Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Question about oil indicator

First port of call for new members
tammyw

Post by tammyw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:36 am

I have looked everywhere online for an answer but can not find anything.
When I check my oil indicator on my 2007 z4 it is showing 3 out of the bars but then is says ok. What does this mean? I thought maybe it was 2 levels down and it was almost time for an oil change so I took it and got it changed. However, after the oil was changed it still shows 3 out of 5. I am concerned if Jiffy Lube added the correct amount. I normally got o BMW but did not have time to get an appointment. The manual does not explain what it means when each bar leaves. Thanks

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:05 am

Each bar is approx 200ml (5 bars represents a litre). Bear in mind the display will not do a proper refresh unless engine is fully warm and running >1,500 rpm and minimal yaw, pitch. So basically a flat steady road.

Lots of people have overfilled their engine because of this which can be quite damaging (oil foaming).

The best method is to measure how much oil is taken out and put the same back. Assuming it hasn't used any etc.

3 out of 5 bars showing is fine.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

TR4man

Post by TR4man » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:13 am

If it was telling you that it is OK, why do you think it isn't?

It has no bearing on whether the car needs an oil change or not.

Visualise an oil dipstick, there is a min and a max mark on it. See the dash display as the same. So if you have three bars showing it means you are just over half way on a proper dipstick between the min and the max marks.

You did not need an oil changed based on this nor a top up.
2006 E86 Si Sport as a daily driver.