Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

roof problem

First port of call for new members
raymax

roof problem

Post by raymax » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi new here have a problem my passenger window stopped working I have the part to fix it then had a third party reverse into me so got all fixed on her insurance but when I picked my car up from body shop the light for the roof switch was flashing and when I press up or down button nothing happens and this morning the rear screen heater did not work this all worked before have been in touch with insurance and they are sending out an engineer any ideas what may have happened here its an 04 e85 cheers in advance

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

roof problem

Post by markplant » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:15 pm

What colour is the flashing, if orange the boot parcel shelf is in the upper position an needs to be the lower
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Rusky

roof problem

Post by Rusky » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 pm

If the heater isnt working too, i would be looking at maybe a connector not being reconnected, sorry my experience with the vert is limited so cant point out exactly where that connector is likely to be.
3.0l Silver SMG, whippy and ginge fringe/ Sound gen mod/ Media bridge fitted (bluetooth and audio streaming) / Clear third break light/ Hard Top/ Eibachs springs and DLV back box/ Roof motor in the boot/ plus lots more.

raymax

roof problem

Post by raymax » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 pm

Light is flashing red

chapeau

roof problem

Post by chapeau » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Can you hear the motor whirring? If so there is a red handle in the boot (left hand side) which is the release for the hydraulic pressure in the roof system - It is possible this has been pulled out, causing the roof to be unable to be retracted?
E85. 2.5i SE. 2004. Sterling grey, anthracite 107s, black leather heated seats, hardtop, sound gen retrofit, matt black grills, stubby, zhp, cupholders retrofit, roof motor in boot.

raymax

roof problem

Post by raymax » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Motor not running nouthing happens at all when up or down button pushed and red light permantly flashing

Russ59

roof problem

Post by Russ59 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:14 pm

raymax wrote:Hi new here have a problem my passenger window stopped working I have the part to fix it then had a third party reverse into me so got all fixed on her insurance but when I picked my car up from body shop the light for the roof switch was flashing and when I press up or down button nothing happens and this morning the rear screen heater did not work this all worked before have been in touch with insurance and they are sending out an engineer any ideas what may have happened here its an 04 e85 cheers in advance

I had permanent flashing red light, no window drop and no roof unlatch and no rear window heater, guy on here pointed me in the right direction and fixed it for me. It was a broken wire and a kinked wire in the loom in the front of the roof, they are very thin like telephone wire and eventually break while bending with the roof going up and down. New piece soldered in and all was good again.
Manually unfold roof to about halfway position, take covering off to access wiring.
Hope you get it sorted.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

raymax

roof problem

Post by raymax » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:58 pm

Sounds like what's wrong with mine will have a look tomorrow was it just small cover Which pops off or do I have to remove more ?

Russ59

roof problem

Post by Russ59 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 pm

raymax wrote:Sounds like what's wrong with mine will have a look tomorrow was it just small cover Which pops off or do I have to remove more ?

You have to fold roof back so far then there are several screws across the front of the roof and a couple either side which are difficult to see. then fold the panel down and you will see the wiring loom which runs from the middle to the passenger side. You will have to peel the sheathing back to reveal the wires to see which are suspect. You will see were the loom bends when the roof goes up and down (my problem was there).

Below is a piece from a thread on removing the roof panel.

1- First you need to lower the roof just past half way, NOTE if the roofs not down enough you won't see the side screws, I had the engine running as the roof will creep down otherwise.
2- Then remove the cover that hides the part for manually releasing the roof, where the Allen Key goes. Then remove the screw at the back, it will be obvious which one it is.
3- Then remove the 4 little screws at the front of the panel.
4- Then remove the side screws (one on each side) it won't come off without breaking unless you Remove them as I very nearly found out.

The screws are obvious when you peel the roof back. Its just the 2 on the sides which needs 2 people to do because you have to move the roof about a bit to see them, they are only small screws and need to be kept hold of when unscrewed or they drop onto the car floor where the carpet monster eats them.
2005, 3.0l Toledo Blue, sports seats, sports suspension, ZHP, MFSW,4 clear spot rear lights, clear side repeaters and third brake light , 19" AXE EX14 wheels, DIY carbon badges, interior parts gloss black wrapped, rear spoiler

raymax

roof problem

Post by raymax » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Cheers will have a look tomorrow weather permitting cheered up a bit now as could not get my head round 3 problems together especially the heated window not working will let you know how I get on

kis
Lifer
Lifer

roof problem

Post by kis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:05 pm

Mine flashes when it's not been closed properly? So that's probably why the heated screen isn't working. If it's not closed properly then some connections probably haven't been completed?

I'd take it back to the shop. Whatever tinkering they've done has caused a problem with the motor/mechanism/loom.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71