Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replica cars

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jaw

Replica cars

Post by Jaw » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 am

Interested to know people's take on them, I can't decide personally!

When I went to pick up my last car there was a very nice (and bloody fantastic to drive) Cobra Rep.

chevy 504 from memory, and could have only weighed 900kg I'm guessing. It went like a bat out of hell and in a strange way is on the list of cars I regret not taking the plunge for.

But something just didn't sit right y'know? 50-150k will get you a very well sorted ac rep or ford GT rep being the real deals are unobtanium, still a throaty v8 that will do 60 in 4 seconds or so, plus being kits you can customise to your heart's content (I've seen a few 'gt40s' pumping out 700+ bhp :cry:

People seem to give them a pass whereas lambo/ferrari/porsche reps are a big no no (I've seen a murcielago and a diablo for sale, both indistinguishable from the real deal until up close, bmw v12 engines, similar prices, passed for the same reason) - surely they're no different from the GT/Cobra reps?

I guess with the lambos etc it's because you can buy lower end lambos for not much more than the reps and they're replicas of cars made in their thousands..

Personally I wouldn't have a rep of any supercar, but the gt/cobra I'm still not sure! In the 'probably no but would be fun for a month' box.

What do you think, would you ever own a gt/cobra rep?
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

bluespit

Replica cars

Post by bluespit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:53 am

considered a cobra rep a few times but never taken the plunge, first time was about 20 years ago when a self build dax would have cost around £8k. Decided to put £6k into an MGB V8 roadster conversion instead. Didn't regret it one bit.

for me the problem has always been - its a plastic copy

Spotted one last weekend and parked up close to it in the stag. The Body ripples highlighted the plastic-ness of the body otherwise couldn't tell it was a fake.
now I'm about to have more time I've suddenly got less toys to play with!

85genius

Replica cars

Post by 85genius » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:10 am

I was actually looking into them last night :bag: there's someone who makes a cobra kit for the z3 and it's only about £2.5k. They reckon fully built you can do it for £5500 but that would be in a 1.9 so for a decent sized engine low miles z3 and good finish level I reckon you'd be looking nearer 10k which in my book is still cheap for a BMW cobra
Audi quattro driver :o
NOW SOLD - Ruby Black 3.0 SI Roadster :(
Previous - E85 2.5 Ti Silver - See avatar photo - R.I.P Destroyed by a Tranny

Roundozo

Replica cars

Post by Roundozo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

In my opinion some replicas are great such as the cobra mentioned (obviously if it's done right) as a genuine cobra is WAY out of most people's budget.

Some replicas however should have never been created.
Past - Z4 Coupe, gone but not forgotten
Present - 530d M sport touring

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Replica cars

Post by Marlon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 am

Roundozo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am . . .
like this MR2 Ferrari :rofl:
mr2.JPG
mr2.JPG (60.91 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Austin

Replica cars

Post by Austin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:10 am

Before my Z, I used to have an AK Cobra replica and I loved it! But it was a real summertime car / occasional use as it was very weather dependent.

Mine was based an a Jag Chassis with a Chevy 6.7L V8. Straight line acceleration was like nothing else and the raw feel, drive and sound of the car is something I will always miss. But it wasn't confidence inspiring through fast or tight corners, which is why I moved on after 4 years of ownership.

Servicing and tinkering was easy and all and the attention the car got was unbelievable. Always my poster car, but I wanted something I could use all year round, despite of the weather.

If you have an itch its a great car (if you get one that's been well built) and the forum is very good and supportive, with lots of club meets etc. Also, the values on them are very steady and actually can increase with a well maintained car, so its almost risk free.
///MC - Bought to drive. Eventuri / Eibachs / Stubby added

Roundozo

Replica cars

Post by Roundozo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Marlon wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 am
Roundozo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am . . .
like this MR2 Ferrari :rofl:

mr2.JPG
Exactly Marlon.

There is also the lovely Pontiac Fiero Ferrari kit. Makes me feel sick looking at them hence i haven't posted a pic for reference! :sick: :sick: :sick:

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Replica cars

Post by MACK » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:19 pm

A Cobra is the only one I would entertain.
With the various engines, fuel systems, transmissions, diffs, axles, steering and suspensions etc on offer many are far superior to the genuine article
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Replica cars

Post by paulgs1000 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:41 pm

The original Cobra as mentioned is far out of reach these days but to get the drama, looks and ownership thrill, then a replica is the way to go for most folk. Obviously some replica's have better reputations than others but that's reflected in the prices - you'd have to do your homework to buy well.
Seems a no brainer to me though - if you want a Cobra that's the only way to go for the average person - hence the prices staying steady for those that want them. The image and impact is amazing - you've just got to be sure that's what you want to live with. I found a TVR Chimeara was a bit of a look at me motor (mostly noise) and that's nothing compared to the Cobra! A trip to the shops is quite an event :rofl:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Replica cars

Post by sticky » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Think I"d be more inclined towards the porsche 550 James Dean type, at least 1 good quality maker in the UK several in the US

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Replica cars

Post by paulgs1000 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

[IMG]http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz18 ... 260441.jpg[/IMG]
Lovely example and EVERYONE watched it leave Hartside with it's exhaust blowing up dust each side :lol: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Roundozo

Replica cars

Post by Roundozo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 pm

:bonk: :thumbsup:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Replica cars

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:55 pm

Thing is, a whole chunk of the Cobra can still be built pretty much as a Cobra was, same dimensions, suspension set up, even the engine if your in the mood and have the dosh and you are allowed to stick the Cobra name on it. So you are building a Cobra that's a replica of an old Cobra. :D :thumbsup:

When you turn an old MR2 into a wana be Fezza it's just not the same at all. :cry:

Kingfisher

Replica cars

Post by Kingfisher » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am

I believe Ram built the best of the Cobra reps - according to Carrol Shelby - and I think they were something to do with Adrian Reynard which may have helped the handling! These days DAX seem to be the weapon of choice if you can't afford an actual AC replica ... they're all probably better built than the Shelby originals!
Dec 2014 ... E89 35is sDrive M DCT ... Red ... :driving:

Jaw

Replica cars

Post by Jaw » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 pm

buzyg wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:55 pm Thing is, a whole chunk of the Cobra can still be built pretty much as a Cobra was, same dimensions, suspension set up, even the engine if your in the mood and have the dosh and you are allowed to stick the Cobra name on it. So you are building a Cobra that's a replica of an old Cobra. :D :thumbsup:

When you turn an old MR2 into a wana be Fezza it's just not the same at all. :cry:
v good point BUT.. what about lambos that are made from the ground up? Repica or custom chassis, body parts remade from originals, original interior parts etc? Have seen some extremely convincing ones for comparatively good money. This one isn't the best, the door lines don't look right but only one on sale atm. not a bad effort but have seen an extremely convincing murci/diablos in the metal. Still doesn't feel right :lol:

For the record Image

I want.
Last edited by Jaw on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage