Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Is the Lotus Exige S Roadster the next step with no E89 "M"?

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
ItHurts

Is the Lotus Exige S Roadster the next step with no E89 "M"?

Post by ItHurts » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 am

So,

to avoid getting "moderated" in another thread (http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 91#p823291), I thought I would bring this over here to "Other Marques".

I have been lusting after an Evora for a while, even test drove a couple. And then Lotus announced this: http://www.lotuscars.com/gb/our-cars/cu ... s-roadster

I love the Evora. It's a phenomenally good drive. I just wish it were a soft top.

The Exige S Roadster looks like a great car, and ticks all my boxes... except price.

Don't get me wrong, love my MR. Four years is the longest I've stuck with a car.

In a couple of years, Captain Depreciation and his Merry Band of Affordability will make this £60K car (with options) the right price to make the swap.

Any thoughts?
Be good... and if you can't be good... be good at it

Black Z4MR. The rest is just detail...

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Is the Lotus Exige S Roadster the next step with no E89

Post by StevenH72 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:45 am

The Exige S Roadster will undoubtedly be a great car to drive, but for me it's not a comparison to the ///M. The ///M has a much more refined cabin. It's a (relatively) comfortable place to be, mixing performance and luxury. The Exige S looks very similar to other Lotus interiors and won't be a luxurious place to be.

That said, it's horses for courses. If you want the performance regardless of interior then it won't be an issue and performance wise will be a step up.

Imo, if you are looking to upgrade in a couple of year's time the natural progressions will be 911 cab or F-Type.
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

Simon_P

Post by Simon_P » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:56 am

StevenH72 wrote:The Exige S Roadster will undoubtedly be a great car to drive, but for me it's not a comparison to the ///M. The ///M has a much more refined cabin. It's a (relatively) comfortable place to be, mixing performance and luxury. The Exige S looks very similar to other Lotus interiors and won't be a luxurious place to be.

That said, it's horses for courses. If you want the performance regardless of interior then it won't be an issue and performance wise will be a step up.

Imo, if you are looking to upgrade in a couple of year's time the natural progressions will be 911 cab or F-Type.
The current exige/Elise derivative has a far more luxurious interior of previous generations however its still not an everyday car.

The logical step on from an MR is either the new boxster (the run out spyder) or an Aston Martin vantage, the Evora comes in if you want a coupe along with the new Cayman. I will be looking at an Evora or a Vantage possibly a roadster.
Z4M Roadster - Interlargos/Champagne

ItHurts

Post by ItHurts » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 am

F-Type a good call. Can't get my head around all things Porker.

Test drove a Boxster S before buying the MR. Arguably a better car tbh, but a bit "so what" if that makes sense.

I know the 911 is in a different league, but something about them doesn't "work" for me. That may be seen as heresy by many, I know.

I also test drove an Elise SC before parting with my cash for the MR, so am fully prepared for the interior/ refinement.

I guess I bought the MR for the engine above all. The fizzy four pot didn't work for me in the Elise (and I already had a JCW MCS sat in the garage, which whilst nowhere near the Elise for grip and chassis gives me all the screaming revs I desire for now).

The Evora offers Z4 E85 era levels of cabin imo. As in my OP though, not sure I can go without roofless motoring.

Notwithstanding the above, the Exige SR looks like a helluva drivers car. I'd go for a test drive, but don't want to torture myself.

Still adore my MR, and it still puts a nice big "s**t eating" grin on my face.

Zeld4

Post by Zeld4 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 am

I have been lusting over the Exige S too. It looks like a racing car and is probably as fast as a super car.And I love that Targa roof.

I can't think of any car that would be more perfect as a second car, or worse as an only car.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

ItHurts wrote:F-Type a good call. Can't get my head around all things Porker.

Test drove a Boxster S before buying the MR. Arguably a better car tbh, but a bit "so what" if that makes sense.

I know the 911 is in a different league, but something about them doesn't "work" for me. That may be seen as heresy by many, I know.

I also test drove an Elise SC before parting with my cash for the MR, so am fully prepared for the interior/ refinement.

I guess I bought the MR for the engine above all. The fizzy four pot didn't work for me in the Elise (and I already had a JCW MCS sat in the garage, which whilst nowhere near the Elise for grip and chassis gives me all the screaming revs I desire for now).

The Evora offers Z4 E85 era levels of cabin imo. As in my OP though, not sure I can go without roofless motoring.

Notwithstanding the above, the Exige SR looks like a helluva drivers car. I'd go for a test drive, but don't want to torture myself.

You could just hold off to see if Lotus develop an Evora Roadster :wink:
'07 ///M Coupé ¦ Carbon Black ¦ Black Nappa Interior ¦ Piano Black trim ¦ 224's ¦ Stubby ¦ ZHP ¦ Prof Nav ¦ Loudspeaker HiFi ¦ BT ¦ Aux ¦ 6CD ¦ Cruise ¦ Heated Seats ¦ Folding Mirrors ¦ PDC ¦ Autodim ¦

Simon_P

Post by Simon_P » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:31 am

StevenH72 wrote:
ItHurts wrote:F-Type a good call. Can't get my head around all things Porker.

You could just hold off to see if Lotus develop an Evora Roadster :wink:
Be a long wait as there are no plans for one.

Ben Cole

Post by Ben Cole » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Exige roadster is not in the same category as the Z4. Not the old one and certainly not the new one.

If you want a change then try an Elise now.

My pal who has just sold his Z4MR bought a TTRS after thinking about Porkers.

StevenH72
Lifer
Lifer

Post by StevenH72 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Ben Cole wrote:Exige roadster is not in the same category as the Z4. Not the old one and certainly not the new one.

I'm a bit confused by this. OP says he wants a natural progression. Why have you recommended an Elise over an Exige S Roadster?

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Ben Cole wrote:Exige roadster is not in the same category as the Z4. Not the old one and certainly not the new one.

:rofl: :rofl:

Cannot comment on a e89 but been in a few and its very much a Grand tourer ... but having owned a 4 z4's ( 2 x e85 3.0 roadsters and 1 x coupe si and a Z4MC) your view is very much wrong. Having experience in both camps is the only way to answer this question honestly....

The Exige (new and old)) are racing thoroughbred stallions and your trying to compare it with an everyday horse... completely different cars and a pointless comparison.

There is no way in gods green earth a Z4 is a better fast road/ track car than a Exige (as they leave the factory) ... but in the same hand the Exige is no way a better luxury motor which is suitable for a Waitrose shop.... depends what the OP wants .. my mandate was a weekend car so part of the enjoyment is scrambling in and out of it!!! And only do 4000 miles a year in it, for many there Z4 is an everyday car and therefore a more sensible alternative. Everyday an Exige may become tiresome in comparison scrambling in and out and no where really to put your shopping.

Out of all the cars I have owned 911’S, Z4MC, Cayman, Z4’s, 350z, Etc etc etc... I can honestly say it’s the car I enjoy most and have never had so many complements and feels really special and the drive is just amazing.

I also believe the E85 3.0 or E86 SI are one of the best cars ever made! and you would not find a better car between £4000-£8000 pounds...and at £15,000 I feel the Z4MC is an amazing choice and doubt there is much better out there ... but at the £20-£30,000 mark am not sure any Z4 has a place at the table as the budget increases other alternatives become available for consideration

But this is IMO so can only talk form my own ownership experiences.

Simon_P

Post by Simon_P » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Hmm... think you are a bit confused on your Lotus variants there. Exige roadster is the new model along with Exige coupe, Exige coupe is the previous model which with a fitting kit would allow for the roof to be removed. Whilst some would argue not an every day car as a driving tool a Z4 isn't even in the same playing field.

TTRS is a fast car, serious fast when remapped but otherwise would not touch the others, very boring clinical machine.

ItHurts

Post by ItHurts » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:56 pm

I'll put this in perspective:

I am fortunate enough that the MR is my "fun" car. I have a 3 litre 3 series smoker as a company car and persuaded SWMBO that she really wanted another MINI and that this one should be a JCW MCS. In just over four years of ownership I've done 24,000 miles.

I have, and still do, really enjoy(ed) my MR.

I am a long standing fans of all things Hethel, so maybe I have an itch to scratch here.

Whilst I appreciate that the ///M is a much more cosseted place to be, I can't help feeling that the Exige SR is a logical next step as a "fun" car, albeit a much more focused one :)

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 pm

Boom! .... that's simple Ithurts

Get the Racing thoroughbred! :D

Your in the same boat as myself , I have my Mini SD JCW as my work horse and we have the RRV as a family wagon. My Exige is for pure indulgence and it makes for a prefect fit! its exactly what I required.... Fun, great to drive, makes nice noises, turns heads once that's all done put back in the garage until the next sunny day... am itching for a new shape Exige but £50k is a bit much for myself currently

A 911 will feel to much like your M , and your ask yourself why did I get ride of the M and spend twice as much ... wondering if your m96 engine is going to blow up today 997.1 issue as well..... a Cayman is a better car ... but your wish you had a 911 strange concept I know....

The Evora is a stunning car and I really fancy one myself!.... not sure if I could have it over a Vantage?... running cost maybe more favorable than the AM but would really need to try both.... i think I would dip towards the AM mainly as I have never had one and it would be good to tick that box... does not mean its a better car mind you :roll:

ZermattV
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ZermattV » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:23 pm

reading this with some interest as the M is a weekend only car doing 4k a year - when i was looking around 3-4 years ago i looked at VX-220s and Caterhams - did nt go ahead as being based in the North of Scotland the drive to regional meets is pretty long so the thought of doing it in a 7 or elise did not appeal to much. loved the idea of Lotus and Caterhams for a long time . Tend to agree that the 911 would be a lot more money with little performance gain unless its GT3/turbo - also up here in the Aberdeen area there are a lot of them kicking around.

If the M is not a keeper an Exige Roadster S is on the radar.
Last edited by ZermattV on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Awaiting an Alpine A110
2016 M-Sport Fiesta ST

- Previously - 997 Targa - Z4M 2006 - Z4 3.0 Roadster - MX-5 1.8 Phoenix

Paza3

Post by Paza3 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Its interesting point re-long drives ZermattV as in July I did a weekend hoon over the dales/lakes etc it was over 2 days and an evening and I covered 987 miles door to door and I must say there was plenty of luggage space for a weekend bag and it was a very easy drive (3 hour traffic jam on the way up was less fun) , I plodded along at 75ish on the motorway and got 40+ mpg which is always nice... maybe 20's when hooning

Am off to the Nurburgring in November for another long weekend and am sure I have enough space for all my bits and bobs... I think there really quite an easy cruiser..... very glad I have not de-catted my Exige as my Friends is way to loud and I could not deal with it on a long drive... I have a TRD airbox and a S/S Backbox and its just right amount of pops/bangs/sound without being a pain.... I can imagine the V6 is wonderful tone... mines only a little 4 pot :)