Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Photobucket blocking 3rd party hosting of images

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Apologies but In order to make sure images posted on the forum stay safe I have blocked the discussed site. There is simply too much risk of it disappearing on us. I will still allow images from the big providers for the time being.

I will make an announcement when I have sorted the approved image hosts list.

That said, the reccomended method is to upload your image directly to the forum, that will always be free :)
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:25 pm

I've always used Microsoft OneDrive for my pictures on this forum. I'm sure Google drive would do the trick as well.
Z4less :?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Raj_UK wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:25 pm I've always used Microsoft OneDrive for my pictures on this forum. I'm sure Google drive would do the trick as well.
How do you link to photos in Google drive from this forum?
When I try to 'share' photos it only prompts for email address - where is the option that gives links I can use here?
(tried 'get shareable link' but doesn't seem to work?)
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:10 am

I've never tried this before Marlon but it can be done - a bit long-winded though; Microsoft OneDrive is much easier.

For Google drive you need to turn link sharing on for the photo and you need the file ID. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to get the file ID using the pc but I did the following from my phone.

1) Share link which gives you a URL. The file ID is the long string between /file/d/ and /view?usp=drivesdk

2) Replace the FILE_ID in the string below with the ID you obtained from step 1.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=FILE_ID

3) Then wrap the above in the usual img tags

However there is a risk that Google change their API which will screw up images shared on the forum this way.

Just to demonstrate pic below shared from Google drive :)

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 am

sp3ctre wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:46 pm Apologies but In order to make sure images posted on the forum stay safe I have blocked the discussed site. There is simply too much risk of it disappearing on us. I will still allow images from the big providers for the time being.

I will make an announcement when I have sorted the approved image hosts list.

That said, the reccomended method is to upload your image directly to the forum, that will always be free :)
One of the reasons I use image hosting is because when you upload via the site the image quality drops massively! Not really helpful for the photo competition for example.

Also, I think the limit is either 3-4 images per post. This isn't always enough when doing a how 2 guide for example.

You say you're allowing images from the big providers...other than PB, which are these please?

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:10 am

idej_jedi wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 am
One of the reasons I use image hosting is because when you upload via the site the image quality drops massively! Not really helpful for the photo competition for example.

Also, I think the limit is either 3-4 images per post. This isn't always enough when doing a how 2 guide for example.

You say you're allowing images from the big providers...other than PB, which are these please?
Ok, we can possibly address the number of images in a post issue, I can see how that can be a problem for how-to's...

In terms of big providers at present all of the big providers are supported, Photobucket, Flickr, Google, etc... The point is I don't want a load of images getting uploaded here only for the site to disappear overnight and the images be gone... Yes, that seems to be happening with Photobucket, so I will have to assess what we are going to do there, but it is a lot less likely with the big providers than some site someone is operating on a personal level. I'm not trying to be awkward at all, just trying to protect the interest of the forum and its members.

I am also looking into the rotation issue with WLH... the problem is the way some phones deal with images and EXIF data... if there is a way around it then I am sure we can do something with that.

In terms of image quality it's really down to funding... it costs a lot to store images, and it costs even more to store large images and full quality images... we have limited funding on this forum so there has to be a balance. Most images people post are not gallery entries, so it doesn't matter about the quality so much, and there is even a benefit to compressing the images as the site loads quicker for people rather than waiting for large images to download on people's connections.

As always, these issues can all be considered as we go
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:23 am

sp3ctre wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:10 am
idej_jedi wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 am

Ok, we can possibly address the number of images in a post issue, I can see how that can be a problem for how-to's...

In terms of big providers at present all of the big providers are supported, Photobucket, Flickr, Google, etc... The point is I don't want a load of images getting uploaded here only for the site to disappear overnight and the images be gone... Yes, that seems to be happening with Photobucket, so I will have to assess what we are going to do there, but it is a lot less likely with the big providers than some site someone is operating on a personal level. I'm not trying to be awkward at all, just trying to protect the interest of the forum and its members.

I am also looking into the rotation issue with WLH... the problem is the way some phones deal with images and EXIF data... if there is a way around it then I am sure we can do something with that.

In terms of image quality it's really down to funding... it costs a lot to store images, and it costs even more to store large images and full quality images... we have limited funding on this forum so there has to be a balance. Most images people post are not gallery entries, so it doesn't matter about the quality so much, and there is even a benefit to compressing the images as the site loads quicker for people rather than waiting for large images to download on people's connections.

As always, these issues can all be considered as we go
I appreciate the info. I agree with everything you've said regarding costs and storage etc.

The most important thing is that the forum keeps going! :thumbsup:

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 am

Raj_UK wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:10 am I've never tried this before Marlon but it can be done - a bit long-winded though; Microsoft OneDrive is much easier.

For Google drive you need to turn link sharing on for the photo and you need the file ID. I'm not sure if there is an easy way to get the file ID using the pc but I did the following from my phone.

1) Share link which gives you a URL. The file ID is the long string between /file/d/ and /view?usp=drivesdk

2) Replace the FILE_ID in the string below with the ID you obtained from step 1.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=FILE_ID

3) Then wrap the above in the usual img tags

However there is a risk that Google change their API which will screw up images shared on the forum this way.

Just to demonstrate pic below shared from Google drive :)

Great - thanks, I will experiment later today :thumbsup:
911 997 Carrera S

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 am

Very odd but I can't see my signature and I'm not seeing images on some posts (the images in this screen shot are not hosted by Photobucket) :
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 08.43.01.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 08.43.01.png (146.88 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
911 997 Carrera S

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:49 am

I can see your signature fine...

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:29 am

sp3ctre wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:49 am I can see your signature fine...
Same here!

idej_z4

Post by idej_z4 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:56 am

Marlon wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 am Very odd but I can't see my signature and I'm not seeing images on some posts (the images in this screen shot are not hosted by Photobucket) :

I've got the same thing...are you looking at in on mobile Marlon?

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Marlon » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:58 am

idej_jedi wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:56 am
Marlon wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 am Very odd but I can't see my signature and I'm not seeing images on some posts (the images in this screen shot are not hosted by Photobucket) :

I've got the same thing...are you looking at in on mobile Marlon?
No - on a Mac Book Pro
911 997 Carrera S

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:17 am

Photobucket have caused havoc with dead image links all over the web! I'm guessing the priority for the forum is to get our technically useful images uploaded to the forum first. I've posted a few in the past but some people will have loads. What a PITA!

I'm surprised that there's been so little kick back against PB on the web so far :?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:54 am

I have just checked some of my old posts and some of the photos are still there ??
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981