Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

From 2 wheels to 4 :-)

First port of call for new members
kirklet

Post by kirklet » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:44 pm

Hello 8)

Thought I'd say 'Hi' now I've registered on here, I've been lurking for a few weeks now while I read up on the Z4 amongst a couple of other cars.
10 weeks ago I broke my neck whilst out at Brno doing trackdays on my ZX10R. Arrived at a corner late in the second day, complete brake failure and head first into the gravel trap ! I was very lucky to survive it and the prognosis for the future is good thank god.
So all things considered and after having plenty of time to mull things over I thought after 28 years of road riding and tracking motorbikes I'd sell up and get myself a 2 seater roadster.
I'm dead set on a 3 litre Z4 now, just got to find the right car for me and my max budget is 5k. Do like the Sterling silver ones with red seats. If my neck was up to driving now I would've loved the one recently advertised with the aero kit for £3850 ! A lot of car for little money !

I'm a week or so away from being able to drive again so can start looking in earnest. Bit excited because I've never really had my own car, the missus drives around in a 2 litre SMAX (I have 4 children :o) which is nice enough and I have a VW T5 Kombi as my daily driver.
Hopefully can source a car through the forum instead eBay/Trader/Gumtree. You guys really seem to look after them and know your onions.

Cheers

Scott

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Keep your eyes on the classifieds Scott, there's usually some nice cars come on for sale if you're patient, it's a good place to buy on most occasions with well looked after motors, and the chancers are pretty much always rooted out, there's quite a few eagle eyed members that rat out the goons. :lol:

Nasty accident you had, sounds like you've been very lucky.

Hope you find the forum to your liking. :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Welcome- glad to hear you recovered from what sounds like a nasty accident. Forum cars tend to be safe bets or post adverts of cars you are considering for advice. Sure the right one will come along soon! :driving: :thumbsup:
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:42 pm

Tough break on the crash fella..glad you are on the mend tho and you do right seeking out a zed, you could do a lot worse than this fine forum car if its within you're budget
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=88941
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Welcome Scott good luck with your search.
A lot of ex and current bikers on here.
Just over 3 years ago after reaching a certain age without any serious mishaps but plenty of near misses over the years.
I decided not to push my luck for much longer, it was a major decision but I sold my Hyabusa (1340) and all the kit so not tempted to go back.
Bought my Z, surprisingly I don't miss the bike and love the car.
My Mrs also prefers the car to the bike :thumbsup:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Welcome, your approaching a good time to buy as some people sell their car at the end of the summer, you should be able to pickup a decent one with your budget, good luck and when you do find your dream car...we want photos :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

kirklet

Post by kirklet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for your replies, thankfully I'm getting fitter and more flexible day by day. :)

So I've started the search in earnest now, didn't know whether to post a wanted ad or just post a few I'd seen in the usual places in this thread?

My rough requirements are;

120k miles max
Manual
Heated/electric seats
3.0 litre
Sterling silver/dark grey preferably
18" alloys
Cruise control
£5000 budget max !
Anything else is a bonus tbh.

So I'll start with this one, it's ticking most of my boxes, only fly in the ointment is the lack of working roof. The seller has indicated this is a £175 repair but I'm assuming that's for the motor only and fitting will be extra? I was hoping for one with cruise control but I don't suppose this would be a deal breaker. I do like this colour though and I like the split rims this comes with as well, recently refreshed as well ! :thumbsup:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122104476287

I live just near Hull so I was hoping to find one within a 100 radius or so. Couple of others I've spotted below.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-mot ... source=sms

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 8237055146

Thanks in advance for any comments help. I'm hoping to buy next week if not sooner. Just like to reiterate I'm a totally newbie to the brand and these cars, no idea what I'm looking for beyond a few things I've read in this here parrish ! :D

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paddy wright » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:52 pm

Of those cars the middle one looks the best- clean, tidy and res ably priced. Other two feel a little unloved.
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:19 pm

Welcome!

I'm into 3rd week of ownership of what I thought to be a sorted z.
Cosmetically and when it was working it was tiptop but turns out it has a few hidden issues and foibles which my basic OBD scanner didnt pick up on the initial inspection before i bought it.
It was working fine up until very recently and now I'm in a loathsome process of elimination to find out what the problem is.

My advice: take a good BMW-specific OBD scanner to any prospective car ur looking at and ask the owner politely if you can scan it to see if it throws up any fault codes.

The only codes on mine at the point of purchasing was relating to thermostat for which I haggled the price down seeing as it didnt affect car running etc. - gbp500 off asking price and a further 400 off re the stat issue.

I'll probably end up having to take it to an indie for a full diagnosis/healthcheck. but i'm trying not to let this sour the experience. have already done 1000 enjoyable miles and hoping this is just a bump.

but do your homework and make sure everything is working as it should. look out for oil leaks around the oil filter housing and valve gaskets and sump gasket and dipstick. the lower intake boot will prob have holes in it if it hasnt been changed recently. you can see it very easily with a good light. flex it about a bit to see if there are holes/cracks lurking in the ribbed sections.

for the roof motor see the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86030

dave is in durham, not a million miles away from you. for 80 u cant go wrong there.

good luck!
Last edited by Chris_D on Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

kirklet

Post by kirklet » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Cheers Chris, I'll see if I can source one of these fault code scanners. Hopefully you get to the bottom of your problems sooner then later !

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:31 pm

This is the one I ordered recently. Comes highly reccomended.

https://www.amazon.de/Creator-System-sc ... eator+C310

kirklet

Post by kirklet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:09 am

So I've trawled through eBay etc all weekend and nothing's floated my boat properly yet.
I did notice this one on eBay though;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252521193786

Seemed too cheap for a car with 46k miles. It looked like the passenger door might be marked but this could just have been a reflection in the photo. So I messaged the seller asking more about its history etc. I suspected it may be a Cat C/D car.

After a day he responded, amazingly the car is located in Maidenhead but he's currently in Scotland but will pay for the car to be delivered to me if I send him £3495 by bank transfer ! :lol: :driving:

I honestly think that people can't be that gullible to fall for this s**t surely? Suffice to say I suggested he go fondle himself and reported the item to eBay to save anybody from falling for this guff.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:18 am

Could be spurious. Could be legit.
The fact he hasnt blurred number plate, parked in front of residence inc another vehicle + numberplate could mean he has nothing to hide.
Ask for copies of ID, cars docs etc. check online with a VIN check website and if all tallys up then it might mean its a legit sale.
Ofc you should never pay for anything without an inspection, viewing, testdrive, docs viewing first, so if it turns out to be legit then your last move would be a trip up/down there for a viewing.

kirklet

Post by kirklet » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Chris,

Yeah I did think it odd that he hadn't blurred out the reg plate of the Z4 and the other car in the background. But believe me, I've come across plenty of bogus adverts on ebay in my time, you can just tell from the correspondence back that they're taking the piss. It's the way they word their responses which gives the game away and they're always working in Scotland ! Unsurprisingly he wasn't in a position to allow me to view the car before buying but he assures me it's all legit ! I did offer to travel down to Maidenhead as well ! :driving:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:38 am

Welcome along.
A lot of Zed owners come from bikes - broke yer neck hells bells!

Have you considered this Forum car? viewtopic.php?f=41&t=88941&start=30

Its 1k over your budget but ticks all the boxes (apart from Cruise)
Also its a well known Zed from a well respected Forum member :thumbsup:
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S