Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Test drove a M135i today

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Got to say, it was an incredible car. Also test drove a 2013 Golf GTI (the M135i was also 2013) and was really disappointed with the Golf. It just felt a bit cheap and even though I'd be replacing my 2007 Type R, I preferred the feel of the Type R.

It was in estoril blue and I know a lot of people don't like the looks of the 1 series but I was really pleasantly surprised with just how good it looks in the flesh.

Anyway, thinking of buying the M to replace the Type R (Still keeping my Z ;-))

Now just trying to justify (to myself) spending 20k on a car!

jan_tekin

Test drove a M135i today

Post by jan_tekin » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:12 pm

They are good, even better when you start to tinker with them.

I've fitted a BCS 200 sports cat and a TMC turning box which has made it bonkers as it struggles for grip in 3rd :driving:
Current: M135i
Sold:3.0lsi Sport Roadster, Xenons,Heated seats, blutooth, Hi Fi,Comfort Pack, Cruse Control, Stormworks ST1
Gear Knob, Stubby, KW V2s, 224s

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm

jan_tekin wrote:They are good, even better when you start to tinker with them.

I've fitted a BCS 200 sports cat and a TMC turning box which has made it bonkers as it struggles for grip in 3rd :driving:
Blimey. Think it's way powerful enough for me in it's factory state!!

pvr
Legend
Legend

Test drove a M135i today

Post by pvr » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:16 pm

Jan, you hooligan :lol:
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by TitanTim » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:39 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed my M135i the 2 years I had it, a great alrounder and had no problems with it apart from a hit and run on the rear bumper,

Imagefree image hosting

3 months into the M140i and its just as good, theres not much that can touch these for the money.

Imageupload photo

Tim.

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:42 pm

TitanTim wrote:Thoroughly enjoyed my M135i the 2 years I had it, a great alrounder and had no problems with it apart from a hit and run on the rear bumper
Yeah, I don't think I've heard a bad word from any owner, which is always good.

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:11 am

I've enquired about one last night in my perfect spec, it's just miles away from me, I just hope it's not sold already
2004 3.0i **SOLD**
Current motor... ///M235i

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:16 am

Beetlegav wrote:I've enquired about one last night in my perfect spec, it's just miles away from me, I just hope it's not sold already
Hoping it's not the same one I'm looking at.

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:37 pm

greencode wrote:
Beetlegav wrote:I've enquired about one last night in my perfect spec, it's just miles away from me, I just hope it's not sold already
Hoping it's not the same one I'm looking at.

Nope it's grey with red leather up in Edinburgh and it's sold :cry: :cry:
2004 3.0i **SOLD**

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Beetlegav wrote:Nope it's grey with red leather up in Edinburgh and it's sold :cry: :cry:
Ahh, sorry to hear that.

I'm still umming and ahhing whether I should actually buy the car! Just can't decide. Cleaned the Type R today and it looks great (minus the annoying stone chips on the bonnet and front wings). I do have the money but thinking it's a bit of a silly idea :? Decisions, decisions!

Mowflow

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Mowflow » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:13 am

I had a 125d and always wished I had bought an m135i. When I eventually made the switch I only lasted 6 months with the m135i. The failings were the same between the 2 cars. The steering is horribly vague, the manual box is horrible and the spring rate to damping is horribly mismatched making the car feel a bit wobbly on uneven B roads. Both were great on a motorway but looking back the 125d probably did that bit better as it was as quick, quieter, same interior etc while using half as much fuel. You will also easily find threads on babybmw regarding steering and handling where owners aren't impressed, worth reading then doing a proper test drive to explore these things.

Before these cars I had a type R and it was a vastly better driving experience. I've also just returned a leased golf R and again it's been a much better drive than the BMW. However, I do get what you mean about parts of the golf feeling cheap. The type r also felt cheap but I never cared. I now have a Cupra 290 and the same cheap golf parts are in it with a few more added, where they seem more at home (lower expectations of the brand). If the gti you tried didn't have the performance pack then I urge you to try something with the VAQ diff.

I think the argument for the BMW is it has a brilliant engine, makes a nice noise and every bit of the interior is of a good quality. Many of the competitors are better to drive and some more practical though. It just depends what matters most to the individual.
Mk7 Golf R
Peugeot 205GTi

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:48 am

Mowflow wrote:I had a 125d and always wished I had bought an m135i. When I eventually made the switch I only lasted 6 months with the m135i. The failings were the same between the 2 cars. The steering is horribly vague, the manual box is horrible and the spring rate to damping is horribly mismatched making the car feel a bit wobbly on uneven B roads. Both were great on a motorway but looking back the 125d probably did that bit better as it was as quick, quieter, same interior etc while using half as much fuel. You will also easily find threads on babybmw regarding steering and handling where owners aren't impressed, worth reading then doing a proper test drive to explore these things.

Before these cars I had a type R and it was a vastly better driving experience. I've also just returned a leased golf R and again it's been a much better drive than the BMW. However, I do get what you mean about parts of the golf feeling cheap. The type r also felt cheap but I never cared. I now have a Cupra 290 and the same cheap golf parts are in it with a few more added, where they seem more at home (lower expectations of the brand). If the gti you tried didn't have the performance pack then I urge you to try something with the VAQ diff.

I think the argument for the BMW is it has a brilliant engine, makes a nice noise and every bit of the interior is of a good quality. Many of the competitors are better to drive and some more practical though. It just depends what matters most to the individual.
Thanks for your comments. I think I would take the m135i for another test drive as I think when I initially drove it I was too busy looking at the nice interior and testing the acceleration :) As most of my driving is on B roads or rough A roads then it would need to feel right. There's nothing worse than driving a car where you don't feel in control and you can't feel the road beneath you. One of the reasons I love the Type R a) the steering is fairly heavy but still easy when needing to park etc and b) the suspension is pretty hard. Obviously some people prefer a completely smooth ride but not me.

Beetlegav

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Beetlegav » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Just bought an m235i :driving:

Anybody want to buy my z4?
2004 3.0i **SOLD**

Lynchy
Lifer
Lifer

Test drove a M135i today

Post by Lynchy » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Pics of the M235i pls :thumbsup:

greencode

Test drove a M135i today

Post by greencode » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Beetlegav wrote:Just bought an m235i :driving:

Anybody want to buy my z4?
I'm a bit more restricted… I have a dog!