Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nearly made my decision....

First port of call for new members
revgannon

Nearly made my decision....

Post by revgannon » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:37 am

Morning All,

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been thinking about buying a TT 2.0tfsi for months as i wanted something fairly quick with reasonable mpg. However after never contemplating a BMW, i drove a z4 and lets just say that the budget was extended from then on. I've located a car that fits the spec i want, its a 12 plate 20 m sport with leather and nav. And i have negotiated a decent deal that I'm strongly considering but i just wanted to ask a few questions to the experienced z4 owners :)

-40mpg combined is the claim however whats the reality people are getting?

-any particular gremlins to look for before i hand over the cash?

-is it worth the extra for a 28i (if i could find one with the right spec?

-finally, has anyone had any experience of remapping the lower power n20 engines e.g. the kellners unit for the 20i that adds extra horses and torque.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

AlanJ
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Nearly made my decision....

Post by AlanJ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:49 am

Hi and welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:

Your questions......

- 40 mpg in ideal circumstances but as with all claims for car mpg rarely achievable by the average motorists across all driving conditions (i.m.o)
- E89 drives can respond better than me (E85)
- Yes I would go for the 28i
- Not a fan of remapping just for power but if it improves overall engine performance including throttle response then may be worth considering

Good luck in your search :)
///M tri colour steering wheel, mud flaps and loads of other extras! ZHP illuminated gear lever..... Pre Purchase Checks,Getting the Best out of Dealers http://www.bmwz4roadster.net

metal licker
Lifer
Lifer

Post by metal licker » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
Mpg - don't know
Gremlins - would check the roof operation is ok as I can imagine it costing a lot to fix if knackered,some have complained about
a odd noise with the 4 pot engines try a bit of search on the forum for more info on this. Cracking of alloys is also a known problem but usually on the 19" 296 design.Then just the usual checks you would give any second hand car
Engine size - Test drive em both :wink:
Remapping - Don't know
Best of luck with the search :)
718 4.0 GTS Boxster in YELLOW :driving:
718 Guards Red Boxster .........Gone!
A35 AMG saloon .........Gone!
JCW ...........Gone !
E89 35i Msport VO ................Gone !
E89 23i SE DSB ................Gone !

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Billy

Post by Billy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:46 pm

revgannon wrote:Morning All,

I'm embarrassed to say that I've been thinking about buying a TT 2.0tfsi for months as i wanted something fairly quick with reasonable mpg. However after never contemplating a BMW, i drove a z4 and lets just say that the budget was extended from then on. I've located a car that fits the spec i want, its a 12 plate 20 m sport with leather and nav. And i have negotiated a decent deal that I'm strongly considering but i just wanted to ask a few questions to the experienced z4 owners :)

-40mpg combined is the claim however whats the reality people are getting?

-any particular gremlins to look for before i hand over the cash?

-is it worth the extra for a 28i (if i could find one with the right spec?

-finally, has anyone had any experience of remapping the lower power n20 engines e.g. the kellners unit for the 20i that adds extra horses and torque.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
- No where close to 40mpg, more like 30-33 combined
- Cracked alloys on 19s, check roof mechanism as well as for any leaks in boot, water/condensation in lights
- Depends how much extra; 1-2k probably yes
- no experience of remapping
'17 440i LCI convertible (F33)
'12 Z4 sDrive20i M-Sport (E89) - gone
'07 325i (E90) - gone
'04 Z4 2.5i (E85) - gone