Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sealant, wax or both?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:59 pm

Here's the result of a polish and sealant (both AG)

3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:02 pm

And another one

Didn't wax on top of sealant but I think the results are good nonetheless.
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:

GAZA62
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by GAZA62 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:10 pm

As said above sealant then wax after washing and claying i use AG SRP followed by EGP then Vic Concours wax all by hand and get a decent result on a Silver car

I like the warm glossy wet look the wax gives

T.SILVER 2004 3.0SE AUTO

IF IT WAS NOT FOR BAD LUCK I'D HAVE NO LUCK AT ALL

Zero4

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Zero4 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:41 am

Sealant first then wax for sure. If your looking for s great wax but with longevity look at Collonite insulator wax. It's has a great wet look on lighter colours like silver and lasts a very long time, way way longer than most waxes

Wildfire

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Wildfire » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:49 pm

Sealant and then wax. I used Jetseal and then Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax, which is frankly brilliant value for money. Car lives outside, was washed, sealed and waxed over a month ago and is still beading water. Combined with Gtechniq glass stuff, it looks great. I'll top up with Quick detailer.
2007 3.0si Coupe, LED interior lights, Stubby, ZHP, AC Schnitzers, 15mm spacers on the rear. 1993 Modified Pre-Cat TVR Griffith, Ducati Monster 821, MV Agusta F3 675

Zero4

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Zero4 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:54 pm

Before even thinking sealant and wax I'd suggest inspecting the paint and if it could do with a machine correction I'd recommend doing it or paying to get it done. The shine is only surface and temporary regardless of what wax you use. pour some water on the paint and it will look great till it drains away.

Mine is due a cut as not sone it this year so have a few days next week to fully winter prep the car.

Last years 2 day effort...

snow foam / citrus wash / 2 bucket / clay / snow foam / rinse / dry / DA with Menz intensive / DA with Menz final finish / Collonite #845 / Chem guys XXX wax.

Look a that arch gap haha this was pre H&R

Rally

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Rally » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:58 pm

RLFILMSCO wrote:Before even thinking sealant and wax I'd suggest inspecting the paint and if it could do with a machine correction I'd recommend doing it or paying to get it done. The shine is only surface and temporary regardless of what wax you use. pour some water on the paint and it will look great till it drains away.

Mine is due a cut as not sone it this year so have a few days next week to fully winter prep the car.

snow foam / citrus wash / 2 bucket / clay / snow foam / rinse / dry / DA with Menz intensive / DA with Menz final finish / Collonite #845 / Chem guys XXX wax.

Damm that looks good :thumbsup:
Imola z4mr, carbon graphite ispiri FFR-6, mpss, gruppem, kw v3, oe strutbrace, aero skirts, schmiedmann carbon splitter, bcs exhaust, dice media, gaptech, F10 zhp & smiles every journey.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by cj10jeeper » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Cracking good finish and completed just before sunset :)
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Msb

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Msb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:56 am

RLFILMSCO wrote:Sealant first then wax for sure. If your looking for s great wax but with longevity look at Collonite insulator wax. It's has a great wet look on lighter colours like silver and lasts a very long time, way way longer than most waxes
Except 845 is technically a sealant not wax :D

Zero4

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Zero4 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:41 am

It's been tweaked since it's early days of electrical cable sealing and definitely a wax. One of the best I've used to date too

dhobbs

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by dhobbs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:13 pm

RLFILMSCO wrote:Before even thinking sealant and wax I'd suggest inspecting the paint and if it could do with a machine correction I'd recommend doing it or paying to get it done. The shine is only surface and temporary regardless of what wax you use. pour some water on the paint and it will look great till it drains away.

That does look good, I'm jealous.

Zero4

Sealant, wax or both?

Post by Zero4 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Over a year later and it still looks great just with a coat of wax. It needs a clay again for sure and in that time it's picked up some very fine swirls, nothing major and can only really be seen in spot light. Prob only need a final finish to sort