Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Working for Porsche

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Havent been around much due to preparing for new consulting project at Porsche.
Kickoff was today so it was over to Stuttgart last night so i'd be on time for the first big meeting this morning at Zuffenhausen.
What a sprawling mess of buildings it is too! :lol: :lol:
Dunno if anyone's been there on biznizz but it took me 30 mins just to find the correct building/office!
Didnt have time to pop into the museum sadly but i'll be back once a week initially then every 2 weeks thereafter so should be plenty of time for shennanigans eventually... :evil:

I think they stole this idea from goodwood fos. Teeven pikeys.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (258.26 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (330.9 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (258.2 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Good for checking whats left of my hair
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (359.92 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by GuidoK » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Does your honorarium include a car? :lol:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

bmwaddict

Working for Porsche

Post by bmwaddict » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Not jealous.... :?
Well done mate, even for someone like me who's not the biggest Porka fan that's pretty cool! I actually applied for a job at Porsche west London earlier this year but didn't get it. I'll have to make do with the coolest thing at work being the little Abarth 595s and the occasional new mustang in for a service. Any chance of a Cayman GT4 or similar as a company car? :lol:
Good luck and enjoy :thumbsup:
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Working for Porsche

Post by buzyg » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Sounds like an interesting project. You'll be able to cadge a few spares for PVR. :wink:
Last edited by buzyg on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed Five

Working for Porsche

Post by Zed Five » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 pm

I think that everyone who drives a Porsche works for them. They're all testing and shaking down the cars :poke:
Why is it that people who can't take advice always insist on giving it? 

E89 35is | BMW S1000rr Motorsport Ed.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Zed Five wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:24 pm I think that everyone who drives a Porsche works for them. They're all testing and shaking down the cars :poke:
:lol: :thumbsup:
Possibly not that far from the truth and i was informed that if u work at porsche for more than 10 years u can lease a cayman for as little as €500/month! :o
Lots and lots of tasty porkers in the employees carparks of which theres many. Cant believe that for such a prestigious company they havent catered for staff/visitor parking. Its a really big mess there!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 pm

GuidoK wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm Does your honorarium include a car? :lol:
Sadly, no :(

Bing
Legend
Legend

Working for Porsche

Post by Bing » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:19 am

The museum is ace - see if you can get on a factory tour as well. TBH, if you are consulting for them then you should be able to blag the latter as 'research', surely... developing a deeper understanding of your customer and their business, blah blah :wink:

You see some of the campus when you do a factory tour, and yeah, it is a hodgepodge of buildings. Guess gays just a result of the way they have grown. Gives it character I guess.
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm

Bing wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:19 am The museum is ace - see if you can get on a factory tour as well. TBH, if you are consulting for them then you should be able to blag the latter as 'research', surely... developing a deeper understanding of your customer and their business, blah blah :wink:

You see some of the campus when you do a factory tour, and yeah, it is a hodgepodge of buildings. Guess gays just a result of the way they have grown. Gives it character I guess.
I got a nice personal (unfinished) factory tour from Patrick Knecht who is one of the Senior development engineers for Porsche's planned all-electric vehicle, codename 'J1' due for launch 2018.
I tell u what- it was 'enlightening' to say the least. Everything in their production facility is squeaky clean! Almost pharma-industry standard clean! As many cleaners as production staff. Bonkers. That's where 20% of your unit purchase price is going to go, lol!
i'll be helping them determine duty-cycles, production schedules and redundancy values for the automated guided vehicles which carry the 2 e-motors around the production line. Have received project deliverables and acceptance criterias and they're VERY exacting as anticipated.
Gonna be a tough one. Focus. Focus.....
I won't be around much here over the coming months i think.... :|

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by firebobby » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Chris_D wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:04 pm
Bing wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:19 am The museum is ace - see if you can get on a factory tour as well. TBH, if you are consulting for them then you should be able to blag the latter as 'research', surely... developing a deeper understanding of your customer and their business, blah blah :wink:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Only kidding :wink:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Bing
Legend
Legend

Working for Porsche

Post by Bing » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:52 pm

I got a nice personal (unfinished) factory tour from Patrick Knecht who is one of the Senior development engineers for Porsche's planned all-electric vehicle, codename 'J1' due for launch 2018.
I tell u what- it was 'enlightening' to say the least. Everything in their production facility is squeaky clean! Almost pharma-industry standard clean! As many cleaners as production staff. Bonkers. That's where 20% of your unit purchase price is going to go, lol!
i'll be helping them determine duty-cycles, production schedules and redundancy values for the automated guided vehicles which carry the 2 e-motors around the production line. Have received project deliverables and acceptance criterias and they're VERY exacting as anticipated.
Yep, it's an incredible place - are they using the 'old' 918 manufacturing area ? I loved the tour, and you're right it's squeaky clean. Amazing so much is still done by hand in this day and age as well. From memory only the glass fitting and some of the engine assembly is done by robots, and the automated systems for delivering parts. Sounds like a fascinating project, I'm sure you won't miss us too much :D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

firebobby wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Only kidding :wink:
Hahaha u filthy froptwonker fred!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:33 pm

Bing wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Yep, it's an incredible place - are they using the 'old' 918 manufacturing area ? I loved the tour, and you're right it's squeaky clean. Amazing so much is still done by hand in this day and age as well. From memory only the glass fitting and some of the engine assembly is done by robots, and the automated systems for delivering parts. Sounds like a fascinating project, I'm sure you won't miss us too much :D
I dont know if its the 918 production unit. It's certainly been used for producing some kind of vehicle though. I was told that the panamera hybrid production line had relocated twice and then extended 3 times to cater for demand. Could have been one of those. Someone somewhere isnt doing a fantastic job at forecasting market demand i think. Hence all the expansion and new buildings required all over the place.
I had to chuckle when i saw the Nokia building buried inside all the porsche real estate- the ultimate in 'fk u, i own this building and i'm not budging from the empire that's sprung up around me' attitude :lol:

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by paulgs1000 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 am

Got to visit there this summer - brilliant. Surprised me as well that so much was done by hand (they've changed it Bing and even the screen is now fitted by a couple of guys - they needed the flexibility for different models) - basically components being assembled throughout. What I couldn't believe is that the folk working the line are allowed to drink - and there is no limit! (apparently it's a German thing - like the French drinking wine. . . ) :o 5 minute breaks every hour and only two shifts. Don't work at a weekend - all very surprising.
But what a place - it's unbelievable that you have to cross busy roads to get to the parts of the works (there was a RTA whilst we were there :cry: ). A real sense of Porsche throughout. We had to wait to park up in the underground carpark but it gave me more time to drink in the atmosphere. The museum is superb :thumbsup:
All the best with your work OP - got a real sense that liaison was only undertaken with the best - nice one :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Working for Porsche

Post by Chris_D » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:28 pm

paulgs1000 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:43 am Got to visit there this summer - brilliant. Surprised me as well that so much was done by hand (they've changed it Bing and even the screen is now fitted by a couple of guys - they needed the flexibility for different models) - basically components being assembled throughout. What I couldn't believe is that the folk working the line are allowed to drink - and there is no limit! (apparently it's a German thing - like the French drinking wine. . . ) :o 5 minute breaks every hour and only two shifts. Don't work at a weekend - all very surprising.
But what a place - it's unbelievable that you have to cross busy roads to get to the parts of the works (there was a RTA whilst we were there :cry: ). A real sense of Porsche throughout. We had to wait to park up in the underground carpark but it gave me more time to drink in the atmosphere. The museum is superb :thumbsup:
All the best with your work OP - got a real sense that liaison was only undertaken with the best - nice one :thumbsup:
Thx paul! :thumbsup:
Bit daunting but looking forward to next visit next week.
Should bed in ok eventually but certainly feeling a burden of responsibility to deliver!
:cry: