Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Long-time Coupe admirer, now looking for one!

First port of call for new members
Matt Scarbro

Post by Matt Scarbro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am

Morning All,

I always like to say hi on a new forum before asking lots of questions, so hi to everyone and apologies in advance if I ask lots of questions - I promise I'll try searching first!

I'm an utter petrolhead, have always loved cars, always liked a variety of cars and just love driving!
I do plenty of trackdays and love that aspect of driving the most, however we have some wonderful roads and I also enjoy a good roadcar, on top of that, it's so nice to have something you can enjoy every time you make a journey!

So what brings me here? My partner is coming back to the UK at the end of the week and so we need two cars again. Previously our nice car was a 435d that we leased on an exceptional deal, however we are saving for a house move mid-next year so would rather buy something of lesser value outright.

We have a Clio 200 that does the hot hatch thing, has 4 seats and a tailgate, so I can use that for carrying wheels, tyres and other large objects around.

So that means a sportscar or small coupe is a real option. I had an S2000 a number of years ago and whilst it was an excellent driver's car, I thought it was a very poor roadcar.

A good friend of mine has just sold his 350z, which he said was hands down the best car he has owned (he has owned some good stuff), so that is/was on the shortlist.

But then I've always had a bit of a thing for the rear end of the Z4 Coupe, and I do love BMW.

Under normal circumstances I would be a Z4 M kind of guy, but, on this ocassion they are too much for me. An extra 10k there is 10k less deposit on the next house, so I have to be sensible.
I also have an all out track car that does the fast, rwd, slippy diff fun thing, so I don't feel like I'll be missing out too much!

So I'm here initially to learn about the 3.0si Coupe, find out what I should be looking for in a good one and work out which options I need/want.

Look forward to seeing some of your cars and taking some inspiration from them. :)
E86 3.0 road & track project and assorted Jap crap
YouTube: Circuit : Driver

bmwaddict

Post by bmwaddict » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:37 am

Welcome, and good choice of future purchase! They're great cars, my coupe will be for sale very shortly also as I can't justify 2 coupes any longer! :D
Currently zedless :(

'07 Mugello Blue Audi B7 RS4 Saloon with added goodies
'94 Black/Silver/Green Honda CBR400RR
Previous:
'07 Ruby Black Z4MC
'07 Sapphire Black Z4C 3.0si Sport

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:40 am

Welcome, you will find the forum offers plenty of advice on what to look for when buying a Zed.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.

Taz
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Taz » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am

welcome to the forum

the coupe is awesome, check for rust on the inner of the rear hatch

jeffers

Post by jeffers » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Welcome! As another former S2k owner.. the Z4C is a much nicer road car. No need to rev the knackers off it :)

And, ahem...
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=98333

:thumbsup:

Matt Scarbro

Post by Matt Scarbro » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for welcomes Gents.

@jeffers, such a coincidence that you posted, I have another tab open with your advert on it. It looks almost ideal for me. I will get in touch. :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:12 pm

Welcome to the forum OP - what impeccable taste you have choosing an E86 (but as I'm on my 2nd I may be biased). :lol:

Hope you manage to get one soon so you can post some photos!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Matt Scarbro

Post by Matt Scarbro » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:19 am

I've always wanted a Coupe, but a teency bit of budget creep, might get a 35i folding top. Real decision there as this is more of a GT car for us, so the newer car, extra spec and ability to 'drop the top', might overcome my love for the Coupe...

Carmad84

Post by Carmad84 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:28 am

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the search :thumbsup:

Matt Scarbro

Post by Matt Scarbro » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm

That didn't take long!

The budget did creep a bit and I can't believe I've shunned the Coupe for a slightly newer foldy top e89! It should fit the bill for us really nicely though and I'm sure we'll both enjoy some top down motoring!

Collecting this eve so getting exciting! :D
Last edited by Matt Scarbro on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Matt Scarbro wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm That didn't take long!

The budget did creep a bit and I can't believe I've shunned the Coupe for a slightly newer foldy top e89! It should fit the bill for us really nicely though and I'm sure we'll both enjoy some top down motoring!

Collecting this eve so getting excitingly! :D
Great news (even if you did go for an E89). :lol:

Looking forward to the photos - once you've stopped driving it! :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black