Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Volvo concepts

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Sae

Volvo concepts

Post by Sae » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:19 am

I know Volvo are foreign owned etc, but as a fan of breadvan shapes the world could do with a coupe shooting break to spice up the market right now...

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/conc ... pt-estate#

Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Volvo concepts

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:08 am

Shape looks great - but I'm guessing it will be some nose-heavy FWD inert understeer disaster. :lol:

Some years ago I sort of wondered about a C30 with the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder petrol engine as I thought they looked good, then I read the reviews - better to get a Focus ST if you wanted to enjoy driving it!

Shame really, but from what I have read Volvos seem to have similar dynamics to Audis these days - so not for me! :thumbsdown:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sae

Volvo concepts

Post by Sae » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:37 am

Just think theres still an unfilled niche out there.
Id also like to see a bmw 4 series coupe estate, that would also work :)

Have to say i also have a soft spot for the old volvo brand as i started driving in my pops 740, but they havent had anything out since the mad touring car estate to tempt me, but they are heading in the right direction in the quality lux market
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Volvo concepts

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:17 am

Mr Tidy wrote:
Some years ago I sort of wondered about a C30 with the 2.5 litre 5 cylinder petrol engine as I thought they looked good, then I read the reviews - better to get a Focus ST if you wanted to enjoy driving it!
Actually this is pretty funny, as the c30 is build on exactly the same platform as the Focus. So same engine position, same suspension arms etc.
So that pretty much leaves springrates and swaybars to differently tune the roadholding, as dimensions (wheelbase) are probably also the same.
And that 2.5 is the same engine as used in the Focus ST 2.5 :lol:
So you pretty much cant have cars that are more alike from a technical POV.

Volvo has used ford platforms for years. So any difference in steering compared to their ford brothers will be in tuning from springs and swaybars; the bigger volvos are certainly more comfort oriented.

Now they have their own scalable platform
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Volvo concepts

Post by BMWZ4MC » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:19 am

Whilst I quite like the Concept Estate, I think the Concept Coupe is absolutely stunning. It's everything the Audi A5 tries (and fails) to be. I'm sure that it would fall short of the mark though, were it ever put into production.
To me, the Concept XC Coupe and Estate reinforce how much more resolved and even elegant two doors are than four.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Sae

Volvo concepts

Post by Sae » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Its a seriously niche market, but id think they be surprised at how popular it would be if they made one - like the concept of course
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Volvo concepts

Post by cj10jeeper » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Apart from some fancy tail lights I'm really not seeing anything exciting in that at all.
Not practical enough to be an estate and nothing like stylish enough to match coupes
Each to their own though..
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Volvo concepts

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 pm

That concept estate is like a shooting brake. I like it.
And volvo obviously has a history with that.

except this one's way cooler, from volvo's RWD days :roll:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

DMC63

Volvo concepts

Post by DMC63 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Another generic 'same shape as all the rest' car. Yawn :thumbsdown:
BMW Z4 2003 2.5i and lots of bits and pieces - 2016 - 2020 Sold

Volvo concepts

Post by sticky » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:39 pm

I think Ferrari FF does the job, might need to save up for a few decades though 8)

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Volvo concepts

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:40 pm

DMC63 wrote:Another generic 'same shape as all the rest' car. Yawn :thumbsdown:
Same shooting brake shape like? ferrari gtc4lusso or FF?
Dont know of any other shooting brakes now available on the market? :?

So pretty unique. Pretty cool for a brand like volvo to be directly compared to ferrari... :roll:

DMC63

Volvo concepts

Post by DMC63 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:42 pm

GuidoK wrote:
DMC63 wrote:Another generic 'same shape as all the rest' car. Yawn :thumbsdown:
Same shooting brake shape like? ferrari gtc4lusso or FF?
Dont know of any other shooting brakes now available on the market? :?

So pretty unique. Pretty cool for a brand like volvo to be directly compared to ferrari... :roll:
Shooting brake? Never heard of it. I"m just going on the looks of the car. It's just another one of these with Toyota Prius rear lights.
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.37.14.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.37.14.png (817.68 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.34.06.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.34.06.png (458.26 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.32.39.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.32.39.png (590.3 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.30.34.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 22.30.34.png (791.17 KiB) Viewed 3546 times

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Volvo concepts

Post by GuidoK » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:57 am

DMC63 wrote: Shooting brake? Never heard of it.
You really dont know the term shooting brake in car terminology?!? :o

Anyway, like stated by others: the only ones you can now buy are made by ferrari, and its a pretty niche model, so not at all 'generic same shape as all the rest', pretty far from it acutally as there only have been a handful in history. For every shooting brake there are probably 1000+ sedan/hatchback/estate models.
A shooting brake is like making an estate from a coupe, like a normal estate is made from the 4 door sedan.
Technically it should be a 2 door estate with a somewhat sloping roofline.
That range rover evoque 2 door is most close, but is an SUV, and imho also not a 'same shape as the rest' type of car. (that bmw x2 is still concept). That XC coupe is very much like those 2 (but again, I cant think of other cars in that segment; 2 door suv's)

So yeah, pretty rare as far as acutal produced models. Probably the rarest type of all different car body models available if looking at the actual models produced.
Volvo has had a real history with them, aston martin has, now ferrari has, Reliant build the scimitar, and there are a few more but thats it I think.
Would be awesome if volvo actually started making this one.

DMC63

Volvo concepts

Post by DMC63 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:02 am

GuidoK wrote:
DMC63 wrote: Shooting brake? Never heard of it.
You really dont know the term shooting brake in car terminology?!? :o

Anyway, like stated by others: the only ones you can now buy are made by ferrari, and its a pretty niche model, so not at all 'generic same shape as all the rest', pretty far from it acutally as there only have been a handful in history. For every shooting brake there are probably 1000+ sedan/hatchback/estate models.
A shooting brake is like making an estate from a coupe, like a normal estate is made from the 4 door sedan.
Technically it should be a 2 door estate with a somewhat sloping roofline.
That range rover evoque 2 door is most close, but is an SUV, and imho also not a 'same shape as the rest' type of car. (that bmw x2 is still concept). That XC coupe is very much like those 2 (but again, I cant think of other cars in that segment; 2 door suv's)

So yeah, pretty rare as far as acutal produced models. Probably the rarest type of all different car body models available if looking at the actual models produced.
Volvo has had a real history with them, aston martin has, now ferrari has, Reliant build the scimitar, and there are a few more but thats it I think.
Would be awesome if volvo actually started making this one.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I admit my eye for car shapes is very basic. When driving I see the repetition of the same shapes. Probably down to the wind tunnel kicking up the best lines for economy.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Volvo concepts

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:15 pm

GuidoK wrote: Actually this is pretty funny, as the c30 is build on exactly the same platform as the Focus. So same engine position, same suspension arms etc.So that pretty much leaves springrates and swaybars to differently tune the roadholding, as dimensions (wheelbase) are probably also the same.And that 2.5 is the same engine as used in the Focus ST 2.5 So you pretty much cant have cars that are more alike from a technical POV.Volvo has used ford platforms for years. So any difference in steering compared to their ford brothers will be in tuning from springs and swaybars; the bigger volvos are certainly more comfort oriented.
I know - that was my point! (Possibly should have mentioned the shared platform up front, rather than assume others' awareness). :wink:

The reviews I read at the time all seemed to struggle to see how Ford managed to make the platform drive pretty well, while the Volvo was so wide of the mark!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black