Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Performance Suggestions for 3.0i Roadster?

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
digitaloverload

Performance Suggestions for 3.0i Roadster?

Post by digitaloverload » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me ways to improve the already blistering performance of the 3.0 Z4? i would rather not spend 7k on a supercharger and want to know what additional gains can be achieved for moderately little cost (under 1k per mod)?

I have got a Santa-pod drag race lined up with a tuned 350z and want to make sure my car obliterates it!

Cheers in advance!!!!

AC
Like my dad always said.... Drive it like you stole it!
3.0i Z4 running on 18" 5 spoke with ALL the toys.

Memo

Re: Performance Suggestions for 3.0i Roadster?

Post by Memo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:23 pm

I am not doing to much drag racing since it is not the strongest points of our cars. However, I was faster than a G35 coupe with auto tranny. (Mine is a 3.0i with manual). So When it comes to 350z it has the weight advantage of the G35 and if it is tuned I do not think you have much chances against it.
unfortunately there are not many cheap aftermaket parts for our M54 engine. Please let me know you find anything efficient.

The cheapest mod for drag racing that I can think of is to get a 50 shot nitro.

digitaloverload

Post by digitaloverload » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Cheers, Thats what i thought the case would be, i just needed confirmation.

Oh well, its still an awesome car and even if the 350z is quicker its uglu as **** compaired to the sleek curves of the Z4.

;)

Thanks again.
Like my dad always said.... Drive it like you stole it!
3.0i Z4 running on 18" 5 spoke with ALL the toys.

Memo

Post by Memo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:50 pm

Let us know the out come. I know couple 3.30's that have tried NOS and they were pretty happy about it. Do not try more than a 75hp shot though you may risk the internals...

561design

Post by 561design » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:58 pm

Get the stickiest compound tires you can. Tighten up the suspension so that you get direct transfer of power.
Charles
flickr

iranmeba

Post by iranmeba » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:33 am

get a new diff. I'd recommend a 3.42 or a 3.64. They'll increase the torque going to the wheels by 12 and 18 percent respectively. If you do get a new diff I'd also recommend getting an engine tune (i have the shark injector and love it) in order to optimize the torque curve and get the most out of the diff. Not to mention the higher redline will be rather nice.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:33 am

If it's a temporary need to be quick 0-60 then you could put smaller wheels on. Has exactly the same effect as changing the rear diff. Plenty on Ebay as people upgrade to better.

One reason you often see the smaller engined models on smaller rims, thus avoiding manufacturers having multiple diffs in axles.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:49 am

deflate his tyres

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:30 pm

cj10jeeper wrote:If it's a temporary need to be quick 0-60 then you could put smaller wheels on. Has exactly the same effect as changing the rear diff. Plenty on Ebay as people upgrade to better.

One reason you often see the smaller engined models on smaller rims, thus avoiding manufacturers having multiple diffs in axles.
Problem is, will they fit over the 3.0 brakes as anything under 17 inches will struggle to!
2004-2005: "04" Saph 2.2i; 2007-2010: "05" Tit 3.0i; 2010-2012: "08" Audi TTR;
2012+ "MY13" Audi TTC TFSi S-line Black with 19s and lots of toys

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Post by cj10jeeper » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 pm

DannyBoy wrote:
cj10jeeper wrote:If it's a temporary need to be quick 0-60 then you could put smaller wheels on. Has exactly the same effect as changing the rear diff. Plenty on Ebay as people upgrade to better.

Problem is, will they fit over the 3.0 brakes as anything under 17 inches will struggle to!
Dannyboy the comment was made somewhat tongue in cheek, but if serious I'm sure you could drop from the 18" that most run to 17" or 16" on pre facelift which has smaller rotors and then put lower profile tyres on them. It would look ludicrous and an appalling ride but in theory doable...
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

rob davey

Post by rob davey » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:54 am

cj10jeeper wrote:
DannyBoy wrote:

Dannyboy the comment was made somewhat tongue in cheek, but if serious I'm sure you could drop from the 18" that most run to 17" or 16" on pre facelift which has smaller rotors and then put lower profile tyres on them. It would look ludicrous and an appalling ride but in theory doable...
My mate did this with a fiat uno turbo when we were kids, it topped out at about 90mph but got there darn quickly! :D
BMW Z4 2.0i SE Roadster (2006 / 06) Facelift, titanium silver, black 108s, stubbie, sports wheel & gear knob, leather seats & bum warmers, drivers side FAB, cup holders and aux input