Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DA polisher the next move?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
louie12

Post by louie12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:04 am

Since owing my Zed I've begun obsessing (unhealthy so according to my better half!) about cleaning and polishing it. Previously I'd wash a car just to remind me what colour it was. Mine's Monaco Blue, and whilst I've got the gloss pretty deep now (used AG shampoo/conditioner, AG Paint restorer, Farecla clay mitt with AG Rapid Detailer, Poorboys polish with carnauba and Mer MASFW5 Deep Gloss Finishing Wax 500ml), I can still see swirls in direct sunlight.

So, is it realistically possible to get rid of these swirls and if so is a mechanical approach the next step? I know little or nothing about what would be best to buy and must admit would be a bit nervous taking a glorified sander to the car. Best left to the professionals?

Any advice gratefully received (other than "get out more"? :( )
Z4MR silver grey with lots of bits. Now stubby and proud.
Gone: 2007 4 pot Sport. Monaco Blue, cream leather. Whippy and proud.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:10 am

Hi Louie, the swirls can be polished out to give a clear, mirror like shine. It will be a lot safer to use a DA as opposed to a rotary polisher, also bmw clear coat is very tough and instead of foam pads you will get more "cut" with the microfiber ones.
Look on detailing world if you want to get carried away....
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ruffedlemurz4

Post by ruffedlemurz4 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:30 am

I have no advice I'm afraid as I am just a newbie to this too. I just wanted to sympathise with your obsession. I was a clean occasionally person before the zed. Now I have a garage full of products. All my other previous hobbies are neglected. Yesterday. I spent 4 hours polishing it and more time popping outside to recheck my results. I don't think I will get a da as I know my limits but I do love a gadget and accessories and 6 months ago I had no idea alloys could be waxed.......
2013 E89 2.0 msport in space grey
Comfort pack with cruise, storage, lighting, wind deflector, heated seats, stubby.

louie12

Post by louie12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 am

ruffedlemurz4 wrote:I have no advice I'm afraid as I am just a newbie to this too. I just wanted to sympathise with your obsession. I was a clean occasionally person before the zed. Now I have a garage full of products. All my other previous hobbies are neglected. Yesterday. I spent 4 hours polishing it and more time popping outside to recheck my results. I don't think I will get a da as I know my limits but I do love a gadget and accessories and 6 months ago I had no idea alloys could be waxed.......
Thanks for that - it's good to know I'm not alone. I was considering therapy and counselling. 4 hours polishing is commendable. I feel really inadequate now. Think I'm going to throw a sicky now today and make up for my poor efforts. Alloys can be waxed? Oh my days another thing to add to the list. :|

louie12

Post by louie12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:15 am

Smartbear wrote:Hi Louie, the swirls can be polished out to give a clear, mirror like shine. It will be a lot safer to use a DA as opposed to a rotary polisher, also bmw clear coat is very tough and instead of foam pads you will get more "cut" with the microfiber ones.
Look on detailing world if you want to get carried away....
Rob
Cheers for that. Is using a DA relatively straightforward? I'm enthusiastic but not the most adept at "DIY" so I'd be a bit wary. I'll check out some detailing sites and see if it's for me or not.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:41 am

There's plenty of guides on utube for DA's, if I can use one as a beginner they can't be that hard :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:09 am

Argos does a good DA polisher for about £55, seems easy to use and is about half the price of most of the other ones available

ruffedlemurz4

Post by ruffedlemurz4 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:36 am

louie12 wrote: Alloys can be waxed? Oh my days another thing to add to the list. :|
Autofinesse mint rims for wheels or I read their tough coat product can be used on wheels as well as paint

My list gets longer the more time I spend on here...... :D
2013 E89 2.0 msport in space grey
Comfort pack with cruise, storage, lighting, wind deflector, heated seats, stubby.