Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E30 Race Car Blog with Video

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
pHilli0

New race car (BMW)

Post by pHilli0 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 pm Good luck to pHilli0 who has his first ever races this weekend at Cadwell Park in PBMW. :thumbsup:
Thanks :) its next weekend 23rd. I cant wait to give it a go. Nervous and excited :D
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.php/blog/

Fishy Dave

New race car (BMW)

Post by Fishy Dave » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Ah yes, I should know it's next week, if it were this weekend I could have been there :? :oops:

My stickers arrived yesterday, although I've not got the windscreen strip still oh and not sure the white pbmw will show up on my car :roll: . The Trackday Trophy stickers are on, but look pretty horrible!
20170409_161859_resized.jpg
20170409_161859_resized.jpg (132.56 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
I taxed it this week so have had a couple of fun days driving it on the road. Anyone complaining that the ride in their M is firm should drive this! :D
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car
Now sold: Z4M Roadster, the best all round car I have owned.

TomK

New race car (BMW)

Post by TomK » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 pm

pHilli0 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 pm
Fishy Dave wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 pm Good luck to pHilli0 who has his first ever races this weekend at Cadwell Park in PBMW. :thumbsup:
Thanks :) its next weekend 23rd. I cant wait to give it a go. Nervous and excited :D
Good luck tomorrow Phil! Weather looks good for you too, I'm dreading my first will be in the pissing rain :lol:
Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:
MC[IB], CSL airbox, Schrick 288/280 cams, 4.44FD, UUC SSK, SS race cat back, AP CP9660[F]/5144[R] brakes, Apex ARC-8 with AR-1 or PS5, KW ClubSport 2-way, Turner spherical arms, PMC uniball rtab, VB engine mounts, Rogue pulleys & RSMs, Tillett B6, half cage

pHilli0

New race car (BMW)

Post by pHilli0 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

Thanks Gents! Had an amazing day yesterday! Headlines: qualified 13th race 1, 12th race 2 out of 26. Then finished both races 14th. Really chuffed as it was my debut and I was super nervous all day! The competition is fierce! But the actual racing was totally addictive, I wanted more! Pray for a dry day :) We got super lucky and it was glorious sunshine, I had to wear my shades, you can see how sunny it was in the in car vid.

Full write up, including YT vid of Race 2 in car footage on my blog: (hairy moments at 5:46 and 16:36)
http://www.phillynchracing.com/index.ph ... race-meet/
2006 Z4 ///M Coupe || Schrick CSL Cams | Eventuri | Brembo 6/4 & Pagid RS-29s | KW V3s | H&R ABRs | Stromung | ARC-8s | Corbeau Revolution | OEM Strut | ZHP | Stubby | CDV | RTAB | Evolve Map ||

Fishy Dave

New race car (BMW)

Post by Fishy Dave » Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm

My 1st races in the E30 are tomorrow at Brands on the GP circuit as part of the Toyo Tires Racing Saloons series, useful practice ahead of the two PBMW races on Sunday along with Phil. I'm a bit nervous as it's been a couple of years since I last race and don't know the GP at all well. :cry:
Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

pHilli0

New race car (BMW)

Post by pHilli0 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm My 1st races in the E30 are tomorrow at Brands on the GP circuit as part of the Toyo Tires Racing Saloons series, useful practice ahead of the two PBMW races on Sunday along with Phil. I'm a bit nervous as it's been a couple of years since I last race and don't know the GP at all well. :cry:
It's all the build up. As soon as you are behind the wheel everything will make sense! I was massively nervous for Cadwell, for Brands I am excited with little nerves. What will be will be, and we will be having fun what ever times / positions we get. Being on the grid and actually racing takes so much effort, cash and commitment I am going to enjoy every second.

I'm not doing TTRS as I did the GP track day recently but I'll be at the circuit around 07:00 Sunday for some bacon.

pHilli0

New race car (BMW)

Post by pHilli0 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 1:34 pm My 1st races in the E30 are tomorrow at Brands on the GP circuit as part of the Toyo Tires Racing Saloons series, useful practice ahead of the two PBMW races on Sunday along with Phil. I'm a bit nervous as it's been a couple of years since I last race and don't know the GP at all well. :cry:
Oh and good luck !!!

Fishy Dave

New race car (BMW)

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 pm

It's taken a few days to catch up and recover from the weekend.

Saturday: The car scrutineered with no problems and I took part in the TTRS qualifying session hoping for some dry running to help me remember which way the GP circuit went and also get used to the car in the dry. No luck, it started spitting almost from the start of the session, getting heavier towards the end with many cars diving for the pits after 5 laps, oh well. The time put me 3rd in class but way behind the class leader. I withdrew from the TTRS races to concentrate on the PBMW races the next day.

Sunday: Qualifying went ok although had a few moments getting a wheel on the grass, I qualified 13th out of 26 for both races. I had hoped for better but with no real testing it wasn't too bad. Phil from these parts got a better time and would start from 10th in race 1 and 11th in race 2. After qualifying many of the cars were checked for various things like open diff, weight, airbox parts and later washers on the rear beam. This caught a couple out with disqualifications. My car was a bit too heavy, actually maybe that's me, so I took out the lead ballast and re-weighed the car on the scales, much better although Garys flat floor set up was now ruined! :oops:
I had a reasonable start and made up a couple of places. Phil was just behind me on the second lap and had a good run out of Graham Hill Bend, I saw him approaching and kept the door open to tuck in behind. After we both passed another car Phil was pulling away until a mistake at Druids on lap 4 got me close behind again. A good exit from Graham Hill Bend and I planned to return the favour into Surtees making a pass up the inside.
What came next was a surprise to both of us with side to side contact and our wheels clashing. It spun Phil to the outside requiring a trip to the pits to check his car was ok before continuing, whilst I took to the grass certain the damage would be terminal such was the bang. I continued but could feel the car had changed with an increasing vibration, off centre steering wheel and different handling. As you can see from the video it loosened the camera mount. I finished 16th, Phil in 20th.
After the race we shook hands as I certain there was no malice intended. It's my first ever accident on track and of all the people I wouldn't have wanted to hit it was Phil. Not sure if you've had time since to work out what happened from you point of view Phil? :)
We were both quite surprised at the lack of visible damage to bodywork, with small scrapes/dents only. The force was taken by the wheels, with my front rim edge damaged and the rear wheel buckled, probably beyond repair. More serious was how loose the whole rear hub assembly was (discovered by TomK who kindly came down to watch and help), replacing the bearing at the track was not possible so we torqued up the nut and hoped for the best. Lowering the car off the jack we could see a problem when the damper wouldn't compress as expected. One of Gary Feakins mechanics kindly took a look and couldn't get the damper to move at all, so we suspect a bent shaft. To help reduce understeer I softened the front dampers, their didn't seem any point adjusting the rears now! Did the guys find any other damage to your car Phil?

All this took time and it was hot work under the sun, I skipped lunch and was soon being called to assemble for the second race. I went through a range of emotions including sadness, disbelief, frustration then resignation, especially when I thought the damage might stop me taking part in the 2nd race.
My head wasn't quite in the right place, I made a poor start and was intimidated out of the way on more than one occasion, especially witnessing one or two antics ahead. I found myself last at one stage, finally finishing 15th (3rd from last), an embarrassing performance. Despite the slightly wonky handling I improved my lap time (as did everyone else) due to getting to know the track that bit better. Phil had a storming result, finishing 8th, I never saw him after the start! :thumbsup:

What I learned from the weekend, also known as racing excuses!
1. One make racing is very different from what I have done in the past. It is close and some of the experienced drivers are 'assertive' in their car positioning.
2. Testing and coaching makes a world of difference, it allows you to be on the pace quickly and also get your set up right from the beginning. Sadly time and money are against me on this, I have to use qualifying as testing!
3. I need to lower my expectations of results from this year and accept I have to re-learn how to drive this car.

Next meeting is Silverstone in ten days time! No time to get the damper or bearing sorted, so will have to hope for the best. It's also Toms first ever race in a 45 minute two driver 'Trackday Trophy' race, hoping this experience hasn't put him off?!

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS71g1XJITM

Superb photos from my CSCC photographer are here: http://www.davidstallardphotography.com ... -21-05-17/

Corvette C6
Mazda RX-8 race car

pHilli0

New race car (BMW)

Post by pHilli0 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Fishy Dave wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 pm It's taken a few days to catch up and recover from the weekend.

Saturday: The car scrutineered with no problems and I took part in the TTRS qualifying session hoping for some dry running to help me remember which way the GP circuit went and also get used to the car in the dry. No luck, it started spitting almost from the start of the session, getting heavier towards the end with many cars diving for the pits after 5 laps, oh well. The time put me 3rd in class but way behind the class leader. I withdrew from the TTRS races to concentrate on the PBMW races the next day.

Sunday: Qualifying went ok although had a few moments getting a wheel on the grass, I qualified 13th out of 26 for both races. I had hoped for better but with no real testing it wasn't too bad. Phil from these parts got a better time and would start from 10th in race 1 and 11th in race 2. After qualifying many of the cars were checked for various things like open diff, weight, airbox parts and later washers on the rear beam. This caught a couple out with disqualifications. My car was a bit too heavy, actually maybe that's me, so i took out the lead ballast and re-weighed the car on the scales, much better although Garys flat floor set up was now ruined! :oops:
I had a reasonable start and made up a couple of places. Phil was just behind me on the second lap and had a good run out of Graham Hill Bend, I saw him approaching and kept the door open to tuck in behind. After we both passed another car Phil was pulling away until a mistake at Druids on lap 4 got me close behind again. A good exit from Graham Hill Bend and I planned to return the favour into Surtees making a pass up the inside.
What came next was a surprise to both of us with side to side contact and our wheels clashing. It spun Phil to the outside requiring a trip to the pits to check his car was ok before continuing, whilst I took to the grass certain the damage would be terminal such was the bang. I continued but could feel the car had changed with an increasing vibration, off centre steering wheel and different handling. As you can see from the video it loosened the camera mount. I finished 16th, Phil in 20th.
After the race we shook hands as I certain there was no malice intended. It's my first ever accident on track and of all the people I wouldn't have wanted to hit it was Phil. Not sure if you've had time since to work out what happened from you point of view Phil? :)
We were both quite surprised at the lack of visible damage to bodywork, with small scrapes/dents only. The force was taken by the wheels, with my front rim edge damaged and the rear wheel buckled, probably beyond repair. More serious was how loose the whole rear hub assembly was (discovered by TomK who kindly came down to watch and help), replacing the bearing at the track was not possible so we torqued up the nut and hoped for the best. Lowering the car off the jack we could see a problem when the damper wouldn't compress as expected. One of Gary Feakins mechanics kindly took a look and couldn't get the damper to move at all, so we suspect a bent shaft. To help reduce understeer I softened the front dampers, their didn't seem any point adjusting the rears now! Did the guys find any other damage to your car Phil?

All this took time and it was hot work under the sun, I skipped lunch and was soon being called to assemble for the second race. I went through a range of emotions including sadness, disbelief, frustration then resignation, especially when I thought the damage might stop me taking part in the 2nd race.
My head wasn't quite in the right place, I made a poor start and was intimidated out of the way on more than one occasion, especially witnessing one or two antics ahead. I found myself last at one stage, finally finishing 15th (3rd from last), an embarrassing performance. Despite the slightly wonky handling i improved my lap time (as did everyone else) due to getting to know the track that bit better. Phil had a storming result, finishing 8th, I never saw him after the start! :thumbsup:

What I learned from the weekend, also known as racing excuses!
1. One make racing is very different from what i have done in the past. It is close and some of the experienced drivers are 'assertive' in their car positioning.
2. Testing and coaching makes a world of difference, it allows you to be on the pace quickly and also get your set up right from the beginning. Sadly time and money are against me on this, I will have to use qualifying as testing!
3. I need to lower my expectations of results from this year and accept I have to re-learn how to drive this car.

Next meeting is Silverstone in ten days time! No time to get the damper or bearing sorted, so will have to hope for the best. It's also Toms first ever race in a 45 minute two driver 'Trackday Trophy' race, hoping this experience hasn't put him off?!

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS71g1XJITM

Superb photos from my CSCC photographer are here: http://www.davidstallardphotography.com ... -21-05-17/

Evening. First, I am really sorry there was contact between our cars! :thumbsdown: Looking through your footage I can now see how you moved out to pass me. I am usually pretty vigilant in my mirrors but either your passing angle was just wide enough to be out of sight or I wasn't aware enough of the move. I have virtually zero experience racing with other cars around me, and from your footage I would suspect a better experienced racer would have naturally opened the line to give you a bit more room on the inside. Sadly that corner had been the bane of my day at the previous track day and I had been trying to put the coaching into practice and get it right, following the best line. Coupled with not seeing where you were meant our cars were destined to come together. Gutted. :cry:

The impact felt pretty bad to my inexperienced mind, and my steering wheel went out of my hands as I went into the gravel trap. I was pretty much last so thought nothing to loose to get the car visually checked imagining some panel damage or maybe a bent arch? Gary was a bit surprised when I rocked up and stopped in the pit lane, as there was nothing much to see, he sent me back out. I rejoined the circuit and tried to get a time. Completely failed. My head was messed up, I was rethinking the incident and I was nowhere on pace. In fact I screwed up worse and ended up being reported for speeding in the pit lane! The clerk of the course called me in for a "chat" and I apologised for the second time of the day and promised to be careful in future. I had no idea the speed limit was 60 kph and I have never been in the pits in a race before so gotta be careful in future.

The guys in GFR did check the car out before race 2 and there was nothing that obviously broken. The front wheel has a load of white paint where we touched, and the rear arch is scratched and damaged at one section. I am yet to hear if after a more thorough investigation there are a few bits that need replacing. In race 2 the car felt OK, steering was normal.

So from my review of the day, Sunday scruitineering was no problem. Qualification was a bit frustrating. My times were the same (in the 1.53s) as on the track day with random slow traffic and James Foard in the car. I was hoping for at least one 1.52. I was pretty disponadant wondering where my pace had gone.
Race 1, the car setup didn't feel right. I had understeer through druids, and clearways. I think that contributed to the mistake I made in druids allowing you to catch up prior to our contact. Looking at your vid my car looks to be leaning more than I would have expected.
So before race 2 I asked GFR to make some changes to the dampers, after some chatting, we agreed to harden up the rears a fair bit and 1 click harder on the front. This made a massive difference to race 2, and suddenly the front end was back, and I had the confidence to push. The first thing I was aware of was Ian Sheppard's car was gushing fuel at every left hander! It kept happening and he laid down a trail on surtees which I lost traction on and I had to correct. I was thinking not the same corner in both races please FFS. After two laps, the marshalls had cottended on and he was called in for spilling fluids. Sadly his race was over.
After a few laps I somehow had enough pace to catch the train of front runners and ended up running 9th at the back of the pack. I had a few cautious tustles and tried to get up to 8th but couldn't make it stick, no way was I going to "go for a move" after everything else before. On the last lap Sam Strong had a big moment around westfield and went off track. He slid sideways and I held my breath praying I wasn't about to have a big one as he span back across the circuit. Sam's skill was great and he managed to hold on just enough to keep the car out of the way and we all went past safely. After his mishap I was bumped up to 8th which is where I finished.
I checked my footage of race 2 and as if my some work of the technology devil I have footage of me leaving the holding area, lining up on the grid and poof nothing. Space left on the SD card and I pressed nothing obviously to stop it, but it decided to miss my best race and come back to life recording all of the parc ferme...... :headbang: With everything else that happened I just mark that down to Sod's law. This is the reality of racing, you prep and prep but its all about the dice on the day. Overall I have mixed feelings. I felt like a massive rookie, and that showed in many areas. Plus feeling sad I wasn't able to do more to prevent the contact. Silverstone National for me is go like mad in qually and be really careful in the races to try and have a less eventful meet.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

New race car (BMW)

Post by BMWZ4MC » Thu May 25, 2017 1:07 am

Really interesting to read and watch, it looks like great fun (albeit with an unfortunate racing incident between two Z4-forum teammates!).
I would love to have the time and money to do this. Although, I suspect that single mark racing against experienced drivers would make me realise how much of my trackday hero antics are due to a combination of bravery and having a 100+ bhp more than many of the other cars in my ///M or 500+ fewer kg in my Westfield, rather than any true racing skill :oops:
Keep the updates coming. I'd love to come and watch you guys race when I'm back in the UK this summer :thumbsup:
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

Vanne

New race car (BMW)

Post by Vanne » Thu May 25, 2017 12:50 pm

What a super read, :D thanks for that, looking forwards to your next race, and have book marked your blog :thumbsup: . Looks super fun, and super close. :driving:

Would it be rude to ask what sort of cash you'd have to lay down for the season to compete?

Wish they had something like that here. :|
2007 EuroSpec Z4///MC Building/Developing Z4 GT3