Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A weekend in a new mustang

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:31 pm

What is it with car manufacturers that they can make cars look really great at the front but a bit boring at the rear?
The front end of this looks excellent, I like the large mouth shape that makes it look like a whale shark, but the rear just looks like they had no idea how to finish it.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Nictrix wrote:What is it with car manufacturers that they can make cars look really great at the front but a bit boring at the rear?
The front end of this looks excellent, I like the large mouth shape that makes it look like a whale shark, but the rear just looks like they had no idea how to finish it.
can see what you mean, for what it's worth I think photos don't quite do the rear justice - I like the detail on the lights and splitters, think the bumper could have done with a bit more drama though

Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Sae

Post by Sae » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Jaw wrote:
Sae wrote:I really like the current mustang esp us version with the red tail light cluster, but just dont bin it!
Only ncap 2, which is worrying when youve got v8 power to play with :driving:
I'm convinced that the NCAP is mainly due to the fact that you'll obliterate anything that you do hit :D
I dont doubt that, but recent pictures of crash testing show that the front end completely disintegrates on front on impact, that v8 block has got to go somewhere :(

Btw, agree with the pain of civic type r seat sliders, no retaining position, pain the butt literally
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Sae

Post by Sae » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 am

Interesting regarding ncap rating, autoexpress say that the mustang is actually better than e89 z4 for occupant protection, your right in saying the lack of smart driver aids is why its low rated...
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Funnily enough I was thumbing through a copy of What Car today which had an article on the ncap rating, personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Cheap and chintzy with a whiff of hairy chest and old spice.

Tim.

greg1953

Post by greg1953 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm doing a tour of California, Grand canyon etc in Sept. and have booked a Mustang ( or similar ) probably a Camaro, anyone know what they are like ? looking forward to a five litre v8.
Greg

luix_luix

Post by luix_luix » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 pm

I got my Shelby Mustang GT350 delivered last week and I agree with OP, these V8 monsters are really impressive.

Coming from an e89, and while the interior is better than expected (I had really low expectations tbh), the quality is not as good as BMW's. For example, the parking brake and the shifter have this thin leather that feels a little cheap. However, the recaros and alcantara steering wheel are really great.

On the other hand, the exterior design is awesome! However quality wise, the 6th generation Mustang is known for having panel alignment issues. On my case, the panels are aligned correctly except for a well known "rear bumper gap" among GT350 owners, which in my car the gap is really minor. Unfortunately, other Mustang owners have reported several quality issues like hood alignment and even there's a post where a headlight is so badly mounted that you can touch the clips (which are exposed).

I loved my Z4 and I will never forget it, but after driving this car I now get why Mustang enthusiasts are so fond with the car. It is a combination of the engine sound and power, that combined with its heavy weight, makes the driving experience be like nothing I've ever driven before. It really has a unique personality.

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Very nice Luis!
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

luix_luix

Post by luix_luix » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 pm

bmwaddict wrote:Very nice Luis!
Thanks Daniel! The car is now ready for the back roads of Chile :driving: Let me know if you come down to the southern edge of the world :thumbsup:

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 pm

That GT350 has one of the finest engines ever made, the noise it makes is just so wonderful :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Love viper stripes,very nice indeed :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 am

luix_luix wrote:I got my Shelby Mustang GT350 delivered last week and I agree with OP, these V8 monsters are really impressive.

Coming from an e89, and while the interior is better than expected (I had really low expectations tbh), the quality is not as good as BMW's. For example, the parking brake and the shifter have this thin leather that feels a little cheap. However, the recaros and alcantara steering wheel are really great.

On the other hand, the exterior design is awesome! However quality wise, the 6th generation Mustang is known for having panel alignment issues. On my case, the panels are aligned correctly except for a well known "rear bumper gap" among GT350 owners, which in my car the gap is really minor. Unfortunately, other Mustang owners have reported several quality issues like hood alignment and even there's a post where a headlight is so badly mounted that you can touch the clips (which are exposed).

I loved my Z4 and I will never forget it, but after driving this car I now get why Mustang enthusiasts are so fond with the car. It is a combination of the engine sound and power, that combined with its heavy weight, makes the driving experience be like nothing I've ever driven before. It really has a unique personality.
nice! Would love the extra fruit of the shelby!

Yep no fitment issues on the one I had either, maybe it's luck of the draw? completely agree with the thin leather, by far the one thing I really didn't like on the interior - which isn't a bad effort if that's the case!
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

luix_luix

Post by luix_luix » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Jaw wrote:Yep no fitment issues on the one I had either, maybe it's luck of the draw? completely agree with the thin leather, by far the one thing I really didn't like on the interior - which isn't a bad effort if that's the case!
Totally agree! The fitment issues seem to be random, so either you are lucky or you are not :P

What do you think of the Infotainment system (aka the big screen)? My GT350 has the Track Pack, which means I get some performance goodies, but I'm missing on some technology gadgets (I have a small screen). I usually don't use car navigation systems, since I find Waze way more useful (alerts you of nearby cops :thumbsup: ) - is there anything interesting in there?

Also, call me a bad driver, but I'm starting to miss the front and rear proximity sensor I had on the Z. While the GT350 has a rear camera, the dimensions of the car (it is a long one) make it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces (like my garage). Did you get sensors on the GT?

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 am

luix_luix wrote:
Jaw wrote:Yep no fitment issues on the one I had either, maybe it's luck of the draw? completely agree with the thin leather, by far the one thing I really didn't like on the interior - which isn't a bad effort if that's the case!
Totally agree! The fitment issues seem to be random, so either you are lucky or you are not :P

What do you think of the Infotainment system (aka the big screen)? My GT350 has the Track Pack, which means I get some performance goodies, but I'm missing on some technology gadgets (I have a small screen). I usually don't use car navigation systems, since I find Waze way more useful (alerts you of nearby cops :thumbsup: ) - is there anything interesting in there?

Also, call me a bad driver, but I'm starting to miss the front and rear proximity sensor I had on the Z. While the GT350 has a rear camera, the dimensions of the car (it is a long one) make it difficult to maneuver in tight spaces (like my garage). Did you get sensors on the GT?
Honestly have to say the system was one of the best out of the box that I've used in a v long time especially compared to the last two (holden commodore and ford falcon) Nav was clear and accurate, menus really well designed, even the voice control worked well. IT was actually more of a pain to use the apple car play. The kicker speaker setup is also v good for what it is..

I personally found the mustang much easier to pilot than the Z as far as the front end goes, I think because the two bulges give a good reference point. Plus I'm probably a bit over cautious, reverse or parallel park everywhere.

The one I had had rear sensors and camera but no front. The rear did help slip it into some tight spaces for sure, I don't think I'd feel comfortable without as it was a little hard to judge the back due to the body shape and smaller windows..

What are the 350's priced like where you are if you don't mind me asking? got to say with the extra visual tweaks not to mention the interior / performance toys they're very tempting.

Great thing with the mustangs is that the tuning/modding potential is massive!

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:49 am

Wouldn't have thought I'd say it but am seriously thinking about a new mustang :/

If I can negotiate a lower cost by waiving any warranties which is possible, I'd have a good start for some serious mod work (supercharged, suspension pack, interior)

I was looking at used/more exotic but if something goes pop chances are the repair bill will net the same on both (well, cheaper on the ford0 ...