Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Insurance inspiration required

First port of call for new members
Ted75

Post by Ted75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi, looks like everything is dropping into place to take ownership of a 3.0 E85. As noted in my previous introductory posts, I have been on big bikes for the last six+ years, and gave up car ownership over 5 years ago. This means I am no longer entitled to the full no claims I'd earned from 10+ years of accident free driving.

Thus far the usual suspects via Go Compare and Money Supermarket are ranging from £500 - £2,200 for a fully comp policy.

I will be contacting the Institute of Advanced Motorists for a quote (full member for both cars and bikes), and Carole Nash (my current multi-bike policy provider) but I was wondering if anyone had been in a similar position (0 NCB, not necessarily bikes!) and could sugggest some wild cards to try e.g. Adrian Flux, etc.

Cheers! :thumbsup:
2003 silver 3.0i :driving:

Post by sticky » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Quote me happy did the job for me when I came back from working abroad, at the time more than 6 years away meant zero no claims even if I had proof from overseas within EU. This was in 2010

Stuartt

Post by Stuartt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:51 pm

A lot would depend on your age. I use Admiral with a multi car policy in my wife's name for two of the cars with full no claims then when I added the Zed they wouldn't stretch her no claims to all 3 so had to insure in my name on the same policy with having only been a named driver on the other cars I was surprised to get it for £300 but then I was 45 at the time so for once I think my age played to my advantage.

Stuart
2004 3.0i SE Roadster , GONE to a good home :thumbsup:
2010 e89 35i Sdrive M sport. GONE for salvage :cry: but has been reborn

2014 e89 35is M-Sport Design Pure Traction 😈😈😈

Ted75

Post by Ted75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 pm

sticky wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm Quote me happy did the job for me when I came back from working abroad, at the time more than 6 years away meant zero no claims even if I had proof from overseas within EU. This was in 2010

Thanks for suggestion - didn't get past first page:"Sorry, your car is not valid for Quotemehappy.com cover."

I'm 42 :rofl:

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 am

Try classic line, they don't use no claims. Well they didn't when I last used them.

Post by sticky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:08 am

Ted75 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 pm
sticky wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:40 pm Quote me happy did the job for me when I came back from working abroad, at the time more than 6 years away meant zero no claims even if I had proof from overseas within EU. This was in 2010

Thanks for suggestion - didn't get past first page:"Sorry, your car is not valid for Quotemehappy.com cover."

I'm 42 :rofl:

I"m 64 and my car is insured by them again last year and just renewed 2 weeks ago,,,,,, £228 incl no claims protect

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nictrix » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:16 am

I was in this exact situation quite a few years ago where I had no NCBs as I was using a bike.
I phoned around a few insurance companies and explained that I had been without a car for a few years and the NCBs had lapsed, according to their rulings.
I was lucky enough to be granted 1 years NCB to start off with, I am sure it was with Admiral.
The other thing that insurance companies used to do, not sure if they still do, was give you a 9 or 10 month policy that you earned a full years NCB with. I am sure I done this the first time too.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Buckz

Post by Buckz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:32 am

Depends where you live.. the price I pay is 1900/year but I live in London, in a very bad postcode and my driving experience officially is pretty low so I get bent over and gotta take it.

Actually my postcode alone adds around £1k to the premium. I did a random quote at my mates address a mile down the road and it was £897 lol.

Sky-drive

Post by Sky-drive » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:18 am

Similar situation: I had no transferable no-claims discount when I bought my 2.5 Zed. Went fully comprehensive with Tesco Bank for the first years insurance, cost £395. Renewal came through for £410 from Tesco in July so headed online and now with Esure for 2nd year at a very reasonable £230 for a fully comp policy inc. legal expenses.
Xenons | LED S/lights | CF Trim | Royale SW | ZHP | CDV | AUX | DISA | Vanos Refurb | Cruise | MV2s | Roof motor > boot | K&N | Sound Gen | Interior LEDs | E/H seats | Remapped

36valley

Post by 36valley » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:56 am

NFU might be worth a try. My wife has been driving a company car for the last 16 years. She now needs her own policy and NFU have offered her 5 years discount on proof from her company's insurers that she hasn't had any claims against her in that time.

Ted75

Post by Ted75 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 am

Hi All, quick update:

Phoned Carole Nash and got a result. They went to the same underwriter as my multi-bike policy and agreed to apply sufficient discount as per bike NCB, although without awarding me any. So, at renewal in 12 months I hope to then have earned 1 year NCB. If I stay with them, and the bike policy stays clean, they will give me further discount.

Anyway, the underwriter is Aviva.... aka quote me happy!

Just under £450 but includes full European premium breakdown cover, which in itself is about £150, so I am pleased and it has been purchased. Now, to pick up the car :thumbsup:

DPG
Lifer
Lifer

Post by DPG » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Great result Ted. Insurance really is a lottery and half of them make the rules up.

Admiral 'awarded' me 5 years NCB on my Z4M when I ran 2 cars for a few years.

1doohan

Post by 1doohan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:05 am

I used Carol Nash 6 wheeler policy, insure bike and car on one policy when i had 0 NCB on a car.
A year later they sent me my proof of NCB .....9 years each for car and bike.
:D :D
Z4C Sapphire Black 398s Whippy
M4 Competition