Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

test driving the Tesla Model X today ...

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:06 pm

Im planning on buying a new car to replace my current company wheels (a MB E250 AMG estate) sometime in January and so I'm off to test drive the new Tesla Model X this afternoon.

Looking forward to falcon wing doors, bioweapons defence (whatever that is!!) and most of all: something called Ludicrous mode that propels the Model X from 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds ...
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Sky-drive wrote:Im planning on buying a new car to replace my current company wheels (a MB E250 AMG estate) sometime in January and so I'm off to test drive the new Tesla Model X this afternoon.

Looking forward to falcon wing doors, bioweapons defence (whatever that is!!) and most of all: something called Ludicrous mode that propels the Model X from 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds ...

Jealous......

Lucky barsteward!

Mike

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:15 pm

I test drove a Tesla saloon, the one with the big battery and it out accelerated my Boxster and left me standing!!! Flies like you wouldn't believe but looks like s***

kammy1975

Post by kammy1975 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:08 pm

Stark wrote:I test drove a Tesla saloon, the one with the big battery and it out accelerated my Boxster and left me standing!!! Flies like you wouldn't believe but looks like s***
They aren't the best looking, but 0-60 in 2.9 seconds !!! I think I could live with the looks with that level of performance !!

Not sure I would get much out of the battery though, I would be doing 0-60 sprints from every set of lights!!! Seek revenge on the Golf Rs that seem to be tormenting my poor Zed ! :evil:

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:21 pm

Back in the summer I tried in my Zed to keep up with a Tesla S from a standing start down onto the North Wales expressway ... and the way it took off down the road was incredible! Lets just say I had to attain Mach speeds before I was able to catch up ...

My Zed was trounced by a Golf R in an impromptu drag race on a closed runway couple of months ago. No contest, the Golf won although I did point out my 2.5 was 12 years old!

I am just wondering if the accompanying Tesla sales guy today is going to be happy on the test drive whilst I drive the X in the spirited manner in which I drive my Z4 along empty Welsh roads ... :driving: ... and I think 0-60 traffic light sprints shall be the order of the day :D

I will endeavour to report back later with some photos :thumbsup:
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Drive it like you would normally want to drive it. Thats what most dealers say. If he asks you to baby it then theres something wrong.

Looking forward to hearing the report.
Btw, what do you do for supercharginng stations?
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Sae wrote:Drive it like you would normally want to drive it. Thats what most dealers say. If he asks you to baby it then theres something wrong.

Think its range may be a sticking point ... I currently drive 40k+ miles annually for work so time it takes to recharge battery fully and the location of supercharging stations are going to be crucial.

Also planning on getting myself a test drive in a Jaguar XJ 3.0 diesel plus a Land Rover Discovery sometime over Xmas and New Year.

Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Sky-drive wrote:
Sae wrote:Drive it like you would normally want to drive it. Thats what most dealers say. If he asks you to baby it then theres something wrong.

Think its range may be a sticking point ... I currently drive 40k+ miles annually for work so time it takes to recharge battery fully and the location of supercharging stations are going to be crucial.

Also planning on getting myself a test drive in a Jaguar XJ 3.0 diesel plus a Land Rover Discovery sometime over Xmas and New Year.
Blimey, for that amount of mileage a deisel is probably your choice for economy vs practicality and available charging... I'd suggest adding the macan s deisel to your list for good measure :)
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

kammy1975 wrote:
Stark wrote:I test drove a Tesla saloon, the one with the big battery and it out accelerated my Boxster and left me standing!!! Flies like you wouldn't believe but looks like s***
They aren't the best looking, but 0-60 in 2.9 seconds !!! I think I could live with the looks with that level of performance !!

Not sure I would get much out of the battery though, I would be doing 0-60 sprints from every set of lights!!! Seek revenge on the Golf Rs that seem to be tormenting my poor Zed ! :evil:
How can you say you can live the looks with that performance??? Surely looks come before performance. I would have to disagree with what you've said.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Sae wrote:
Sky-drive wrote:

Blimey, for that amount of mileage a deisel is probably your choice for economy vs practicality and available charging... I'd suggest adding the macan s deisel to your list for good measure :)
Macan S diesel is not great, I had that as a loaner and it is most definitely missing the lower end turbo that BMW uses. At roundabouts it was horribly as slowing down / pulling away, it was dead. From a stop pulling away it is fine, but you can not come to almost a stop and then try to pull away quickly. Would never have one because of that.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Sae

Post by Sae » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:56 pm

pvr wrote:
Sae wrote:
Sky-drive wrote:

Macan S diesel is not great, I had that as a loaner and it is most definitely missing the lower end turbo that BMW uses. At roundabouts it was horribly as slowing down / pulling away, it was dead. From a stop pulling away it is fine, but you can not come to almost a stop and then try to pull away quickly. Would never have one because of that.
Thats interesting, as its a twin turbo and you have the manual paddles for keeping it in the torque zone, although didnt specifically try the maneovre you suggest. (Is that a pdk issue?)

But as the OP is going ti test several cars, he may aswell go the whole hog - no pun intended
Z4MCoupe Sapphire Black

un1eash

Post by un1eash » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Id be quick to order if your interested in a Tesla before they put the price up anymore.

https://electrek.co/2016/12/22/tesla-price-increase-uk/

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Sky-drive wrote:

I'd suggest the XF over the XJ. The latter is a cool car, great interior but just too long. Was designed for US and China, hence you see few on the UK roads.
I run the XF 3.0 diesel S and been very pleased with it. Easily outperforms the Zed, which surprises many a hot hatch :)

Tesla called me today to remind I haven't test driven it yet and free charging ends Jan 1, so must do so soon, even though I won't buy one
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:19 pm

Sae wrote:
pvr wrote:
Sae wrote:
Thats interesting, as its a twin turbo and you have the manual paddles for keeping it in the torque zone, although didnt specifically try the maneovre you suggest. (Is that a pdk issue?)

But as the OP is going ti test several cars, he may aswell go the whole hog - no pun intended
It was an automatic yes, but as I only drove country roads and town roundabouts, it was very noticeable for me. Slow down for a junction, but don't completely stop, look at the road you are joining - you see a gap - floor it, and nothing, nothing, followed by a sudden surge. Better on sport mode, but as I normally drive an X5 40d, the difference between the cars performance wise was night and day. I would buy the Turbo S instead as when I drove that, it was a complete different car and much more enjoyable.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:13 am

So, test drive done. And I have to admit I felt slightly underwhelmed by the Model X.

Yes it is impressive in its acceleration given its size and weight and, thanks to the optional 22 inch wheels it was sitting on, handling verged on 'okay' yet I just couldn't shake the feeling I was piloting a Luton van - can only put that down to the height of the panoramic windscreen/glass roof soaring over my head.

As there is so much glass upfront and above, wind noise around the A pillar was very noticeable above 70mph and I think intrudes significantly on conversations. The sales adviser tried to imply that the wind noise was far more apparent due to a) the lack of an internal combustion engine rumbling away upfront and b) a strong cross wind on the M5 motorway. Lets just say I had to ask him to repeat what he had said as I couldn't hear him at that point in time ... :poke:

A little disconcerting to detect on max "foot to the floor" that the front end lifts and the steering becomes very light. Only time I have ever encountered that sensation was in my youth driving a Citroen AX GTi and taking it into triple figure speeds. Didn't expect this on the Model X as it is such a heavy car weighing in at 2,467 kg. By the way, I should add here that Tesla have now electronically restricted all of their demo models to 85mph on test drives ...

Taking your foot fully off the accelerator creates a substantial braking effect and thankfully lights up the rear brake lights to warn following motorists. Easing right off the accelerator like you would say in your Zed in order to decelerate smoothly isn't an option and you quickly learn to recalibrate your right foot in order to maintain control over the deceleration.

Other observations: yep its definitely not a looker, bit of a frumpy plain Jane in my book ... and when you consider the price tag it definitely failed to attract any admiring gazes from other road-users. Parked up, the Falcon wing doors are fun, but that novelty didnt last long as I noticed the motors were already noticeably whining and ending with a slight graunch when lifting the rear doors up and out, not good.

Window and mirror switches plus the indicator stalk and column mounted gearshift have been lifted straight out of a 12 plate Mercedes E Class.

Third row seats are really only designed for short hops down to the pub and are certainly better suited to skinny types who are less than 5' 8" in height.

The large touch screen in the dashboard can be used for a variety of car functions and I liked it can surf the Internet but Tesla have opted not to allow flash media to play on it ... so no Youtube or iPlayer permitted and disappointingly no provision of in-car wifi either. Instead Tesla have elected to provide buyers with a free subscription to Spotify so music can be streamed directly through the media player.

Other issues: there are currently no Tesla Supercharging stations in Surrey or South London which is an issue for me as the majority of my work is spent there. And as of January any new Model X ordered will no longer benefit from free charging for life, instead Tesla plan to only provide the first 1000 miles free of charge. Oh and the vehicle warranty only covers the first 50,000 miles :(

Would I buy one? Given the fact that I was only permitted a 45 minute drive (the first 15 minutes the sales adviser drives the 'SUV' to a Supercharger bay at M5 Portbury Services) that personally for me doesnt feel sufficient time to make a decision on whether to shell out £7k deposit and then £1300+VAT per month for 48 months. The current dangled incentive of free supercharging at Tesla charging stations sadly runs out 31st December and the fact that the purchase price is set to increase by 5% in January doesn't help either and being told this by the sales chap felt a little like pressure-selling to me.

I guess if you have the ability to put the car through the business, its definitely worth considering running past the company accountant, as with the fuel and benefit in kind savings, as well as the 100% first year allowances, going electric can make good business sense however does that really make me want to go out and buy one: :thumbsdown: