Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

"2.0l E85/E86 with poor performance?"

First port of call for new members
Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:16 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm
atreyu1 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:44 pm Thanks, there aren't any rattles it runs very quietly. There is however a copy of a "Health Check" carried out by a BMW dealership last year which mentions a VVT ? valve but doesn't go into detail as the owner didn't want any further work doing.
That's the valvetronic servo motor (these engines don't have a conventional throttle flap but rather control airflow with variable valve lift). I wonder if it's a problem with the sync of that. I would defo be giving this procedure a try.... http://mhhauto.com/Thread-E90-320i-valv ... to-failure
Wouldn’t vvt be connected with variable valve timing (vanos) rather than the valvetronic valve lift system?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:17 pm

What car did you move from to the z4 op? Might just be getting used to an NA engine, surprised me when moving from a 2L diesel
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:16 pm
ph001 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:17 pm
atreyu1 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:44 pm Thanks, there aren't any rattles it runs very quietly. There is however a copy of a "Health Check" carried out by a BMW dealership last year which mentions a VVT ? valve but doesn't go into detail as the owner didn't want any further work doing.
That's the valvetronic servo motor (these engines don't have a conventional throttle flap but rather control airflow with variable valve lift). I wonder if it's a problem with the sync of that. I would defo be giving this procedure a try.... http://mhhauto.com/Thread-E90-320i-valv ... to-failure
Wouldn’t vvt be connected with variable valve timing (vanos) rather than the valvetronic valve lift system?
Rob

I've never known BMW refer to the VANOS as VVT like Toyota would, although in essence of course this is what it is. In most BMW circles, VVT would be the Valvetronic motor actuator, e.g.: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-VVT-VARI ... 1978682202
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

blackabbot

Post by blackabbot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:09 pm

Sounds like you do have a problem, Just came home from work on an empty dual carriageway in my 2.0i doing 60mph in 6th gear, floored the throttle and bags of power to increase my speed without dropping it down a cog, I'm not mechanically minded so worth listening to more knowledgeable members on the forum :thumbsup:
2008, E85 2.0i sport, Titan Silver, Hardtop, ZHP Gear Knob, Chrome Exhaust Tip , Hydro Graphic Carbon Interior, DLV roof motor relocation and CDV delete and a Whippy :D

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Someone asked a good question - what car are you coming from?
For my first 2.0 Z4 I came from a 2.0 TFSI A4 that really kicked in when flooring it in the sweet rev range, I felt the Z4 was underpowered in comparison (which of course it was) - although it was a lot more fun to drive :driving:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Jake24

Post by Jake24 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:04 am

I have found with my 2.0 E85 that you do have to really push the car and be in a lower gear than you would think but mine will pull away and easily overtake at 60-80. If you cant feel it accelerating properly you most likely just need to drop down a gear, Mine is a six speed so if you have a 5( not sure if they made one) it may be different. Have you come from a turbo/supercharged vehicle as acceleration wise mine is around the same as my wifes 2010 1.4 TSI Scirrocco but obviously there is no "boost" feeling which makes hers seem quicker.
2006 2.0i Silver roadster

atreyu1

Post by atreyu1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 pm

In answer to the question, I have a Maserati 4200 and now I can imagine you all thinking well what do you expect ? You can't compare it with that. No you can't and there's not much that you can compare it with. However I also drive my wife's 1.9 Polo diesel and a Vauxhall Vivaro van plus the odd motorcycle. So I am very much aware that it's not and never will be a rocket ship. Reading Black abbots description of his cars performance that's how I expected mine to be but it isn't. There can't be much wrong with it though as it starts easily, idles reasonably smoothly, is quiet and will return 42 mpg. Am I right in thinking that the Vanos control the oil supply to the variable valve timing gear? If this is correct could an internal oil leak cause the valve timing to lag a little. This is just a guess and is probably wrong.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:27 am

atreyu1 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:50 pm In answer to the question, I have a Maserati 4200 and now I can imagine you all thinking well what do you expect ? You can't compare it with that. No you can't and there's not much that you can compare it with. However I also drive my wife's 1.9 Polo diesel and a Vauxhall Vivaro van plus the odd motorcycle. So I am very much aware that it's not and never will be a rocket ship. Reading Black abbots description of his cars performance that's how I expected mine to be but it isn't. There can't be much wrong with it though as it starts easily, idles reasonably smoothly, is quiet and will return 42 mpg. Am I right in thinking that the Vanos control the oil supply to the variable valve timing gear? If this is correct could an internal oil leak cause the valve timing to lag a little. This is just a guess and is probably wrong.
Hi, the vanos is the variable valve timing, the oil to them is supplied by vanos solenoids which can get blocked by debris/crud-people have had success removing them & cleaning in white spirit or petrol before reinstalling.
Any leaks will be visible on the outside rather than internally, this is usually just a damaged o ring :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

atreyu1

Post by atreyu1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Having put another couple of hundred or so miles on the clock I've decided it's me after all and not the car. I've come to realise that it does go rather well, in fact it's a lovely little sports car. It might seem an obvious thing to say but it's how you drive it that matters. Because it has a relatively small engine to get the best out of it you have to "row" it along with the gear lever, a bit like driving an MG Midget or an Alpine etc. So that's it, I'm happy for now. Thanks to the forum members who offered their advice.

yyz_bobby

Post by yyz_bobby » Mon May 25, 2020 11:28 pm

atreyu1 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 pm g put another couple of hundred or so miles on the clock I've decided it's me after all and not the car. I've come to realise that it does go rather well, in fact it's a lovely little sports car. It might seem an obvious thing to say but it's how you drive it that matters. Because it has a relatively small engine to get the best out of it you have to "row" it along with the gear lever, a bit like driving an MG Midget or an Alpine etc. So that's it, I'm happy for now. Thanks to the forum members who offered their advic
reviving a bit of an old thread here as also a new 2.0l E85 owner and I find exactly the same thing as the OP did.

Always have to knock it down a gear and really does not pick up from 70mph onwards very quickly.

Although mine has only done 50k and I am looking for some health checks and maintenance to learn. seems the vanos might be a good thing to clean up along with the o-rings