Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z5

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z5

Post by original guvnor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm

The fact that they are JV'ing with Toyota doesn't fill me with confidence at all. What on earth are Toyota going to bring to the party - they've lost their way massively in recent years. If it was Lexus then it might have been a bit more interesting but it isn't. It's Toyota.

Simon20VT

Post by Simon20VT » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm

original guvnor wrote:The fact that they are JV'ing with Toyota doesn't fill me with confidence at all. What on earth are Toyota going to bring to the party - they've lost their way massively in recent years. If it was Lexus then it might have been a bit more interesting but it isn't. It's Toyota.
The GT86 from what I've read.

http://m.leftlanenews.com/next-bmw-z4-t ... roots.html

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Sorry but if the GT86 is the best they've got then I am definitely out.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Quite nice. Looks like a progression of the E89 and a proper M would be amazing
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:54 pm

I think BMW should work on a Z3 replacement and go back to a retro look and keep the Z3 badge, an under the skin modernised Z3 on a 1 Series platform would do it for me that the 4 has never really managed.

Tim.

Simon20VT

Post by Simon20VT » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:06 pm

original guvnor wrote:Sorry but if the GT86 is the best they've got then I am definitely out.
While I'm not keen on the looks of the GT86 and the interior looks like someone's won a shopping cart trip round halfords, it has been praised for its driver appeal, something the Z4 hasn't. Maybe those under pinnings will change that?

gt68

Post by gt68 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 am

I'm calling that as a Z4 photoshopped. http://www.cartype.com/pics/10217/full/ ... _13_06.jpg

Audi A6 3.0 TDI BE + BMW Z4 35is
Melbourne Red 35is

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 am

original guvnor wrote:The fact that they are JV'ing with Toyota doesn't fill me with confidence at all. What on earth are Toyota going to bring to the party - they've lost their way massively in recent years. If it was Lexus then it might have been a bit more interesting but it isn't. It's Toyota.
There was talk of a new Supra from the BMW/Toyota JV based on the 6-series platform.

The bulk of the Supra's cult success came from the engine and it's potential for serious tuning. If they put the N54 engine in there it will be an instant success! People already pushing then engine to 700+.

The Badger

Post by The Badger » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:59 am

I think it looks spectacular - but don't know "jack" about the oily bits or the link with Toyota ? Sorry

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:30 am

original guvnor wrote:Sorry but if the GT86 is the best they've got then I am definitely out.
Whilst it's not the most powerful the GT86 has consistently been praised as a fantastic driver's car. If Toyota can inject that magic, and BMW handle the engine then I could see it being an exciting partnership.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

Dangerous-Dave

Post by Dangerous-Dave » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:02 am

I was getting all excited until I saw that.

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:50 am

The GT86 from what I can tell, has only been lauded as a great drivers car because they fitted skinny tyres so you can provoke a rear wheel slide. The fact that it has a gutless engine, cheap and nasty interior and a premium price tag doesn't exactly fill me with anticipation at what they can bring to the party. Especially since BMW are hardly strangers to providing rear wheel sliding fun in their cars.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:00 am

original guvnor wrote:The GT86 from what I can tell, has only been lauded as a great drivers car because they fitted skinny tyres so you can provoke a rear wheel slide. The fact that it has a gutless engine, cheap and nasty interior and a premium price tag doesn't exactly fill me with anticipation at what they can bring to the party. Especially since BMW are hardly strangers to providing rear wheel sliding fun in their cars.
Is £27k really a premium price tag?

From what I've read (I haven't driven one), people don't just say it's the sliding about, but that it is controllable as well. The Z4M can slide around with the best of them, but wasn't heralded as a great car when released.

I'm not saying that Toyota are the best option to form a JV with, but I'm certainly not as pessimistic as you.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

CornishRob

Post by CornishRob » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:25 am

StevenH72 wrote:
Whilst it's not the most powerful the GT86 has consistently been praised as a fantastic driver's car. If Toyota can inject that magic, and BMW handle the engine then I could see it being an exciting partnership.
It was praised by all the motoring press, but what do they know really. For me a great fun drivers car needs to be fun to drive, have a bit of a personality and make a nice noise (of some discription - Supercharger, turbo waste gate chatter, high revving NA, deep V8 or whatever) I don't really see the GT86 as many of these, apart from maybe fun, but I might get sick of the gutless engine.

I haven't seen many owners raving about them, and don't see many on the road. Have many actually sold?

I dont really get the partnership to be honest. If it's Toyota with BMW rather than the M department, it's all a bit odd as they are sort of not using their in house department to get the best out of their cars.

I would rather buy a halo BMW M car than a halo BMW Toyota Partnership car to be honest. All seems a bit strange!!
Current: 2007 Titanium Silver Z4MC - For Sale End of Feb
Previous: 2002 Land Rover Defender 90

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:13 am

StevenH72 wrote:
original guvnor wrote:The GT86 from what I can tell, has only been lauded as a great drivers car because they fitted skinny tyres so you can provoke a rear wheel slide. The fact that it has a gutless engine, cheap and nasty interior and a premium price tag doesn't exactly fill me with anticipation at what they can bring to the party. Especially since BMW are hardly strangers to providing rear wheel sliding fun in their cars.
Is £27k really a premium price tag?
I suppose it depends on the individual but when you can buy a Fiesta ST (which will run rings round the Toyota) for about £17k then I think it is.

Just seems an odd brand for BMW to partner with. To me Toyota is a manufacturer in decline, that's lost it's way.