Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mulling it over

First port of call for new members
Jimminy

Mulling it over

Post by Jimminy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:31 am

Ive just realised that I have not posted here yet, im still undicided about getting a z4c (by this I mean their is a 10 % chance I won't get one)
I don't know what other cars i should be considering. I keep my cars longer than a lot of people stay with their wife's, ive currently had a clio 172 cup for about 7 years which is a great car.
Im a little concerned about buying a rwd car because it's likely to be slower more of the time and handle worse but after looking at a couple they really do look great and ive probably watched to many gykarnas.
One thing I have found is that the seating position means it's difficult to judge where the car is on the road, have people found they acclimatise quickly to this?
Ive been looking at other cars as well but im struggling to find something practical and rwd and fairly sporty. Basically it just leaves bmw's or am I missing something obvious. The 130i appeals to me and it's rare but when compared to the z4 it looks a little slow and it really isn't that sexy and I can't get one with hydrolic stearing as I hate five door hatchbacks.
I don't like m3's as the interior looks like a.... Nevermind, I can't afford a csl so I can't buy one.
In an ideal world I would buy a megane r26r or a Cayman gt4 rs but as I don't want to or can't spend that much im just not sure what to do.
I'll read this again when im sober to see if it's not to offensive, im not trying to be.

Palmer666

Re: Mulling it over

Post by Palmer666 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:00 am

I had a corsa vxr and Megane, they don't compare. After I sold my corsa decided to buy s2000, now I love rear wheel drive and the z4 is a perfect compromise, it's fast whilst driveable everyday.

BradleyB

Post by BradleyB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 am

I came from a little 1.2 clio to a 2.5 Z4 when I turned 21. I was worried about how I'd cope with the extra power and rwd combo but it's made daily driving so much more enjoyable. I've never had any issues with judging where the car is on the road, though I do still struggle with the looong front end these cars have. Alhough I love my roadster the coupes are very good looking cars and there aren't many things on the road like it. Go on.. Bite the bullet :thumbsup:
'56 ///MR

Bing
Legend
Legend

Post by Bing » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 am

Looking at your alternate cars and the fact you're after hydraulic steering I guess you're after a Z4 M, rather than a 2.5 or 3.0 ? If so, test drive one. That is all.

:D
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:54 am

Jimminy wrote: Im a little concerned about buying a rwd car because it's likely to be slower more of the time and handle worse but after looking at a couple they really do look great and ive probably watched to many gykarnas.
I don't understand why you say rwd would be slower and handle worse :?

Stark
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Stark » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:58 am

srhutch wrote:
Jimminy wrote: Im a little concerned about buying a rwd car because it's likely to be slower more of the time and handle worse but after looking at a couple they really do look great and ive probably watched to many gykarnas.
I don't understand why you say rwd would be slower and handle worse :?
I'm the same.....RWD will drive and handle better than a FWD car, without doubt

Wyldie85

Post by Wyldie85 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:11 am

I came from a Grande Punto Sporting to my Z4.
Complete difference but I love it. The front end takes a little getting used to but apart from that no issues.
I drive mine every day and in all weathers and it hasn't let me down.

Wipe that 10% niggle and go and get one!!
2006 Silver grey 2.5si Convertible - Sold
2006 ///M Convertible - Sold
2019 Mercedes C300 AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
2019 San Francisco red M40i inc Tech & Comfort packs

paulgs1000
Lifer
Lifer

Post by paulgs1000 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:21 pm

It will handle differently Jimminie but not worse.

You'll soon get used to placing the zed on the road - just like any car, you will adapt and get to know it quite quickly - just remember the low front when driving up to curbs.

///M version only Zed with hydraulic steering. As Bing says - take a test drive.

(The 3.0si version of the Coupe may suit you if you can get over the electronic steering assist - perhaps try one as well? An easier drive but still quite capable and cheaper to run)

Good luck with your search.

:driving: :thumbsup:
Now Porsche flat 6 experience, 986S & 981S.
2006 Z4MR Imola Red/Imola Red, 2008 3.0si Sport Stratus Grey/Piano black, 2006 2.0I Sport Silver Grey Facelift. MX5, TVR Chimaera, many motorbikes.

Harry911

Post by Harry911 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:49 pm

Hi,

Test drive a few first! :driving:
Rear wheel drive is the way to go...more fun IMO...
The best sports cars are rear wheel drive... :poke:

Slaandjivaar :thumbsup:

Jimminy

Post by Jimminy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Cheers guys,

Im only looking at the 3.0si and that means living with electric steering I can't bring myself to drive an mz4c because that's the car for me but they are to expensive and this is going to be my daily driver, (if I drove one I could not by it and that would ruin the 3.0 for me)

And as for driving worse, you guys are off course correct. It will drive differently and I will have to see if that is to my taste.

I will be very shocked if it is as quick point to point as my clio but I hope it's as fun to hustle down country roads.

Jasey

Post by Jasey » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:36 pm

to

to

Clio was great fun throwing about the back roads.

Astra was great at cruising and pretty fast - less fun in twisties.

Z4 Is the best car I've ever owned and I'm keeping it longer that the current Mrs Jasey (20 years and counting).

:D

If throwing the car around in the twisties is your thing get a 200 Cup - mine was the full fat 200 and was a little less sharp :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:45 pm

Well a Z4 Couoe is certainly more distinctive than any Clio!
I bought one last June and love it. My daily is an E46 325ti Compact which has hydraulic PAS but I don't find the electric assistance in the Z4 a problem.
Just try one, so long as you are prepared to want one - once I drove one I just had to buy one!
But I guess you know that if you say you don't want to drive an M!
Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black