Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smartbears Mazda rx8 evolve edition

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi, way back in 2006 when I was a young bear cub I bought a new Mazda rx8 in a wonderful copper red colour, with stone leather interior.
It went like the clappers (if you revved the conkers off it) & drank petrol like you wouldn't believe (18mpg anyone)
Anyway I've just found some old pics & been dusting off the scanner this afternoon :P
This is my first trip out in it

This was a couple of months later at the pro-drive skid pan in Warwickshire, they have a high speed handling course as well which was good fun, also went on accompanied drives out with ex police pursuit drivers (I think I frightened my one a bit)

Rob
Last edited by Smartbear on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Paulr

Post by Paulr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Nice colour and terrific engine. Shame they were so juicy and have the 'tip wear' reputation.
If you try and take a cat apart the first thing you have is a non working cat.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:24 am

Wow - lovely car in a great colour combination OP! :thumbsup:

I have often wondered about buying an RX8, but you seem to have confirmed my concerns about economy (or lack of it) :roll:

Shame they never put the MP3 engine into the RX8 shell!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 pm

Had my RX8 for over 2 years now and use it as my daily driver. Love it to bits but it is shocking for fuel and is £500 a year tax.
Loads of great looking car for little money. Will be sorry to sell it this spring.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:33 am

I took one of these for a test drive back on 2006. The salesman gave me he keys and said come back in an hour. What a car, amazing handling although I didn't come back in an hour I came back in 45 mins because I'd used a quarter of a tank of fuel. Good job I didn't get one as I was doing 20k miles a year st the time, would have bankrupted me. Ended up getting a brand new r56 Cooper S

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 am

According to the DVLA website it is still around. Nice cars but it was not only petrol they went through. Oil consumption was also very high. Judging by the amount of cars for sale as spares or repair not very reliable

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:44 am

Reading this reminds me of the time I owned a NSU Ro80, lovely car when it worked, a nightmare in fuel and spark plug costs.
Ended up leaving it on the garage forecourt I bought it from with the keys and paperwork, cancelled the direct debit or HP in those days, and went to work in Mombassa for three years.
Great pity in a way but Dr Wankel did me no favours.
2.2R Toledo Blue

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:54 am

Such a cool car, had every thing bar economy. I like my Mazdas and an RX8 Daily has always been a temptation, but the economy/tax, has put even a gas guzzling oil hater like me off. So I drive the 2.3 not the 1.3 :lol:

Thanks for sharing a bit more of your family album Mr Bear. Always brings a smile. :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:31 am

I had a drive in my brothers at around the time you had yours - great fun and very quick, he said it drank a lot of oil as well as petrol, a very thirsty Rotary Wankel engine
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

ocrx8

Post by ocrx8 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:55 pm

My parents have had one from new, took it out at Xmas and even 13 years on I still love the noise it makes! Zero thrust versus the M, obviously, but they're cool cars in my book that still look good today.

The oil usage is grossly exaggerated IMO.
Current: '08 ///MR | Interlagos | Champagne | Nav | DSP | Cruise | Intravee | ZHP | Black Grilles | Stubby

Previous: '56 3.0si Sport Roadster | Ruby Black | Extended Champagne | Nav | DSP | Xenons | 108s | Non-RFs | Stubby

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 pm

ekimj10 wrote:Reading this reminds me of the time I owned a NSU Ro80, lovely car when it worked, a nightmare in fuel and spark plug costs.
Ended up leaving it on the garage forecourt I bought it from with the keys and paperwork, cancelled the direct debit or HP in those days, and went to work in Mombassa for three years.
Great pity in a way but Dr Wankel did me no favours.

Didn't a lot of these get ford v4 conversions iirc ?

Fishy Dave

Post by Fishy Dave » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 pm

I went to buy one as a race car six months ago (It was caged with lots of mods but had sat outside for years!), ended up buying the E30 instead. I wouldn't consider one as a daily driver but as a track car they seem to make a lot of sense. :)
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 pm

ocrx8 wrote:My parents have had one from new, took it out at Xmas and even 13 years on I still love the noise it makes! Zero thrust versus the M, obviously, but they're cool cars in my book that still look good today.

The oil usage is grossly exaggerated IMO.
I agree about the oil usage, it's not a fault or worn engine but its designed to use oil to lubricate the rotor tips.
From memory mine used 6litres of oil in 12k miles. I enjoyed the sound it made as well :D
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ekimj10

Post by ekimj10 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:47 am

I think they did, seem to remember the engine being relatively small and lots of space to put a bigger unit in.
The other weird thing was the semi-auto 3 speed gear box, with the gear lever knob activating the clutch.
Not sure what happened to NSU, remember bubble cars and not much else.
2.2R Toledo Blue

Paulwirral

Post by Paulwirral » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:38 am

ekimj10 wrote:
I think they did, seem to remember the engine being relatively small and lots of space to put a bigger unit in.
The other weird thing was the semi-auto 3 speed gear box, with the gear lever knob activating the clutch.
Not sure what happened to NSU, remember bubble cars and not much else.
They did get the old v4 put into them , it was a short compact engine so ideal for the space , but god it was a horrible noisy rough old thing , normally found in transits unfortunately !