Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 Headrest repair / modification - fabric wear

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
rcleme05

Z4 Headrest repair / modification - fabric wear

Post by rcleme05 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 pm

Update May 2009: I finally found an auto upholstery shop in my area to make a proper repair to my seat backs. We used a died leather with stitched edging that is a near-perfect match to the factory leather. In my opinion it matches the OEM leather for looks and quaility. Cost was $100USD for materials and 90 minutes of labour. I can recommend the shop: "Chatsworth Auto Upholstery X" on Devonshire & Eton in Chatsworth.

Updated photo follows, gallery here: http://gallery.me.com/robertclements#10 ... lack&sel=9

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I noticed that my passenger-side headrest had an ugly friction scar on it from rubbing against the Roll Bar. This was my solution to preventing the damage from getting worse while I look into getting some upholstery repair and/or some leather coverings made for the seat backs.

I’m surprised that BMW did not address this issue themselves.

Two goals here: one, prevent the problem from getting worse. I decided I need a sturdy, small spacer or pad between the seat and rear wall that enforced a gap between the HR and the RB. I looked around a bit and found what I needed at Frys. I amputated to black gel wrist pads from their neoprene mousepads. The gel pads look absolutely OEM grade installed thusly.

In use:

The speakers are partially obscured, perhaps 20%, but the sound is undiminished and perhaps even louder as they now have an air gap to vibrate into rather than being pressed into the seat back.

Part two, patch/fix the HR temporarily while I I look into getting some upholstery repair and/or some leather coverings made for the seat backs. I used some dark grey fabric tape that did the job nicely. :thumbsup:

full details HERE: http://web.me.com/robertclements/Site/Z ... epair.html
Last edited by rcleme05 on Sun May 10, 2009 8:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
---2006 Z4M Roaster, Triple Black, CF interior, cruising the canyons of Southern California

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Z4 Headrest repair / modification - fabric wear

Post by mmm-five » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:36 pm

Could you not just move the seat forward 1-2cm?
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

rcleme05

Post by rcleme05 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:49 pm

For the driver's side,yes. Although I am a large guy and I like the seat all the way back.
It's my passenger seat primarily. I drive my co-workers around frequently and they all play with the seat. One of them instigated this problem without my even knowing it. So this is my Preventive Measure to ensure it won't continue... :)
---2006 Z4M Roaster, Triple Black, CF interior, cruising the canyons of Southern California

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 pm

Once it's fixed, can't you put a warning sticker on the passenger side stating that the passenger seat will automatically fire an explosive charge (shotgun shell should do it) into their nether regions if the seat back touches the roll hoops. That should get them moving it forward quickly enough.
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

sammyz

Post by sammyz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 pm

My driver's seat has the same mark. Was there when I bought it so some big bas~~@d must have driven it when it was a BMW UK car.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Andy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:34 am

ditto.
Imola Z4MR #0026 6 yrs, & 66k so far..