Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Snow foam - possible with a Karcher K4?

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Snow foam - possible with a Karcher K4?

Post by paulgs1000 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Just bought a Karcher K4 (don't worry it's not for the Zed). It was bought to clean up the front drive, general cleaning and for the Octavia Hack.

But it dawned on me - can I use it to create snow foam and clean the Zed this way? It has a plug in detergent bottle system. . . . :?

If so what do I need to buy and how is it best to use it and finally, is it worth the hassle of getting the machine set up as a two bucket 'no rinse wash and shine' solution works quickly and effectively for me. Don't really want to snow foam and then still have to wash it as normal - I'm looking for a quick and efficient way to keep the crud down on the Zed during this lousy weather.

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

hopz121
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Snow foam - possible with a Karcher K4?

Post by hopz121 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 pm

You will need a new foam lance as the one that comes with the pressure washer is rubbish.

If you go for one of these with some Autobrite Direct magifoam you will see good results :)

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index. ... ctors.html

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index. ... ifoam.html

Hope this helps

Ash
2004 BMW E46 M3 Coupe - Manual - Silver Grey
2017 BMW F31 318d M-Sport - Auto - Glacier Silver
2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 - Manual - Arctic Silver
2003 Renault Clio 172 Cup - Blue
2003 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i - Gone
2008 BMW E90 330i SE - Gone

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:37 pm

Paul, I use a Karcher k4 with a karcher lance and a bottle I bought from ebay, which works well. I use it with Valet pro snowfoam, does a good job on the z as a pre-wash rinse if you let it sit on it for 10mins aprox. Hope this helps :D
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Adam D

Post by Adam D » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm

The autobrite lance is very good once you get the hang of dillution and the settings, I use it with a K7 and vp citrus pre wash for a runny foam. About 1:7 dillution with warm water and mixture cranked to max foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silver Grey 2007 Z4MR which needs to be driven more :evil: :P :cool: :D :thumbsup:

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:48 pm

craig3.2 wrote:Paul, I use a Karcher k4 with a karcher lance and a bottle I bought from ebay, which works well. I use it with Valet pro snowfoam, does a good job on the z as a pre-wash rinse if you let it sit on it for 10mins aprox. Hope this helps :D
Hi Craig haven't seen you on the forum for a bit ,hows things mate ?
Paul apologies for the :hijacked: :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:47 pm

metal licker wrote:
craig3.2 wrote:Paul, I use a Karcher k4 with a karcher lance and a bottle I bought from ebay, which works well. I use it with Valet pro snowfoam, does a good job on the z as a pre-wash rinse if you let it sit on it for 10mins aprox. Hope this helps :D
No problem, you're right, it's good to hear from you Craig - hope all your house moves and things have gone well.

Looks like I've got a bit of experimenting to do. . . . Does the snow foam really shift the muck and dust or do you need to use a microfiber mitt/cloth to get rid after?

2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:23 am

hopz121 wrote:You will need a new foam lance as the one that comes with the pressure washer is rubbish.

If you go for one of these with some Autobrite Direct magifoam you will see good results :)

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index. ... ctors.html

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index. ... ifoam.html

Hope this helps

Ash

Thanks Ash - just taken a look - seems good value. :thumbsup:

mwadZ4

Post by mwadZ4 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:10 pm

I use a k4, Autobrite lance and Magnifoam with decent enough results. Could sometimes do with the foam being a bit thicker though

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:31 pm

paulgs1000 wrote:
metal licker wrote:
No problem, you're right, it's good to hear from you Craig - hope all your house moves and things have gone well.

Looks like I've got a bit of experimenting to do. . . . Does the snow foam really shift the muck and dust or do you need to use a microfiber mitt/cloth to get rid after?

Snow foam is not really a total replacement for a proper wash with a mitt, but does take the thick of the dirt off especially if you have a good sealant on the paintwork.
If I'm in a hurry I will put a fairly thick snow foam on the car and leave it ten mins then pressure wash off but usually you should treat it more as a pre wash.
I normally snow foam and let it dwell 10 mins or so then rinse off and wash the car with 2bm as you would normally. The snow foam does help shift a lot of the dirt and makes washing quicker and easier.

I use this lance which looks pretty much the same as the autobright one http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-a ... _1296.html
Last edited by adam1985 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

adam1985

Post by adam1985 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm

old post on detailing world but quite useful http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... p?t=303561
57 BMW 3.0si sport Coupe, Carbon Black, Bilstein B12 Suspension, CSL reps & style 339s for winter - Current
10 Skoda Fabia mk2 vRS, Rallye Green, Black Roof, Black Gigaro Alloys - Gone
08 Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic Sport, Red, Dual Sunroof - Gone

domsz4

Post by domsz4 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:19 pm

this should be copied and pasted into a permanently at the top post thanks. i cant ever seem to get it thick enough.
Proud Whip owner ;)

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm

I have the wee Karcher K2 as it came with a snow lance. I find it works better when you hold it at 90 degrees! I must purchase a better lance and some proper snow foam next year!
One Carbon Black Z4 3.0 si Roadster plus one mid-life crisis = Good times ahead!

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:08 am

Paul apologies for the :hijacked: :)[/quote]

Hi Alan, yeah all good mate...just been uber busy with house, work, etc. etc. Can't wait until I get time to chill out and stop having to pack/unpack boxes, and having so many jobs to do (in the house), lol.
Roll on the summer again and hopefully plenty more meets, especially Wales (ala sammyz) and Scottish one too, all going well :D :driving:
Car getting used every other weekend, other than that it now has the advantage of a garage to keep it dry/clean between uses :thumbsup:

How are things with you and yours, mate?? All good I hope...still enjoying your lovely new z?

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:15 am

:driving: :thumbsup:[/quote]

Yeah, Paul...house moves went okay, but still got ALOT of unpacking to do, 2months later, as been very busy with work as well, not to mention all the jobs that need doing in our new house....its never-ending, haha.

As for the snow-foam , as said, purely a pre-wash, but Valetpro Poseiden carwash is a good buy(in larger tubs) as a wash/rinse after the snow-foam, if you just want to give it a quick wash rather than a full-on wash every time. this is good at not stripping sealants/waxes and adds a slight water repellent finish...worth a try :)

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 am

craig3.2 wrote:Hi Craig haven't seen you on the forum for a bit ,hows things mate ?
Hi Alan, yeah all good mate...just been uber busy with house, work, etc. etc. Can't wait until I get time to chill out and stop having to pack/unpack boxes, and having so many jobs to do (in the house), lol.
Roll on the summer again and hopefully plenty more meets, especially Wales (ala sammyz) and Scottish one too, all going well :D :driving:
Car getting used every other weekend, other than that it now has the advantage of a garage to keep it dry/clean between uses :thumbsup:

How are things with you and yours, mate?? All good I hope...still enjoying your lovely new z?[/quote]

Spot on ! Good luck with the new house :thumbsup:
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs