Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

A weekend in a new mustang

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 am

Finally got my hands on one for the weekend.

Going to be clocking up some miles but I have to say, so far I am extremely impressed. Caveat: expectations were quite low - It helps it's case that the last mustang I drove was a 2008ish solid rear axle junker.

The v8 burble is addictive, reminds me of my old XR8, handles well for a lardy muscle car really, the adjustable steering and modes are quite effective at blasting out an accidental powerslide and pressing on in the twisties. Build quality is better than I thought. Autobox is sluggish but it's very comfy and pretty pacey. Had a tussle with a mate (read: guy I got talking to about cars at the airport then took me to see some decent roads) in an E92 M3 and he didn't particularly make any better progress albeit much more poised in the beemer and much closer to the limits in the mustang. I can seriously see myself in one as a mile muncher when the residuals drop them down which they will if they are going to end up sold in typical mustang numbers..

off for another blast, hopefully it doesnt end in handcuffs..
Z4M Roadster - Gone but not forgotten
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:10 am

Lolz @ those venturis! But i suppose it will need all the downforce it can get. Pushing 2 tonnes?
Enjoy :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:56 am

With the Falcon and Commodores no longer in production, I guess these could be a serious contender for those not interested in Euro (or Japanese) cars, and the associated cliches that go with them in some circles. My wife loves the look of these Mustangs, but doesn't have the confidence to get behind the wheel of one.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 am

Chris_D wrote:Lolz @ those venturis! But i suppose it will need all the downforce it can get. Pushing 2 tonnes?
Enjoy :thumbsup:
Ha yep not far off! 1750 or so I think? You definately notice it, it was never going to feel nimble :rofl:
E92 M3 | 981 Boxster S | Corvette C4 | 996 911 Gemballa |XR8 | Whatever else is lurking in the garage

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:09 am

enzed4 wrote:With the Falcon and Commodores no longer in production, I guess these could be a serious contender for those not interested in Euro (or Japanese) cars, and the associated cliches that go with them in some circles. My wife loves the look of these Mustangs, but doesn't have the confidence to get behind the wheel of one.
really?? wow, so what will the new V8 Supercar series be using now? That's some of the best racing action available imo and even more enjoyable to watch than F1. Would love to drive the Bathurst circuit for real but it'll never happen. snif. :roll:

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:11 am

I love the look of these, they did a great job on the styling imo.
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:35 am

Chris_D wrote:
enzed4 wrote:With the Falcon and Commodores no longer in production, I guess these could be a serious contender for those not interested in Euro (or Japanese) cars, and the associated cliches that go with them in some circles. My wife loves the look of these Mustangs, but doesn't have the confidence to get behind the wheel of one.
really?? wow, so what will the new V8 Supercar series be using now? That's some of the best racing action available imo and even more enjoyable to watch than F1. Would love to drive the Bathurst circuit for real but it'll never happen. snif. :roll:
DUnno about Holden, but ford were said to be trying (and failing) to get support for a mustang on the track, and also considering a v8 Focus Saloon. Be interested to see what they come out with!

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:38 am

We only drove the V6 convertible for a week but we liked it, the V8 Coupe should make a good fun used beastie. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Good read. I do like these, alot. Get a lot of car for your money even with all the options over here. Wife really likes them too which is a big help :D
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:11 pm

I really like the current mustang esp us version with the red tail light cluster, but just dont bin it!
Only ncap 2, which is worrying when youve got v8 power to play with :driving:
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:34 pm

Chris_D wrote:
Perhaps you could try and get 50 mpg out of a v8 Mustang around there. :wink:

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:36 pm

Jaw wrote:Image

Finally got my hands on one for the weekend.

Going to be clocking up some miles but I have to say, so far I am extremely impressed. Caveat: expectations were quite low - It helps it's case that the last mustang I drove was a 2008ish solid rear axle junker.

The v8 burble is addictive, reminds me of my old XR8, handles well for a lardy muscle car really, the adjustable steering and modes are quite effective at blasting out an accidental powerslide and pressing on in the twisties. Build quality is better than I thought. Autobox is sluggish but it's very comfy and pretty pacey. Had a tussle with a mate (read: guy I got talking to about cars at the airport then took me to see some decent roads) in an E92 M3 and he didn't particularly make any better progress albeit much more poised in the beemer and much closer to the limits in the mustang. I can seriously see myself in one as a mile muncher when the residuals drop them down which they will if they are going to end up sold in typical mustang numbers..

off for another blast, hopefully it doesnt end in handcuffs..
Do like Mustangs for some reason I can't explain to myself. 8) Be warned if Carol spots that pic, she'll be around and nick it.
Last edited by buzyg on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 pm

buzyg wrote:
Chris_D wrote:
Perhaps you could try and get 50 mpg out of a v8 Mustang around there. :wink:
Photo 07-11-2016, 19 40 37.jpg
Photo 07-11-2016, 19 40 37.jpg (85.93 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Sae wrote:I really like the current mustang esp us version with the red tail light cluster, but just dont bin it!
Only ncap 2, which is worrying when youve got v8 power to play with :driving:
I'm convinced that the NCAP is mainly due to the fact that you'll obliterate anything that you do hit :D

Jaw

Post by Jaw » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:07 pm

Since Im in a hotel room avoiding doing some work, some more pics if anyone's interested.

The interior does feel cheap in places, the leather, just like my old XR8 is more ''leather'' than leather. You won't get the supple nappa you'll be used to, but a thin, leatherette feeling sheen. Plastics around the dash cowl give the game up and flex when pressed. The toggle switchgear that people complain about actually feels pretty solid and convincing though and the layout of the steering controls seemed fussy at first but is actually pretty well thought out. The sat nav is actually one of the best I've used, clear and simple menus, big screen, voice control etc works well.

The fact that the paddles move with the steering wheel proves the box is more of a sportier waftomatic box rather than something that's trying to break records. A bit annoying when trying to press on. The adaptable steering weighing and driving modes work well, the sports mode gives you snappy steering where comfort adds a buffer between input and reaction, perfect for those bumpy roads. Sports mode on the gear box puts it into full manual via paddles which is fun. The box response as soon as you flip it, but it takes a second for the gearbox to complete the rev blip and re-engagement. Once you get into a routine its not a big issue but wouldn't be the best around a track

It's clever how lots of little add ons make up for the fact that the plastics flex or that the gearbox takes a while to complete a shift or the way the seats don't retain their position a-la civic type r when you let the back passengers out.. Keep production cheap with cheaper materials and build (eg the dash is symmetrical so they can just flip the steering column left to right instead of having different parts hence why the heater grills flex) Think Rover SD1..

Stereo is awesome for what it is.

A tasty exhaust, some beefy recaros (although you'd want factory ones to retain the air conditioned seats), some stiffer suspension and a supercharger and you'd have an absolute monster and it probably wouldn't all cost you that much extra.. :driving: