Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Have I bought a pup? - Not at all....

First port of call for new members
Monkeydonkeyratmagic

Have I bought a pup? - Update 1...

Post by Monkeydonkeyratmagic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:08 pm

The upper panel looks a different colour? Has it been in an accident in the past at all? Wondering if the cause could be a bad repair job.
MR-2 Turbo Rev2

Yep no Z yet. On the hunt.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ducklakeview » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:23 pm

The grommet is around the big thick positive cable behind the battery.

More

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Ala5dair wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:53 pm
Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:12 pm That looks pretty normal to me - Don't forget, there will be a bead of "panel sealant" underneath accounting for the little "step" between the panel edges.

Did you check the big grommet?

Mike
Hi Mike

I’ve spent the morning disassembling the rear of the z.

Is the grommet you mention as shown in the photo below?. If so, there are 2 and they are in place and intact.
32E98C40-C41F-4386-A2F4-AA8F07174DFB.jpeg

Returning to another possibility, there is no sealant between the two panels either side of the boot opening, meaning water passes between them, (shown.by the double-headed arrow), and there is a gap between these and the light housing, which means that water pours directly into the cavity where the lights are mounted. There doesn’t seem to be any ingress via the lights themselves, but it seems to be entering the light trim mounting holes and then getting in via the rear
284681CA-B070-467C-8F5B-1D1B73AC9DCF.jpeg
76296DA9-7A12-4258-B074-64751BD41A4A.jpeg
50A5BC49-BB3D-4B23-838D-9717948D55D3.jpeg

On the kerbside, it’s also getting through the grommet for the parking sensors, on the rear inner panel
FE3DA21D-61A2-40D8-912F-B953211C49E5.jpeg
0E90D62F-C472-49FB-9B86-23859445A24C.jpeg

The car is drying out, and now that I think I know the cause, I can address it, but I’d like to understand the supposed route for water that enters the boot rim. Should it pass as it does, between the 2 horizontal panels and then out between the inner and outer rear quarter panels, or should it flow along the boot rim channel and then out over the rear bumper?

Can’t anyone advise the best way of solving this problem?

I could silicon all of these gaps, so that water runs down the boot rim and over the rear bumper, but this might look a bit messy and cause problems elsewhere.... Any and all advice welcome...
The black rectangular air vent (featured in your last pic) are a common water leak. There's one on either side of the car and I think they have a seal/gasket that fails. Remedy IIRC is either new vents or some sealant to stop them leaking around the edges.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Ala5dair

Have I bought a pup? - Update 2...

Post by Ala5dair » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 pm

I’ve been on the car again today, and it is now clear that it has suffered accident damage to the rear, which has been poorly repaired.

The RHS air vent is damaged, (thanks, Mack) and is the main cause of ingress to this side. At £6 per pop, I’ve ordered 2 and have a temporary fix in pace until they are available.

The LHS leak is caused by the grommet for the parking sensors being fitted the wrong way round, with the protective side inside the car. I will reverse this when I have more time, but Vaseline will prevent further ingress for the moment.

This just leaves the battery compartment which, despite the car being covered last night, had water in again this morning. #puzzled. I’ve checked the grommet, Mike, and it is there but there does seem to be a gap around the red cable. Is this normal, or should there be a snug fit?

I’m not sure if this is the cause, however as:
a) the new water is to the rear of the separator whilst the front (where the grommet is) remains relatively dry.
b) I’ve inundated the wheel arch with water, and see no ingress, so I am not sure where such ingress could come from.

If this is the cause of ingress to the battery compartment, from where will the water come, so that I can check it?

The “original’ third brake light was also a non-OEM part fitted with only 2 bolts, and the springs are very weak. I’ve fitted my new, white one, with Vaseline around, with a temporary fix on the third bolt, but I don’t think this is the cause of the leak to the battery compartment as the floor was dry.

So, I’m clearly getting there, but if anyone has further comments, I’d really appreciate them...
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

Ala5dair

Have I bought a pup? - Update 2...

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Three months of ownership and 1,500 miles later, I just wanted to update all those interested with progress:

The tyre issues have been resolved at minimal cost. It was only beading issues, so a re-seat solved all four tyres. I’ve had the front suspension rear arm bushes replaced, with standard units, which has dramatically improved the front end. There is still a little tramlining / steering “stickiness” after long journeys, and it’s very vague when the tyres are cold, but I put both of these down to the RFT’s which will be replaced for standard when they get low.

The ingress into the boot, which resulted from an undeclared rear end shunt has also now been sorted. Silicon sealant between panels and new vents in the rear, and the boot is bone dry.

I’ve fitted a ZDP gear knob, and deleted the CDV, both of which have improved the drive of the car no end. A rocker cover leak was also repaired (by the dealer, at no cost) and so the car is now a delight. Pity then, than I’ve gone and got a job with a company car (3 series) and so the zed will soon be relegated to my second car. Pity, but it’s no pup, it’s a delight. :D
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

Attilio

Post by Attilio » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Ala5dair wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:17 pmThanks, all for the comments. It makes sense that, with the slight glass damage, water is getting under the hard top, into the soft top and then, if the drains are blocked, we have the issue. I’ll check the drains and advise ASAP.
Unfortunately, the posts with the drain cleaning instructions either seem to be obsolete (shipkiller) or the photo’s are removed (sixspeed). As a newbie, I’ve no experience of the car, and so I’d really appreciate it if someone could advise where I can see the photo’s too.
Ref the wheels, they’ll be tested tomorrow, and I’ll update once I know the true situation. Fingers crossed...
Hi and welcome to the forum!

regarding the wheels I can share my previous experience on an E91 showing similar tyre pressure symptoms: the problem turned out to be due to corrosion on the beads; I had the wheels completely stripped and refurbished; they find a small crack in one and welded it: problem solved, no more air leaks.

I think it is worthwhile trying to fix the issue rather than disposing of the wheels (you may want to have an additional set).

Enjoy your Z4 :)
Z4M Coupe, Interlagos blue, black leather, piano black, stubby, OEM CSLs, evolve intake, cup holders...pretty much stock
2019 Toyota Corolla hybrid 2.0L - new daily drive

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:38 pm

Thanks, Atillo.

The leakage issue has been fundamentally sorted, thanks to a re-seat by the local Malvern Tyres depot.
There is still a slight leak on the fronts, but I can live with this until I have the wheels refurbished in the spring...

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:05 am

Nice looking Zed! Seems like you've sorted a few problems too! :thumbsup:

Only thing I'd add is that quite a few people have re-trimmed steering wheels themselves. There is a Chinese one that some people have. have a quick search, they seem really good and having seen one, it feels good and looks on point for relatively little money - considering a full retrim is £100+
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71