Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Just bought my first track day car...

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Worcester_spoon

Post by Worcester_spoon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:40 pm

... a 1997 1.8 MX5 mk1, 67k on the clock, totally standard (and rust free!).

First time I've entered the track car arena - any advice greatly appreciated (what's a no brainier to upgrade, what's not worth the time/money, any suggestions of great twisty circuits that'll suit the mx5)?

I'm thinking brakes. stiffer ride and a roll bar are obvious places to start - really don't want to spend much on it, but it seems like mx5 parts are cheap, so hope to make something fun and engaging for a few hundred quid (the car cost me just over £1k),
03 Z4R 3.0i/Silver/custom quad/330d brake upgrade/LSD/G-Power supercharger/FIC 365cc injectors/Severn Tuning map

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 pm

NICE!

Any of the bits stripping out worth anything? Think you're on the money for starting point.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markplant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Worcester_spoon wrote:... a 1997 1.8 MX5 mk1, 67k on the clock, totally standard (and rust free!).

First time I've entered the track car arena - any advice greatly appreciated (what's a no brainier to upgrade, what's not worth the time/money, any suggestions of great twisty circuits that'll suit the mx5)?

I'm thinking brakes. stiffer ride and a roll bar are obvious places to start - really don't want to spend much on it, but it seems like mx5 parts are cheap, so hope to make something fun and engaging for a few hundred quid (the car cost me just over £1k),
Try contacting Stevie w with the v10, he's done a few track focused mx5s iirc, I know he's had some health issues of late but I'm sure he'll help with advice if he can , a proper nice guy
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Shared an atom mk1 with 2 friends a while back and thought it would be cheap fun. It wasn't. You will NEVER stick to your budget if u set one and have no prior experience in the trackday scene, i guarantee it!
But sayin that, it's not impossible.

Your biggest expense is gonna be insurance. We heard many tales of woe from petrolheads at the nurburgring which was our main hangout over the trackday season. One poor unfortunate is going to have to sell his house for the massive costs he incurred while rolling his trackday special there; not to cover the cost of his mashed car but the associated costs of track closure due to fire- you compensate for their lost revenue every minute the track is shut down. You'll also shell out for the recovery truck if needed, the cost of any damage to the armco- €100/metre if memory serves, plus any cleanup costs and track inspection costs. Then if you drove down in ur backroad bruiser you'll need a way to dispose of the mangled mess and get yourself home.
I'm not even gonna go into what happens if you smack into someone's Gumpert Apollo at flugplatz.
All in all, not a cheap prospect should things go wrong.
You'll go through fuel and tyres at an eyewatering rate. Next brake pads and discs, then clutch.
Budget for that lot after initial cost of a prepared car.
Don't want to put you off ofc, but there's no such thing as cheap trackday fun, esp if things go tits up.
Good luck!
:evil:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.