Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Comments on seller's price in adverts

Discuss ideas for improving and developing this forum
Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:01 pm

I recently had a bad experience on another forum which I had been an active member of for a couple of years. When I put up a detailed advert for my car the thread was swamped with derisory comments about the price, which was strong but it was an exceptional example. In the end I kicked-off about some of the unhelpful comments and the mods stepped in asking people to pack it in. Two days later I sold the car elsewhere for the asking price (which shut them up), but my chances on that forum were in tatters :x

My question is about the etiquette of commenting on asking prices for members cars, I kinda feel that unless someone asks for feedback on pricing to leave it alone, prices vary a lot regionally and it only takes some ill-informed off-the-cuff comment for an advert to be ruined, or am I over sensitive after my ragging elsewhere. Any thoughts?
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

danmiddle2

Re: Comments on seller's price in adverts

Post by danmiddle2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Can't stand it - if it's overpriced, the market will decide... no need to ruin the sales thread.

gordongecko500

Post by gordongecko500 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:45 pm

Unfortunately there are rude people and apparent experts everywhere. Ignore them.

I think it's fair to pass polite opinion in order to provide a guide, which i see quite often on here. For the short period I've been on here most comments have been amiable. Everything has it's price - if it's too high it won't sell!

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:51 pm

I would only offer comment if i thought it was helpful & only then on a friendly basis , some sellers are deluded & some know what their item is worth
A forum after all is a medium for open debate 8) ripping apart someone,s potential sale however should not be encouraged or tolerated
Glad you got what you wanted :thumbsup:
Last edited by mr wilks on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Adamski
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Adamski » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't think the forum rules help TBH, as they say that unless you're posting to buy, you can only comment on the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone: Z4M Coupé|Black Sapphire|OEM CSLs|Aero Skirts|OEM Strut Brace|Nav|Heated Seats|Logic 7 Pro Hi-fi|Bluetooth|Carbon Leather|PDC|BMW Assist|Stubby
Gone: Cherished 2003 3.0i Black Sapphire Roadster

Stug

Post by Stug » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:53 pm

I think most comments on price here are well meant and are aimed at being helpful whether the item is over or underpriced. However I see your point in so much as its your item and its your price. The last thing you would want is a possible buyer being told the item they are looking at is too much money.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:06 pm

I think if you advertise on open forums you open yourself up to mischief makers and keyboard warriors .

Maybe the forum should look at a donation system that would cut this out.

I don't know the legalities but these would be donations not charges

Say minimum £10 donation for cars that would cut out people joining to sell.

Items up to £100 - minimum £1 donation
Items over £100 up to £200 minimum £3 donation
Items over £200 minimum £5 donation

Comments email direct to seller

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

People shouldn't be making any comment on price on sale adverts. It's nothing to do with them. If it's too expensive, go buy elsewhere.

On another forum I use, you can't reply to sale threads for this very reason. Pm's only.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Wondermike

Post by Wondermike » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:23 pm

I think it's always something that will happen on a specific owners forum, as there is a lot of knowledge (or not in some cases) floating around. Every now and then some of the threads get tidied up due to comments, but not that often. I don't think commenting is actively discouraged or encouraged.

At the end of the day it's a free service, so there will be compromises. You can sell without risk of comment by using Autotrader.

bigdog

Post by bigdog » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:31 pm

Or it could be forum policy to state that if one isn't in the market for said item and only want's to comment on the price. Then do it via PM.
"Car Lovers drive Lotus Elises or Zeds, Psychopaths drive Se7ens."

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:52 pm

Thinking of a certain for sale thread recently when something was bring sold as black when it wasn't and asking way over the top. Should we of all kept quiet for a member to get ripped off?

andysat
Lifer
Lifer

Post by andysat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:54 pm

srhutch wrote:Thinking of a certain for sale thread recently when something was bring sold as black when it wasn't and asking way over the top. Should we of all kept quiet for a member to get ripped off?
What was that then mate?? :D
Gone but not forgotten.
New ride silver e93.

JaEdBa

Post by JaEdBa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm

in fairness a simple "please pm me with any queries and please do not comment on the price" should do the trick...

there are always the spyers who sit around claiming everything is way over priced, and the buyers who sit around watching the market post sale, trying to claim cars are going up in value, usually cos they told the missus the house deposit was as good as gold in the car they bought for a year...

but I agree with the op, it's bad form.

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:04 pm

srhutch wrote:Thinking of a certain for sale thread recently when something was bring sold as black when it wasn't and asking way over the top. Should we of all kept quiet for a member to get ripped off?

If some member has knowledge of a misleading or possible fraudulent sale then it should be brought to the forums attention
Maybe reported to the mods for removal.

AndyBeech

Post by AndyBeech » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:11 pm

If an advert is mis-leading or just wrong that's one thing. If someone gets ripped off then they only have themselves to blame, should have done more research into the current market prices. It's not up for other people to decide what's a rip off (unless it's a blatant scam) and what isn't, the seller might think they're asking a reasonable amount for their pride and joy, then as others have said it's up for buyers to decide.
I've been guilty of it in the past and don't do it anymore as I wouldn't like others to do it to me if I sold up.
Z4MR - Gruppe M, Bilstein PSS10, CSL's + 18" CSL reps with semi's, RTAB Limiters, Powerflex’d, PF Camber Arms, K-Sport BBK / RSL-29, GC Camber Plates, Strut Brace, Exhaust valves, custom brake cooling, complete underside refresh!