they have recently made some minor tweaks with regard to interior trim and wheels as well as introducing the Shadow Edition. You can pick up a pre-registered June 2017 140i from BMW dealers for approximately £28K with a couple of hundred miles on them. I configured the same car on a "brand new" basis and it came out at £38K. Ignoring the PCP, lease etc as I am financing the purchase myself, am I missing something or does the pre-registered route make perfect sense if you are aiming to keep the car for 3 years or so as it compensates for the huge depreciation on a new one.
Current:
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
G29 M40i - Thundernight
718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
987 Boxster 2.7
E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
718 Cayman GTS 2.5
E89 35is
E85 M Roadster

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Boyo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 am I am looking at buying a 140i as my daily drive to replace my 120D M Sport. It would appear from BMW's site that they have recently made some minor tweaks with regard to interior trim and wheels as well as introducing the Shadow Edition. You can pick up a pre-registered June 2017 140i from BMW dealers for approximately £28K with a couple of hundred miles on them. I configured the same car on a "brand new" basis and it came out at £38K. Ignoring the PCP, lease etc as I am financing the purchase myself, am I missing something or does the pre-registered route make perfect sense if you are aiming to keep the car for 3 years or so as it compensates for the huge depreciation on a new one.
The dealer discount norm is around the 7 to 8k mark depending on the dealer and how desperate they are to reach sales targets, I would have thought you would still get the same whether paying cash or going with BMWs select finance, obviously if its a pre reg vehicle it will have lost some depreciation as your effectively the second owner. Personally I would spec a new car up and see if any dealer discount plus any BMW deposit contribution brings the cost down to a pre reg price. You could always take out BMWs finance to get the full dealer discount and manufacturer deposit contribution benefits and then pay the finance off fully before the first finance payment is due a month after you take delivery :)

Tim.

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Car dealers are almost as bad as DFS and ECP for sales.

Why can't the price be the price...rather than everything being 20-30% off list/retail?

Is it that no-one will buy a £30k 1 series, but they will buy a £40k one that has a 25% discount :headbang:
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Sadly it's true. Dealers are hooked on taking next months/quarters sales by preregistration, people think something's a bargain if it has a discount regardless of actual price and people want a car from next 1-4 years salary with a PCP
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:01 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:17 pm
jamie_z4 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:26 pm
mr wilks wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 pm I really don't see the appeal of the fast 1ers at all :? Hardly a nice looking car :o little to distinguish from its 118d sisters & being blunt the 1 has never been a looker on any year with only the 1M coupe ever looking remotely fetching :cry: even then its no Cayman but can be gotten over with its overall package :wink:
Each to their own but the deal sum's it up for me £199 a month is Nissan Qashqai money which also have zero temptation whatsoever :cry:
drive one- you'll think differently ;)
Got a 360bhp Golf ED30 on drive at the mo if i want to take off like a epileptic mongoose that cost a fraction of the 140i & will hold or increase its value :wink:
Its horses for courses this sort of thing. Some folks just "have" to have a new car and others hate the idea of loosing thousands in deprication.
Also at a lot of firms where you can take car allowance in lieu of a company car there are stricted criteria around age of vehicle etc
For a lot of low mileage user/choosers it could boil down to a choice of this or say a company astra/mondeo at similar cost. A bit of a no brainer for them in their circumstances I would have thought. Especially where you get a fuel card included from work.

Personally though I think the whole PCP new/nearly new car thing is stacked like a house of cards and will be the next (albeit mini) financial crisis. I saw a report the other day from the bank of england that shows their now publically concerned about it.
So my advice is if your in the market for a PCP funded vehicle fill your boots while there still relatively cheap!
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Nick_in_Suffolk

Post by Nick_in_Suffolk » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:21 pm

Or just buy one with cash as we did (the 140 and the Z4, although the Z was 2 years ago).
G29 S30i in SFR - my wife's car and her third Z
BMW M2C - gone, replaced with an i4, but its only use is shopping, the Z is our main touring vehicle

Long gone, but not forgotten - 1988 E30 M3