Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AMG badge snobbery..

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Re: AMG badge snobbery..

Post by original guvnor » Fri May 29, 2015 10:59 pm

You know those turbo M cars....they ain't real M"s at all! :rofl: :D

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:14 pm

original guvnor wrote:You know those turbo M cars....they ain't real M"s at all! :rofl: :D
You can shut the F**K up an' all....what do you know.. :wink: :lol:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

original guvnor
Lifer
Lifer

Post by original guvnor » Fri May 29, 2015 11:31 pm

john-e89 wrote:
original guvnor wrote:You know those turbo M cars....they ain't real M"s at all! :rofl: :D
You can shut the F**K up an' all....what do you know.. :wink: :lol:
:D :thumbsup:

-Tom-

Post by -Tom- » Sat May 30, 2015 1:11 am

I love those tiny little vans that have BMW kidney grilles on the front. I thought the first one I saw was a one off special person doing it, but I've seen more since :worshipbmw: :trampoline:
-Z4 M Coupe, Silver Grey, Imola Red Nappa, carbon leather, CSLs, SuperSprint Race, Track Mode Enabled
-Tesla M3 LR

Previous - 3.0 si sport roadster, Silver Grey with Oregon Pearl Grey leather, Piano black, EIbach Pro, Stubby

Maniac
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Maniac » Sat May 30, 2015 6:46 am

Yorkie Z wrote:I think it's more important to worry about the real problems in life, like posting in the wrong section.!! :wink: :rofl:
I think you should have posted that in the forum feedback section ;)

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Sat May 30, 2015 7:55 am

At least you know people are following your posts :wink:

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sat May 30, 2015 9:15 am

For some people it is due to maybe an aspiration, for others it because they don't want people to know they bought a run of the mill car and they think they are better than that. A guy who parks where I stay has a ///M3 badge on his 318i. Worst thing is he's made no attempt to make it look in any way like a M3 but people who know nothing genuinely believe him that it is what it says it is! And the badge is in the wrong place, too low and it's also slightly angled.

Not sure why people actually want to waste their money on putting these badges on. Dealers will supply and fit a full size ///M badge, however if you've also got the model designation on it they can't quite fit them properly and then not only do you have a badge you shouldn't have, but it's also on the squew :rofl:

It now has a new number plate that actually looks like it spells sh!t
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

LostBoy_84

Post by LostBoy_84 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:55 am

Personally its a pet hate of mine, think it started in the hot hatch days with people sticking GTi badges on 1.0l models.
Fair enough if the car comes out of the factory with them on as many marques do these days, but there are also a lot of delusional people out there who try to give you all the bullshit that their car is 'that' model when they've just stuck a badge on.
Gone but not forgotten
2007 Z4///M Coupé | Silver Grey | Imola Nappa Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Nav | Cruise | PDC | Heated Seats | CSL's | H&R's

Current
2009 Ibis White Audi R8 V10 | 6-speed Manual | Lots of Carbon

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Sat May 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I've just ordered a Turbo badge for mine. £9.99 well spent in my mind !

99ron

Post by 99ron » Sat May 30, 2015 1:34 pm

There's a halarious Vectra near me that has a 1000hp badge one side of the boot lid and "Turdo" on the other. Yep that is how it's spelt. If you are gonna stick badges on then that's the way to do it!
Z4MR E85 for sunny day Hooning. 8)
Now with added joy of Gruppe M.

Confused®

Post by Confused® » Sat May 30, 2015 5:56 pm

Wonder if i can get some eye lash thingies for my head lights ? would look good over angel eyes. :driving:

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:28 pm

Years ago, before eBay or wherever you can buy badges from you had to go to BMW.
If your reg or VIN wasn't a proper 'M Car' then they wouldn't sell you the badge.

I remember my Dad being turned away from Barons because his measly 325i M Sport shouldn't display an M badge. :lol:
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

99ron

Post by 99ron » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Wyldie85 wrote:Years ago, before eBay or wherever you can buy badges from you had to go to BMW.
If your reg or VIN wasn't a proper 'M Car' then they wouldn't sell you the badge.

I remember my Dad being turned away from Barons because his measly 325i M Sport shouldn't display an M badge. :lol:
I saw a very new looking 15 plate 3 series today - single Pipe big M badge on the bootlid so maybe they can come out the dealers now like that - I think today no one cares and the dealer probably charged some indecent money for it.
I have heard someone recently say they have "an AMG" when it was burning the devils fuel. I think sticking AMG on a diesel 4 pot devalues the brand personally but each to their own. Good luck to them if it makes them happy.
I know what I've got and I love it. You can't fake the driving experience.
Z4MR E85 for sunny day Hooning. 8)
Now with added joy of Gruppe M.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:26 pm

99ron wrote:
Wyldie85 wrote:Years ago, before eBay or wherever you can buy badges from you had to go to BMW.

I saw a very new looking 15 plate 3 series today - single Pipe big M badge on the bootlid so maybe they can come out the dealers now like that - I think today no one cares and the dealer probably charged some indecent money for it.
I have heard someone recently say they have "an AMG" when it was burning the devils fuel. I think sticking AMG on a diesel 4 pot devalues the brand personally but each to their own. Good luck to them if it makes them happy.
I know what I've got and I love it. You can't fake the driving experience.
At least MB have come up with those bizarre shaped bumper outlets that make it quite difficult to spot a single or twin outlet model , this does spare the owners blushes if he's bought base engine as opposed to the BMW offering of a woefully looking single chrome end that looks like a token gesture that would be best tucked away imo
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:08 pm

That's a LONG time ago now. BMW dealerships have been supplying and fitting, albeit badly ///M Badges on cars prior to customer pick up. Mikes mate has a 320d M Sport and Eastern BMW supplied and fitted, again very badly prior to pick up a ///M badge. I've even seen cars with ///M318i must be a new version of the ///M135i and then ///M235i

Our friend who now owns his own garage for High Performance cars used to be a Dealer Principle for a BMW Dealership in the north east and he had people asking him to fit ///M badges to 5 series etc and he said he would try and talk them out of it and have the whole it's not a ///M car chat but it never worked
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring