Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof cleaned with patio washer

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
petach

Post by petach » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:55 pm

When I picked up my car last month, the canvas roof was pretty dirty. It had marks from a previous attempt to clean it such as sponge marks and green algae.

I tried a regular roof cleaner, and despite the jars of elbow grease I didn't make much impact.

I had a sudden idea whilst I was cleaning the winter detritus from my patio with the Karcher. I was using the round patio cleaner which spins 2 nozzles in a round plastic housing. It was a risk but I wondered what would happen if I used it on the roof.

It worked a treat, the roof is now pretty immaculate. Al green algae gone and what looked like lichen spots also gone. The filth that came out of the roof was unbelievable. Took all of a couple of minutes. Very pleased and no leakage into the car at all.
Live FAST.....die when you can fit it into your busy schedule!

derin100

Post by derin100 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Great tip!

Did you use it with just water or any other cleaner along with the patio brush?
E85 3.0Si Silver on Black (Gone and will be missed)
E85 M Roadster Silver Grey on Black
E85 Alpina Roadster S Toledo Blue on Black

petach

Post by petach » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:09 pm

derin100 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:39 pm Great tip!

Did you use it with just water or any other cleaner along with the patio brush?
Just plain old water.

mj2k

Post by mj2k » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Christ on a bike, you're brave!!
2016 F82 M4 Comp Pack, Mineral White
2016 F56 JCW - GONE
2007 ZMR, Titanium Silver for sunny days
2012 N18 JCW - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE
2013 520d F10 - GONE
2007 3.0si Z4C, Stratus Grey, Amarone Leather - GONE

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 pm

I have one of those (Karcher patio cleaner attachment), and I'd be terrified of putting that whirling dervish anywhere near the soft top - but desperate times call for desperate measures, so good on you for giving it a go and getting a positive result.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

bz4kev

Post by bz4kev » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:17 am

:!: wtf I would not try this cleaned my patio umbrella last year with my karcher ripped a big ass section out also clean my decking with that attachment and if left in one spot too long starts to tear the wood god knows what it would do to the SOFT TOP would love to see someone record this being done before I even contemplated this myself :o
2004 z4 30i auto Toledo blue stubby Areo front back sideskirts and rear spoiler M/// MFSW DLV exhaust mod mma tips vanos overhaul 108s refurbed ram air scoop E46 M3 heated seats clear rear lights M/// sport black grills

petach

Post by petach » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 am

One thing I did ensure was to not let it remain in one spot. It was continually on the move back and forth in a straight line. Make sure you are on a step ladder or chair to make sure you can hold the thing upright. Took about a minute for the whole roof.

Caveat: It worked for me, don't know if it would work for everyone.

Obviously if you worry, then don't do it. Maybe I don't have the imagination to see possible consequences. But throughout my life I have wee'd in the face of consequences.

petach

Post by petach » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 am

bz4kev wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:17 am :!: wtf I would not try this cleaned my patio umbrella last year with my karcher ripped a big ass section out also clean my decking with that attachment and if left in one spot too long starts to tear the wood god knows what it would do to the SOFT TOP would love to see someone record this being done before I even contemplated this myself :o
lawkes a lummy....would never have tried it on a patio umbrella, much too thin a material. I did practise mine first on my wife as she is thick skinned :D

toolmanchris

Post by toolmanchris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:36 am

[/quote] lawkes a lummy....would never have tried it on a patio umbrella, much too thin a material. I did practise mine first on my wife as she is thick skinned :D
[/quote] :rofl:
Reliant Scimitar GTE in Bold yellow (under restoration) http://www.toolmanweb.com

toolmanchris

Post by toolmanchris » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:04 am

I've been reading up on cleaning the roof (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 15129&i=20) as mine has some circular brown marks on it that look like lichen. Tried the Autoglym cleaner and a nail brush but cant shift them. Found that someone has found this stuff to work so I will give it a go - http://www.ecoverdirect.com/products/li ... elime500ml

Has a look at the ingredients and cant see any bleach :wink:
Reliant Scimitar GTE in Bold yellow (under restoration) http://www.toolmanweb.com

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:24 am

Jet wash is like anything. There are degrees of use. Get tooo close or too powerful and it'll destroy the roof. Not just the outer 'canvas', but inner butyl waterproof layer.
However for some desperate measures, etc.
I'll keep the patio attachment for patios as the way it rips dirt out on mine is just too scary for a car roof
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

markeg
Lifer
Lifer

Post by markeg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:52 pm

My karcher patio cleaner stripped chunks out of my tarmac.... it's not going anywhere near the car roof. :cry:
previous: Alpina Roadster S, #108: gone
current: MB C-class
"veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around..."