Re mapping

First port of call for new members
Mr Tidy
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 4181
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re mapping

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 pm

jamie_z4 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:41 am
defo consider a remap - the N52 seems to be one of the few NA engines which respond well to a map. I had my 2.5i (177bhp) mapped to 200 bhp! Which I was astonished at.
Actually from what I can make out the facelift 2.5i is the only E85 engine that does respond well to a remap. Probably because the 2.5Si was pretty much the same engine but rated at 218bhp - I'm guessing because of BMWs original mapping!

As Marlon said you might get 15 bhp on a 3.0Si, but if they are required then why not? :(
Z4 3.0Si Sport - Coupe for added stiffness!
Current - Montego Blue, Pearl Grey & 108Ms. Cruise, Storage and pdc. 325ti Sport as a DD.
Gone - Ruby Black, Pearl Grey & 135Ms. Xenons, heated seats and Professional speakers.

User avatar
PinkPineapple44
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Re mapping

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 pm

I will probably get my nasp 3.0 N52 mapped in the foreseeable future; mainly for the removal of flat spots, improved engine response and the ability to turn off all the DSC nonsense whilst also engaging sport mode.

User avatar
Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer
Posts: 5015
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re mapping

Post by Ducklakeview » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 am

PinkPineapple44 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 pm
I will probably get my nasp 3.0 N52 mapped in the foreseeable future; mainly for the removal of flat spots, improved engine response and the ability to turn off all the DSC nonsense whilst also engaging sport mode.
Seriously, don't waste your £... If your car has flat spots a "remap" will probably exaggerate them. Find the problem rather than try and have it mapped out.

Mike

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Re mapping

Post by idej_jedi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:43 am

Totally different question, and maybe one for another thread, but I'm planning to put the Z on a rolling road to see how many horses have escaped...is there anything that can be done to get lost horses back?

Once the Z isn't a daily anymore (next winter) then weight shedding will be my main focus for extra speed. :driving:
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

User avatar
ph001
Member
Member
Posts: 623
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:53 pm
Location: N. Yorkshire.

Re mapping

Post by ph001 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:48 am

The only reason it could be down on power would be things like:

Blocked filters
Low quality fuel
Worn plugs
Low compression
Air leaks etc

If you have no fault codes stored, are on top of the servicing and use super unleaded there is no reason for it to be down on power.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual.

User avatar
PinkPineapple44
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Re mapping

Post by PinkPineapple44 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:00 am

Ducklakeview wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:07 am
PinkPineapple44 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:36 pm
I will probably get my nasp 3.0 N52 mapped in the foreseeable future; mainly for the removal of flat spots, improved engine response and the ability to turn off all the DSC nonsense whilst also engaging sport mode.
Seriously, don't waste your £... If your car has flat spots a "remap" will probably exaggerate them. Find the problem rather than try and have it mapped out.

Mike
There's no problem, the factory maps are always a compromise. My e36 328 was night and day after a remap. But even if there is absolutely no gain and BMW did a perfect job, I still want all aids off whilst a sport mode is on.

User avatar
idej_jedi
Member
Member
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:40 pm

Re mapping

Post by idej_jedi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 am

ph001 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:48 am
The only reason it could be down on power would be things like:

Blocked filters
Low quality fuel
Worn plugs
Low compression
Air leaks etc

If you have no fault codes stored, are on top of the servicing and use super unleaded there is no reason for it to be down on power.
That is good to know - thanks! I can tick 3 of those off the list. Only low compression and air leaks could get me. I only use V Power and are completely on top of servicing as well. :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si (Instagram: @idej_z4)

Image

Chris1981
Member
Member
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 am
X-Box live gamer tag: spoonycactus

Re mapping

Post by Chris1981 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:53 pm

I had a remap as part of an exhaust package... whether or not the power has increased I couldn't say as like Marlon there was no rolling road used but the throttle response was certainly improved and after 3.5k the engine was far more response than pre-map! (Potentially also due to the increased throttle response!)

I had no flat spots before the map and if you think having a remap would cure any you're wrong ph001 and DLV are 100% right on that one... these engines also have numerous sensors that will become less efficient over time and although they may not throw an engine code may contribute to flat spots.... Camshaft sensors, TPS and MAF to name but a few, I cleaned my MAF properly recently and I certainly felt a difference, the wire was caked in black crap so easy to tell it wouldn't be reading air flow correctly!

A remap would be worth considering if you are making other mods such as exhaust or intake, as you are changing the way in which the engine breathes and the standard map may actually cause a reduction in power so if you put on an induction kit or remove cats a remap would be more beneficial.... I will be changing my 3.0si intake in the near future and plan on having a rolling road tune so will post following that with some dyno prints hopefully!

User avatar
chrisgreen
Member
Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Re mapping

Post by chrisgreen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I had a remap on my 2.2i Z3. I did have a full exhaust system and sports cats but the remap was worth it. Even though I never had it on a dyno the engine felt so much more lively and power came in much earlier in the rev range. It was a 2.2 so was never chasing numbers!!

also the rev limiter was raised ever so slightly which was nice on those occasions when I did rev it up to the max. Obviously if you redline every gear change then I wouldn't recommend but for every now and again it was fun.

I've always taken the view that it's down to how the car feels - if it feels faster/more urgent and better to drive - then 99% of the time that's good enough unless you're regularly doing track days and standing 1/4 miles.
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests