Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

e85 workshop manual ?

First port of call for new members
LordOxygen

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by LordOxygen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Is there a known source for a decent e85 3.0 workshop manual including diagrams, how to's and torque settings etc.
I've been looking around online and seen a few options on ebay along with the e46 haynes manual for the m54 engine. But want to make sure I buy the correct / best one.

Also while I'm here does anyone know the correct torque for the OEM braces bolts between front suspension domes / mounts to the bulk head. (I need torque them up properly before I move the car after sorting the wiper motor last weekend)

thank you very much

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:34 pm

I would suggest the BCables diagnostic suite & cable - Around £30 on Ebay, comes with the full diagnostic and reference suite.

Just had a look in TIS, and for the life of me I can't find the torque setting..

I just did mine up by feel.

Mike

LordOxygen

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by LordOxygen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:47 pm

Ducklakeview wrote:I would suggest the BCables diagnostic suite & cable - Around £30 on Ebay, comes with the full diagnostic and reference suite.

Just had a look in TIS, and for the life of me I can't find the torque setting..

Mike
Thanks I did mark the bolts before I undid them and they're back in the same position, but I'd still like to be 100% sure they're correct as there's no way to know they were correct before I loosened them.

Have you got the TIS on a DVD or are you looking online somewhere?

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 pm

LordOxygen wrote:
Ducklakeview wrote:I would suggest the BCables diagnostic suite & cable - Around £30 on Ebay, comes with the full diagnostic and reference suite.

Mike
Thanks I did mark the bolts before I undid them and they're back in the same position, but I'd still like to be 100% sure they're correct as there's no way to know they were correct before I loosened them.

Have you got the TIS on a DVD or are you looking online somewhere?
I've got the kit from BCables.

Mike

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by Ewazix » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 pm

LordOxygen wrote: Also while I'm here does anyone know the correct torque for the OEM braces bolts between front suspension domes / mounts to the bulk head. (I need torque them up properly before I move the car after sorting the wiper motor last weekend)

thank you very much
The nuts are supposed to be one-use so should be replaced, a previous thread suggested the part is 51717895241.
The torque setting is listed as 35 Nm > 28 ft-lb, re-using the lock-nut means it may not torque as designed and overtightening risks breaking the stud off. However I did tweak mine a 1/4 turn to correctly re-torque them and eliminated the common bulkhead creaking without coming to grief, but others have not been so lucky. BTW don't put grease or lube on to any thread that need torquing unless specified by the maker as this leads to incorrect torque readings and overtightening. This topic gives more info :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=18129
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by GuidoK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Ewazix wrote: The torque setting is listed as 35 Nm > 28 ft-lb,
?!?
Torque setting is listed as 41Nm? :?
(for the nut that is (pre facelift), if you have the bolt (facelift) its 56Nm + 105deg)
Did you get that setting out of TIS or somewhere else? (in TIS its listed under 5171 4AZ)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

LordOxygen

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:55 am

Ill order 4 new bolts from bmw and ask them to confirm torque. Thanks.

Edit to add. According to google images that part number isnt the same as the nuts i have.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by GuidoK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:14 am

LordOxygen wrote:Ill order 4 new bolts ....
You mean nuts :wink:
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

LordOxygen

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 am

GuidoK wrote:
LordOxygen wrote:Ill order 4 new bolts ....
You mean nuts :wink:
Ha, Nuts yes. I got it correct in my edit at least.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:39 am

As said, you are looking for TIS. It's available online if you google or can come with some cable purchases.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

LordOxygen

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by LordOxygen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 pm

These are the part numbers for my early e85 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=51_4958

BMW confirmed earlier today, have 4 new nuts on order. 07129904048
They said they'd try to find out the correct torque and let me know, but they didn't call back.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by GuidoK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 pm

.....I'm pretty sure I gave you the correct torque specs....

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by Ewazix » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:15 pm

GuidoK wrote:
Ewazix wrote: The torque setting is listed as 35 Nm > 28 ft-lb,
?!?
Torque setting is listed as 41Nm? :?
(for the nut that is (pre facelift), if you have the bolt (facelift) its 56Nm + 105deg)
Did you get that setting out of TIS or somewhere else? (in TIS its listed under 5171 4AZ)
I've got data I've compiled from TIS and the web over the years, every reference I've seen to this part number on the e85 (and other BMW & Mini models that use the part) is 34 or 35nm
This is also the setting that's been quoted for the strut tower top nuts on this forum on numerous occasions. There is sometimes confusion with the strut to firewall fixing which is different. Having searched the web a bit it also seems that TIS torques for this part number were updated at some stage, here's one example posted previously referring to the strut tower nuts

Anybody got a late issue TIS to confirm (mine's early)
Torques.jpg
Torques.jpg (74.85 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by GuidoK » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:31 pm

^yes, that is the setting for the nuts on the spring strut mounts (bmw calls that part the guide support). (with m8 nuts).
However, the TS asks torque settings for the nuts that hold the strut braces down (those are m10 nuts), so very different parts altogheter :wink:

Like I said, the torque settings as they are listed in 5171 4AZ, not in 3131 1AZ

Latest TIS issue (in the TIS software enviroment) is from 12/2007. There's a german one from 3/2008.
After that TIS is integrated in ISTA-D, but torque settings and repair procedures are all the same so if the vehicle is covered in the earlier version there's no need for a later one.

Stevepj

e85 workshop manual ?

Post by Stevepj » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 pm

From another post earlier today

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpo ... stcount=91

Torque settings are listed for both nuts and bolts in the procedure paragraphs
So this is where I write about the car? 2003 E85 2.5i, sterling grey, red leather, 106s with Goodyear Eagle F1s, factory xenons, folding mirrors, cup holders, retrofit cruise control, Bilstein B4's all round. And a whippy!